PDA

View Full Version : Bernard and Tilly bonding.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Hi

Just started the bonding process between Bernard and Tilly.

(never done it before so worried!)

Started by putting Bernard in his cage and putting a cover over it. Then brought Tilly in to the room to have a sniff around so that they could smell each other but not see each other.

Bernard was freaking out because he never gets locked in his cage so he was chewing the bars and making a racket.

Tilly wasn't bothered by the noise Bernard was making but just hopped around the room exploring.

I picked Tilly up and put her in her carry case (she didn't seem bothered by any of this) and then out her back in her cage in the other room.

I have now let Bernard out and he is sniffing the areas that she has been and I think he ate some of her poop :oops:

Then he let me stroke him, I gave him some apple treat and he went binkying round the room!!

he has now voluntarily gone back into his cage to finish his breakfast
(this has all happened in the space of about 20mins)

I'm excited!!

Going to give them a rest then put the covers over Tilly and let Bernard sniff around her room.

Anyone got any advise/ ideas?

Thank you :)

bunnymadhouse
13-12-2010, 10:17 AM
i would put them in a room neither one has been in ...or at least one that they havent spent much time in and see what happens .;)

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Bernard has been in the room whilst Tilly was under the cover in her cage. She was moving around a lot, I'm guessing she was trying to see what was going on.

Bernard was sniffing around the room but started stomping his feet and making squeaky noises. He then figured out that she was in the cage and was sniffing around it.

I decided to bring Bernard back in to the living room after about ten mins. He seems fine now and just having a wash, Tilly is in her cage still but uncovered in the other room.

Not sure what to do now :?

Any help please???

becky963
13-12-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm no bonding expert, I've only done it twice, and just did what I'd read to be reccommended on here! How I did it was to put them both in a 4ft pen in a room they'd never been before with nothing but water, food (which I scattered) and hay. I had a broom on hand to slide one away from the other if I thought things were getting out of hand. Humping, chasing and fur pulling is allowed, but if they start circling each other to intervene, as this can turn into a fight. Thankfully I never had to use the broom, but it is nerve wracking!! Good luck hope they fall madly in love :love::love:

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 10:25 AM
i would put them in a room neither one has been in ...or at least one that they havent spent much time in and see what happens .;)

That would be the kitchen but it is too small to put the cages in. They would have to be free range and not behind the bars so i was planning on doing this when they had sniffed each other so long as they both seemes ok.

I'm a bit worried by Bernard stomping his feet.. (he never goes in the bedroom as usually we like to keep it bunny free but sometimes charges in when you open the door)

I was thinking of doing the same thing again but this time with the covers off the cages to see how they react.
What do you think?

Should I wait an hour so they can settle down again?

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm no bonding expert, I've only done it twice, and just did what I'd read to be reccommended on here! How I did it was to put them both in a 4ft pen in a room they'd never been before with nothing but water, food (which I scattered) and hay. I had a broom on hand to slide one away from the other if I thought things were getting out of hand. Humping, chasing and fur pulling is allowed, but if they start circling each other to intervene, as this can turn into a fight. Thankfully I never had to use the broom, but it is nerve wracking!! Good luck hope they fall madly in love :love::love:

Ok this sounds like a good plan. I would need to make a pen of some sort that would fit in our teeny tiny kitchen :lol:

oo I'm so nervous. I don't know what's best to do...

bunnymadhouse
13-12-2010, 10:28 AM
That would be the kitchen but it is too small to put the cages in. They would have to be free range and not behind the bars so i was planning on doing this when they had sniffed each other so long as they both seemes ok.

I'm a bit worried by Bernard stomping his feet.. (he never goes in the bedroom as usually we like to keep it bunny free but sometimes charges in when you open the door)

I was thinking of doing the same thing again but this time with the covers off the cages to see how they react.
What do you think?

Should I wait an hour so they can settle down again?

he is probably just nervy because he knows something is going on . ..

yes you could let them get to know each other through the bars .. just watch they dont nip noses .

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 10:31 AM
he is probably just nervy because he knows something is going on . ..

yes you could let them get to know each other through the bars .. just watch they dont nip noses .

ok, I will do it the same way as before then I think, Bernard in his cage and Tilly sniffing round him, then see how Bernard reacts as I think it will be easier to shoo Tilly away than it will to shoo Bernard if he starts getting nervy.

Then if all goes well I will let Bernard into Tillys room again..

eeek i'm soooo scared

pigsforlife
13-12-2010, 10:40 AM
I think I would try seeing how they get along in a neutral area. We did this with Noah and Charlee, in a 4ft cage. In the cage I had hay and no litter tray. I sprinkled parsley around as a distractor. After several hours of almost non-stop humping :shock: things began to settle down so I introduced a litter tray. After 12 hours they were fine together. I didn't intervene once, just left them to sort it out. Obviously if it looked like they were about to fight I would have but Charlee was SO submissive there was almost no chance of that happening.

