• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad idea/good idea... ? UD - Made them a little pen

georgie_f

Mama Doe
There have been some bunnies advertised on the freecycle site down here for ages and the owner finally put a picture of them up the other day...

U51762F1QEFTVJPE.JPG

Now, me being me, I see two bunnies in a apparently teeny hutch that's filled with what looks like fur... :shock: I emailed the owner and asked if they knew what sex they were and they messaged back saying they're both boys (I'm hoping they're right and that the fluff is hamster bedding...).

I'm so tempted to go and get these bunnies. I have an indoor pen and a 4X2 empty hutch - I know neither would be ideal but could it be worse than the hutch they're in now?! I'd be happy to get them neutered and rehome them. Either through here or I'll ask the RSPCA to put them on the waiting list if I can't rehome them myself.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not... Have I gone insane RU?! :shock::oops:

Last edited:
poor buns :( if it was me.. i think i would go and get them, i know like you are saying you have not got alot of room but surely its gotta be better then .. that :(

It does look like some sort of hamster bedding and not fur to me.
Are they giving the hutch away too? If you do take the rabbits take the hutch aswell so no other bunnies end up in it.

Well that picture nearly had me in tears - thats all im saying :cry:

That's what got me too. I didn't pay the advert much attention until the picture appeared. But knowing my luck, I'll get there and it'll be some multi-leveled rabbit palace and I'll of rescued two bunnies that didn't need rescuing. :oops:

It does look like some sort of hamster bedding and not fur to me.
Are they giving the hutch away too? If you do take the rabbits take the hutch aswell so no other bunnies end up in it.

The advert says their run comes free. I'm not sure about the hutch but I suspect they'd give me that too. They say they're 'gettign rid of them' because they're attracting a fox into the garden. :shock:

If I could get the hutch and the run in my car, I would and I'd drop them off at the dump on the way home. ;)

That's what got me too. I didn't pay the advert much attention until the picture appeared. But knowing my luck, I'll get there and it'll be some multi-leveled rabbit palace and I'll of rescued two bunnies that didn't need rescuing. :oops:

Ask them if the rabbits come with the hutch, if they say yes ask for a picture of it. Did they say why they giving the rabbits away?

This just screams out to anyone with a heart :cry:

If you have the financial means to deal with whatever comes out of this then I would say yes - go for it. At least go and have a look at the conditions they are in and see if that picture tells the whole story. If so then your set up and the love and attention you can give would seem far more preferable than leaving them to their fate where they are!

However, you have to be prepared for potential problems that could escalate vet bills far beyond just neutering costs and then after all that they may end up being with you longer term if you cannot get them easily rehomed.

If you still feel you could manage all that then definitely answer your heart's call :)

They looked really cramped in that hutch :(
Im pretty sure what your offering is better than what they have now...
But the choice is yours of course... And i hope you make the right decision for both you and the buns...

Ps, i say go get them :oops: :lol:

Ask them if the rabbits come with the hutch, if they say yes ask for a picture of it. Did they say why they giving the rabbits away?

Yes, they said they're getting rid of them because they're attracting a fox into the garden and they don't want anything to happen to them.

However, you have to be prepared for potential problems that could escalate vet bills far beyond just neutering costs and then after all that they may end up being with you longer term if you cannot get them easily rehomed.

This is what worries me. If they are both male, I can afford to get them neutered. I've moved vet and a male neuter is only £45 (I have a little saved up for emergencies for my own buns too so I could use that if need be). I can get their myxi jabs done too. It just worries me that I'll end up with them for ages and they'll be stuck in my little spare hutch. I volunteer for the RSPCA over here - I'm not sure how long their waiting list is but in the six weeks I've been volunteering, only one rabbit has been re-homed and only one new rabbit has come in.

I'm not sure if it'd be fair to take them from one too small hutch only to put them in another for what could be quite some time. :(

well, you could always foster and rehome...

I feel sorry for them. If you can afford the vets and have the space, do it. If only as a temporary measure...

;)

If it was me I would ask if I could go and have a look at the rabbits. It might not be as bad as it looks.

Get them! :D

Yes!! Anything is better than THAT!! And i do see your argument about getting them and putting them in a small pen but it will be bigger than that and because you are rabbit knowledgable, you will also provide other care they need - not just adequate shelter but free run time and food care.

They sooo need a better life! Can you even do it temporarily??

Back