• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

myxi twice a year or once

Twice here.

I think that there is quite a drop off with the protection and having seen an increasing number of vaccinated buns still getting it, I would not risk lessening their protection.

It used to be once for me but I'm in a high risk area in the country and apparently all the buns come down with mixi in the wild round here. So I'm on twice yearly now.

Twice :D It is present all year round and can be brought in on clothes, shoes, hay etc. Buns can get it without having direct contact with other buns who have it.

Twice yearly here for me. We get our hay direct from the farmer and I wouldn't want to risk anything infecting them via that route :)

Twice....seen the devastation at close hand living close to fields and witnessing it at work; so not take the chance.
The thing is, initially it may seem like an extravagance but folks with other types of pets have huge outlays both in time as well as finance. So as I've chosen to be gaurdian for their little lives I do what I can. :love:

Last edited:
I thought Myxi was from gnats and that VHD could be from mice wee etc..

Have I got it the wrong way round?

My understanding is that both can be passed on via clothing/footwear etc. Myxi is passed via an insect that can live in hay etc.

Unvaccinated rabbits get myxi from a biting insect carrying the myxi and then rapidly pass it on from one to another and do not normally survive.
Vaccinated rabbits are much less likely/do not, get myxi from other rabbits- they have to be bitten themselves and then develop nodular myxi which, though often a long distressing(and expensive) illness, has a better prognosis.

Vets used to vaccinate only once a year and twice a year in high risk areas, but the problem is that you may decide not to have the booster- then your area suddenly becomes a high risk area through an increase in biting insects. (The more there are -the more chance of myxi carrying ones.)

I had a bun who got nodular myxi -trust me- It is a horrible disease and well worth the extra cost of the booster.
sue:wave:
ps - I think you should follow your vets recommendations as to whether your area is high risk or not but if they suggest a booster- then have it.

I've asked 3 vets now and they have all said once yearly is okay for where I live. I'm thinking of ignoring them and doing it at 6 months though :roll:

I've asked 3 vets now and they have all said once yearly is okay for where I live. I'm thinking of ignoring them and doing it at 6 months though :roll:

Samwe as this was the reason for my question, ive always done twwice a year becasue i thought i should and better be safe than sorry but the vet has always said its only needed once a year in my area.

I guess the answer is carry on if i want to be 100% safe

Samwe as this was the reason for my question, ive always done twwice a year becasue i thought i should and better be safe than sorry but the vet has always said its only needed once a year in my area.

That's basically it :D Your vet can give an opinion of course but by the time myxi has got to your rabbit it will be too late and then he or she won't be able to help you.... :( I've heard vets give out some pretty duff info tbh. Recently one told a lady who then contacted the rescue to go and get a guinea pig to go with her rabbit :roll::evil:

I find your vets response quite worrying, as my current Vet used to be located in Kent and he said he had come across a few cases of Myxi when he was there :?

Marley had a year between his first and 2nd jab, then every 6 months once i found this forum. My new vet is great, but i havent asked her about vaccination as it hasnt come to that time yet.

My friend who is a vet nurse at the same practice says they dont often vaccinate buns :shock: but she doesnt really work with the rabbits either, so i dont know if thats just her experience :?

She also said that myxi and vhd are practically unheard of in this area. I dont know, i might consider doing it yearly again, but theres no way i woud stop vaccinating them. I think its something ill have to discuss with Jane in feb.

Back