• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding. Duke and Libby Update P 95

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
Started this bond last night and it's not been easy so far. Lots of topping and tailing. Libby is not bothered by having Duke in the bonding pen and has been very busy moving hay, eating, digging, and even washing Duke's head, but for some strange reason Duke has been very nervous around her. He has been thumping almost all night and intermittantly trying to assert himself by humping. She does not want this so starts to top and tail. Some fur pulling but nothing dangerous.

So after my umpteenth cuppa, we had a breakthrough. He groomed her. A first and has made a big change happen. He has been begging for his head to be washed and has been lucky enough to recieve lots of grooming, so now he's done the same, things seem to have changed dramtically. So much so that Libby just did this.....

DayTwo021.jpg

I'm not sure he quite knew what to make of it really.

I actually had to go up really close to ensure breathing was continuing :lol:

DayTwo022.jpg

So he's obviously now understood that she's not a threat and also threw himself on his back with his legs in the air, sadly he moved before the camera came out.

DayTwo005.jpg

Hopefully this bodes well and my posting photos won't jinx this union.

Last edited:
Wow - what relaxed buns. I wish I had bondings that worked that well, that quickly! Even after all this time I still haven't seen Furby and Faye groom - lots of snuggling, but no grooming:(

Duke and Libby look a lovely couple:love:

Wow - what relaxed buns. I wish I had bondings that worked that well, that quickly! Even after all this time I still haven't seen Furby and Faye groom - lots of snuggling, but no grooming:(

Duke and Libby look a lovely couple:love:

Well Karen, it's still not settled by any means. They keep sproradically having a chasey round the houses, but in the main, Duke is more relaxed and that's what this is going to need for it to work. Libby will be fine if he stops trying to mount her.

Grooming is good but not always needed for rabbits to be happy in each other's company. But it does give a very positive sign that they really do like each other. It has to be remembered of course that some bunnies just don't know how to do it, because they've never had a friend before. Sure you'll get there with your two. :D

What great photos Helen. I would have thought she was dead. What a lovely position she got herself in. Fingers crossed for bonding.

Helen! :shock:

I've never seen a bunny in that position before, i didnt think they liked being on their backs at all!

They are lovely looking bunnies, all paws and fingers crossed here for a good bond :)

Helen! :shock:

I've never seen a bunny in that position before, i didnt think they liked being on their backs at all!

They are lovely looking bunnies, all paws and fingers crossed here for a good bond :)

I have to say I do see it quite a lot when bonding. Normally they don't stay on their backs long enough to photograph but end up rolling on their sides, but I think it's just all about being blissfully happy and relaxed.

This was Wilhemina Chocoloppit during bonding just after she righted herself a bit.

Day1.jpg

Great to see the commentary accompanying the photos Helen. We really have our fingers crossed.

Can say that Duke has NEVER laid on his back and put his legs up in the air before, thats a real first.

Given his overall apprehensive/nervous disposition it will definitely take him a while to settle (he hates his travel box as it = trip to the vets ;) ) Amy and I were just saying having seen your email that it just needs him to settle.

Heres keeping everything crossed.

And again, thank you for all the time, effort and patience you are putting in to this.

Leigh & Amy.

hello everyone :oops:

Helen THANK YOU SO MUCH for everything you are doing, as soon as we met I knew you would be the best person for Duke :D (regardless of whether this bond works)

He is such a nervous bunny but essentially he loves company and cuddles, but just needs to trust the people and rabbits (!) around him otherwise everything he does seems to be based on fear. Leigh and I (im amy by the way!) have definitely learnt a lot about Duke in the last 24 hours and ever since we lost Daisy. He went from being nervous but able to keep it relatively in check with Daisys help to sort of, well, very independent but clearly wishing he had company just too afraid to ask for it.

and I can definitely say that Leigh and I have NEVER seen Duke on his back with his legs in the air and that if anyone had ever asked me whether he would do that I would have placed good money that never in a million years would he! For Duke to lie on his side with his legs out beside him is pretty significant (well since he's been on his own at least)

paws crossed

without duke here it seems i now have no excuse not to get the iron out..... cant blame it on the fact he gets let out in the evening and cables etc

1 hour in and plenty more to go!!

without duke here it seems i now have no excuse not to get the iron out..... cant blame it on the fact he gets let out in the evening and cables etc

1 hour in and plenty more to go!!

I have to laugh because all I am doing is sitting watching them together and sitting on the computer with a glass of wine before my big walk round in the garden (but have a pile of ironing to do).

Duke is currently sprawled out with his leggies out the back and Libby is sitting cleaning herself.

They've just had a bit of foraging - added some more hay and some of the food and watched them quite happily nom together - no friction at all. All looking good.

He is incredibly handsome.:love:

Can we switch places?! :lol:

although I couldnt have done what you did last night - incredible

ive let it stack up for weeks preferring to let him out (unsurprisingly!) not quite sure how leigh and i have found any clothes to wear the last few weeks :lol:

he notably changed the last fortnight or so, slightly more withdrawn and independent so this has all definitely come at the right time :D

dont give him too many compliments, his head will get too big for the pen ;)

They've just snuggled ying and yang style

DayTwo007.jpg

And whilst it's not side by side with heads together, they are obviously very relaxed because they wouldn't turn their backs on each other if they were at all worried about each other.

thats wonderful - duke must be pretty relaxed to do that, he will hardly even lay with his back to us preferring always to have his beady eye on us

he and daisy used to head snuggle but maybe that will come in time for him and libby - perhaps they are both just a bit shy being on such a public date :lol:;)

This morning we have had alsorts - more chasing, lots more thumping from the master drummer Duke, a bit of toilet roll arranging, lots of head washing, even more happy flopping and much, much bondysmooching.

Headwashing

DayThree007.jpg

Snuggling

DayThree005.jpg

Faceysquidging

DayThree003.jpg

and lots of lying downey

DayThree009.jpg

Not so shabby for only a couple of days.

They'll be kept in this space probably until tomorrow and then if they continiue to blossom together, I'll increase their space. Fingers crossed we don't go backwards :D

Back