• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

agressive rabbit

Mandyt

New Kit
Our rabbit passed away so we went out and brought a new one - the pet shop said to get a lion head as they are one of the best. so we did. he was living in side for a first winter and ended up casing my daughter onto her bed and wouldnt let her of. we have got him neutured but he still continues be be aggressive... He now lives in a hutch at the bottom of the garden he have other rabbits within site (male and female all neutured or spray) he have interration with other rabbits within the run. he gets feed twice a day, no ovi health signs (do health checks nothing wrong) and he still is aggressive, he lives in the hutch on his own. once out he tends to be slightly better but when ever you entre his cage he is grind his teeth snort and fly at you trying to bite - he bit and drew blood on me this morning. He thumps his back feet also

whats the matter with him ? and what can i do to stop it ?

How long ago did you get him neutered because it can take 6 - 12 weeks for their hormones to die down.
I've never had a rabbit thats that aggressive towards people but I do have a grumpy rabbit. He had been kept in a breeding cage (tiny) and on his own. After I had him neutered I got him a wifey who he absolutely adored. I spent alot of time cuddling him and spending time with him. Feeding him vegetables by hand trying to gain his trust. He now gives lovely cuddles and comes running up to me.
I might be wrong but your rabbit does sound abit lonely? Id definately go to a rescue and try and find him a partner. Spend time with him. If hes aggressive do it slowly. Get him to take food from your hand. Play with him i.e roll a ball for him give him boxes to play with. Let us know how you get on!! :wave:

Just read your post again and it sounds as though you cant even get close enough to him to handle him much. So maybe my advice isnt right just yet. Hopefully someone else will come on with some more advice.
I know the thumping is a warning sign. Territorial? They can pick up on your anxieties and feel anxious themselves. Good luck!!

How long since his neuter? How big is his hutch? Does he have an attached run?

In my limited experience of lionheads they don't tend to be friendly so I think the pet shop has led you on a merry dance to be honest. That's why in my opinion rescues are better because they can tell you their personality as an adult.

Have you considered getting him a friend? Nutmeg was quite aggressive until she was bonded with another rabbit. If you are worried about doing this yourself a rescue will lend you a hand.

Back