• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another RSPCA question...

Candiflare

Mama Doe
I have reserved a bun at the RSPCA but nobody has contacted me about him for a month now... I've called and emailed a couple of times but they're always so (understandably!) busy I'm not sure what to do..

I need to get Ruby partnered up ASAP - how long do you think I should leave it before going to a different rescue?

Do they have an 'open house' time where they are open to the public for viewing etc? If so I would go down to them and ask face to face. What are you putting the the title of your emails? can you put something like 'my reserved rabbit- ugent info required' also, consider putting am 'importnant' status on it and/ or a read reciept, that way you know if anyone has actually seen it.

I would say you would like to have a timescale the adoption will be completed by and if they don't stick to it you can then politely say if they are not in a position tp help you by X date then you are able to get a bun from elsewhere. I think some shelters have a policy against rehoming over the xmas period so this may be affecting it as well.

Hiya. I've been a homechecker for our local RSPCA for a couple of years and you should definitly have heard something back by now. I try to ring to arrange a homecheck within a few days, but each RSPCA branch is run individually, they just come under the "RSPCA" umbrella :)

Can you call into the branch?

The branch is about an hour away from me (I thought it was less when I originally went) so it's not somewhere I can just go after work unfortunately. I think I will have to give it a time limit and then adopt from somewhere else.

They're over-run, I know, with all sorts of animals and not just buns, and it's run entirely by volunteers, so I don't blame them at all for not getting back to me, but I filled out all the forms and gave all my details and picked the bun and he's changed on the website as reserved etc, so...

Jane Dexter at Warwick and Tracy in Rugby have loads of bunnies waiting for homes and both will do the bonding for you, it's really worth checking them out

Just got my bun from the RSPCA, they were very good and called the same afternoon to do the homecheck. We were then told the next day that we could have her and picked her up two days later.

It sounds really strange that they haven't been in touch.

Jane Dexter at Warwick and Tracy in Rugby have loads of bunnies waiting for homes and both will do the bonding for you, it's really worth checking them out

I will do Snowy and of course, Alice at Windwhistle. I just thought that RSPCA was my nearest rescue (in Oxfordshire) but it turns out they're about an hour away from me, and I would probably have done better going to Alice's or Jane's. But now I've "reserved" him I feel like I ought to see it through.

Just got my bun from the RSPCA, they were very good and called the same afternoon to do the homecheck. We were then told the next day that we could have her and picked her up two days later.

It sounds really strange that they haven't been in touch.

Interesting...this has definitely taken A LOT longer!

I will do Snowy and of course, Alice at Windwhistle. I just thought that RSPCA was my nearest rescue (in Oxfordshire) but it turns out they're about an hour away from me, and I would probably have done better going to Alice's or Jane's. But now I've "reserved" him I feel like I ought to see it through.

Of course Alice, I forgot you are quite near to her, in all honesty if they haven't come back to you in that length of time then I think you are on a loser and how do you know they will bond, where as if you take yours to Alice she will do the bonding for you

Thats bad, even when im very busy, i always make sure i keep in touch with potential adopters who have shown an interest in adopting an animal from our branch. If someone calls me to adopt an animal, i like to get their homecheck done within 7 days and the whole process of collecting the animal is normally complete within 14 days... easily :? Obviously it depends how much help & advice people need, but still, a month is way too long :( Maybe theyve forgotten? xx

ETA: If you are going to a different rescue i would call the RSPCA and let them know, just incase theres a reason for their hold up :? If they ask why, explain you've waited long enough? xx

They used to have a telephone number of the RSPCA Oxfordshire website but all the websites are combined now. Perhaps give them a ring.

Here's there details

http://www.rspcaoxfordshire.org.uk/animalcentre.html

I second what Snowy said about Jane Dexter there are too many too choose from. I understand what you are saying about seeing it through.

Also you might want to pm CrazyBun as she has put an RSPCA Willow Farm bunny in Rabbits in Need.

Last edited:
Took them weeks to sort out my homecheck. Am I right in thinking you have previously adopted from fat fluffs? They abandoned my homecheck in the end and took a reference from Chloe. I felt exactly the same as you I had reserved him and felt I should see it through but I would have done better to go elsewhere. Speak to the homecheck team and see if they will accept a reference!

Thanks Alio, yes the same thing's happening to me. I don't want to be the person that pulls out of an adoption but Ruby is really lonely and she has ALWAYS been with other rabbits and she's been 6 weeks now without rabbit company. It's really sad to see her.

I need to get her started with bonding to another bunny this weekend and the RSPCA have said they'd call me tomorrow when I called them again today, but I have a feeling this is just going to take ages.

Does Jane Dexter do bondings? I might just contact Chloe at FF too as I'm sure they can sort it out quickly

I just feel bad for this little bun I have reserved... maybe he will never get adopted :( :(

ETA: Texting Alice now...
ETA2: Oh for God's sake, the RSPCA have just CALLED!

Last edited:
Thanks Alio, yes the same thing's happening to me. I don't want to be the person that pulls out of an adoption but Ruby is really lonely and she has ALWAYS been with other rabbits and she's been 6 weeks now without rabbit company. It's really sad to see her.

I need to get her started with bonding to another bunny this weekend and the RSPCA have said they'd call me tomorrow when I called them again today, but I have a feeling this is just going to take ages.

Does Jane Dexter do bondings? I might just contact Chloe at FF too as I'm sure they can sort it out quickly

I just feel bad for this little bun I have reserved... maybe he will never get adopted :( :(

ETA: Texting Alice now...
ETA2: Oh for God's sake, the RSPCA have just CALLED!

Jane Dexter's husband does the bondings and very good he is too.

Have I missed the verdict??? Which bun are you going for? I can also vouch for Jane Dexter, I foster for her. She has some gorgeous buns there at the moment. :wave:

i'm going for alice :wave:

i was really disappointed with the rspca woman.

She said "I know nothing about rabbits and I'm really busy, but I'll come along to have a look when I have time..."

i'm going for alice :wave:

i was really disappointed with the rspca woman.

She said "I know nothing about rabbits and I'm really busy, but I'll come along to have a look when I have time..."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

If ya need home checking, tell Alice I might be able to do it :D and I will wear a jacket with many pockets...... maybe a suitcase actually?

Back