Good luck! :D I was a nervous wreck :lol:

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm a nervous wreck too. Giving it an hour or so before I do anything else. Going to let bernard free range around the living room and Tilly free range around the bedroom whilst I get a shower and get dressed and then decide what to do.

I'm freaking out a bit now. Thought it went brilliantly when Tilly came to sniff Bernards room as Tilly seemed really happy and then when bernard came out he was sniffing round and binkying!!
I don't think it went very well when bernard saw her room as he stomped his foot and squeaked.

He is fine again now in his room though, as if nothing has happened :?

I wish animals could talk to us!!

pigsforlife
13-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Stomping is normal :)

Prior to introducing, I had them in adjacent cages. I would let Noah in to Charlee's cage and he would stomp and grunt. Must be a male thing :roll: :lol::lol:

The only reason why I didnt go straight into a full on bond was because Noah had only recently been neutered.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Stomping is normal :)

Prior to introducing, I had them in adjacent cages. I would let Noah in to Charlee's cage and he would stomp and grunt. Must be a male thing :roll: :lol::lol:

The only reason why I didnt go straight into a full on bond was because Noah had only recently been neutered.

Bernard was neutered two weeks ago. The vet advised that two weeks is sufficient for the hormones to settle down but I'm sure he will still e a bit hormonal.

Tilly is being great, I think we def picked the right bun. She is happily hopping around her room at the moment.

Bernard is in his room and has been binkying again and trying to get attention an cuddles! :lol:

I have come in to see Tilly as I wanted to make sure she wasn't freaked out by the whole thing as she did only arrive here yesterday at about 1pm!!
She is really cute, jumping on to the bed and letting me give stroke her.

:love: I really want my two buns to fall in love because they are both adorable!!

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Right, I put Bernard in his cage without a cover on. I then let Tilly in the room.

Tilly had a wander and Bernard watched her. She then got closer to him and he watched her.

Then when she got too close to the catch he started chewing the bars and made her jump.

Tilly then wandered off again around the room and Bernard got annoyed when he couldn't see her and tried to get out of his cage.

Then when she appeared again, he watched her. She got closer to him and he continued to watch her. Then she got too close and he tried to get at her so she ran away :(

Tilly is now in her cage again in the other room. I gave her strokes, she crunched her teeth and closed her eyes then ate some nuggets so I left her in peace.

baernard is running around sniffing and has been binkying again :? I'm soo confused.

he is now eating and seems pretty happy.

What's going on??

ETA: I have text OH, he thinks that Bernard is binkying because he has 'won' and has 'fought off' a predator/ rival.. I was hoping it would be more because he is excited but I think OH's theory sounds more realistic :(

pigsforlife
13-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I think it is more likely that Bernard was getting frustrated that he could see her but not get to her. I am no expert, but I would probably stop these meetings and try popping them together in a neutral area. Either that or set up their cages permanently side by side for a couple of weeks. That would give them the chance to get to know each other through the bars and would give Bernard more time for his hormones to settle down.

bunnymadhouse
13-12-2010, 01:31 PM
i think some of it is because he was in the cage ... if he isnt used to being shut in it will be terribly frustrating for him .

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Sorry I didn't see these posts, I have just done the same but the other way around.

Tilly was in her cage and Bernard had a wander round.

They touched each others noses a few times through the bars like they were kissing!!

No aggression other than Till tried to nip Bernards nose at one point but this was my fault as I was hovering around and flinched because I was nervous :oops: bernard ran off but came back again and they kept touching each others noses.

Bernard was exploring the room and Tilly was watching him and following him from inside her cage.

They seemed curious of each other rather than angry at each other.

Overall I think the meeting went well and both buns are back in seperate rooms and have both had snuggles from me so they are both relaxing.

I am now going to wait until Simon gets home from work at around 4 and then put them together in the kitchen (neutral area)

I'm pleased by how it is going, think you are both right that Bernard was frustrated about being bbehind the bars and also seemed to chew the bars when he couldn't see her.

I noticed that Bernard was watching my reactions to Tilly and seemed to wait until I gave him 'the nod' before going to her!

Thanks for all your help and advise, I'll keep updating :)

pigsforlife
13-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Sounds like they are making good progress! I hope it continues to go well.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Sounds like they are making good progress! I hope it continues to go well.

Thank you me too. Thanks for all your advise :)

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm having a rest now, soooo tired!! Think a nice piece of chocolate cake, a cup of coffee and a catch up on the last two episodes of 'The Event' is what I need!!

