• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pulmonary oedema with normal chest sounds

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
has anyone had this happen to a bun theyve had or known of perhaps in a sanctuary or ebony eyes or rainbow bunnys?

in two days dazy-mae was examined by three vets and more on the saturday and sunday before being pts.

the necropsy showed several things but the overall big thing was pulmomnary oedema..even thop she wasnt laboured breathing just fast like stressed which was normal as they were both settling in.
i couldnt hear anything obvious....and none of the vets could hear anything abnormal either. she was pts at the tea time and tissue samples as part of the necropsy were couried to the labs the next morning.

she only had a few air pockets functioning...with that and the high fever..it was shocking how she could have survived those few days. but she was off a few days before..mainly from attacking merlin and the cats...she had a haematoma on her tummy from merlin.

there was abnormal things in other areas...and the 5 weird spots on her liver was from hepatic coccidiosis. it was in her bile duct too. But this was not the cause of her death.

no one could have seen it..no vets could have detected it.....

the infection becomes active two weeks after infection right?

so its my fault....getting rehomed but after such a long journey must have stressed her beyond belief and everything came together and within three days she had to be pts as she was fading away in front of our eyes.

the thought from the necropsy was it may have been vhd despite no bleeding..or the others getting sick etc.

its been a bit baffling all around.........

i took bluebell to be weighed so all 3 buns have now got to be dosed with baycox for two days...then a two week break...then two days again. I have even been given poo sample pots to collect from all 3 buns after treatment is done.

Sorry Debbie, I have no idea. :? :cry:

I guess sometimes things get missed, and sometimes infection can be so acute it's hard to assess. Sounds rather like an acute pneumonia? :? I hope you got her ashes back ok. Big hugs x

Back