• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a bereaved doe

Rykat

Mama Doe
Hi all

I have a 3 yr french lop x doe who lost her partner yesterday and would like to know peoples opinions/experience of bonding her to one of my single males or into a trio.

Little Benji was approx 5 yrs old, he hadn't been poorly, hadn't lost weight but had started to look older over the last few months. I found him lying on his side, he appeared to have gone quite peacefully (I hope) :cry:

I don't know what to do about Opal though but what I do know is although I would love to be able to offer another bunny a home, I really don't want to get another one unless I have to.

I have 2 single males, Zander who is 9 and lost his partner earlier this year but wouldn't bond with her and Benji so stayed single, and Harvey, recently neutered 8/9 year old.

My concern is the age difference, but the other buns are Bunicular & Dylan (7 year old nethie & mini lop and Attilla and Daisy (2/3 year old REW & nethie).

I have moved the crates around so that she has Zander on one side and Attilla & Daisy on the other, and at the moment although Opal is quieter than normal she is eating/pooing ok and coming to great me.

How soon could I try start bonding? I'm more confident bonding 2 than a trio or more, but regardless of what I want, I have to do what is best for Opal and I just don't know.

Any advice welcome :)

I'm no expert but I started bonding Buzz about 5 days after losing Molly cause he was looking so miserable.

So sorry to hear about Benji. :cry:

All I can say is that Homer and Cassie get on fine and there has never been any aggression what so ever. Homey is 7.5 and Cassie is 2. (Katy is 5 but I'll leave her out of this for now with regards to bonding :roll:)

Therefore I would say it is personalities rather than age that is a consideration.

Maybe trying a trio with your two single boys now that harvey has been "done" may work. Hilda has 2 boys and a young girlie which works well!

If Opal seems happy enough then there is no reason you cant start straight away. I do think your comment about the boys ages and possibly not being with her for that long is worth thinking about.

The offer is there to come and help on Sat if you would want help. Hugs hun noserubs to Opal

Back