Buns are in seperate rooms so I will watch one episode with one bun and then another episode with the other :lol:

Simon can continue with the bond when he gets home :p

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I know this doesn't really have much to do with the thread but thought I'd upload some more photo's of the gorgous girlie to show how well she is settling in.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1359.snc4/163168_1526817526038_1102661253_31244375_3588396_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs029.ash2/34816_1526818766069_1102661253_31244377_6171517_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1384.snc4/163633_1526819246081_1102661253_31244379_8135335_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1194.snc4/154596_1526819806095_1102661253_31244380_4623411_n .jpg

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 06:28 PM
On for the next stage, Simon is home and we have sectioned off part of the kitchen where they will both be going to 'officially' meet :D

Wish me luck everyone!!

(last minute tips/advise is welcome :))

Jenova
13-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Good luck. And my only advice is try to stay calm! :lol:
They'll feed off your emotions.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Good luck. And my only advice is try to stay calm! :lol:
They'll feed off your emotions.

Thank you! I noticed this earlier when Tilly tried to nip bernards nose because I had flinched due to nerves!! :oops:

I will keep updating :D

Bernard has just been looking for her out in the hall way, was jumping around and trying to sniff things to see where she was! (I presume this is what he was doing anyway)

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 08:38 PM
OK so we put them in togetherm they circled each other and it was Tilly that was stressing out and trying to attack so we seperated them.

When they calmed down Bernard chased her and humped her.. loads. She went submissive and he humped her and humped her. Then he ate some hay and came back over to her and she ran, he chased her, started humoing her but OH wasn't happy and thought that she might be frightened and pulled her out.

She did look very scared and he seemed fine but she tried jumping out of the pen at one point.

I think we have split them up too soon but Simon wasn't happy.

Should we leave it tonight and then try again tomorrow?

ETA: or should we try again now? I don't want to stress them out too much but i don't want them to have to go through the same thing tomorrow

Jenova
13-12-2010, 08:48 PM
How long were they together?
Rabbits can fight when they're bonding, humping and fur pulling is normal, but you're right to stop it if the buns look distressed. I would try again tomorrow.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 08:57 PM
How long were they together?
Rabbits can fight when they're bonding, humping and fur pulling is normal, but you're right to stop it if the buns look distressed. I would try again tomorrow.

They were only together for about 5 to 10 minutes. I think Tilly looked really unsure and was running away but I think both OH and I panicked as we kept stopping them. I think we made it worse :(

Bernard was humping and he was fur pulling too but she didnt do anything. She isn't stressed out now she is back in her room, she seems fine but that doesn't mean to say that she wasn't stressed out before.

Bernard was fine, when we split them up we put her in a carry case to bring her down and he kept trying to get back in the pen to get to her. he then came down the stairs grunting to himself.

I'm really upset because I'm just so nervous and think it's my fault that we jumped in too quickly :cry:

SiStampie
13-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I was a bit worried more so then Tasmin I think. It's new to me this bonding and although we've read a lot and got advice I think I panicked :(:oops:

Bernards a little ****** sometimes and I know how his nips feel he regularly nips me when I clean his cage out.

Tillys only been with us two days so we're just getting use to her personality, She seems brave but quiet and I was worried that she’s had to deal with moving, leaving her sister, meeting our ugly mugs and then she’s flung into a small pen with a rampant.... rabbit!

Think we're going to stay strong and try again soon, at least they've properly met. :)

Jenova
13-12-2010, 09:07 PM
You have to let them do their thing as long as they're not actually fighting. Try not to be too nervous. I know it's hard but remember that's how they communicate. What size space are you using? About 3 foot is good. :)

SiStampie
13-12-2010, 09:25 PM
You have to let them do their thing as long as they're not actually fighting. Try not to be too nervous. I know it's hard but remember that's how they communicate. What size space are you using? About 3 foot is good. :)

We have a narrow kitchen we cautioned off a section at the end and it's about 3ft by 3ft.

Thanks for the advice think.
We're all stressed but looking back on it we should have let them get on with it.
First time nerves I guess.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 09:26 PM
It's sort of a sguare shape in the kitchen, It's not very big, I'll take a picture of it and show you.

I think we will have to try again tomorrow and step bakc a little bit. At least they didn't hurt each other and they only circled each other when they first went in. To be honest I think Tilly didn't realise he was there and this could have started it as she seemed to be the one that attacked.

They always seem to surprise you do buns, I thought Bernard would be the one we needed to watch but it was actually Tilly :lol:

Poor babies.

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks for all of your help Jenova by the way. I'm glad you replied as I was getting panicky :oops:

x

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I'll keep updating tomorrow x

SiStampie
13-12-2010, 09:34 PM
It's sort of a sguare shape in the kitchen, It's not very big, I'll take a picture of it and show you.

I think we will have to try again tomorrow and step bakc a little bit. At least they didn't hurt each other and they only circled each other when they first went in. To be honest I think Tilly didn't realise he was there and this could have started it as she seemed to be the one that attacked.

They always seem to surprise you do buns, I thought Bernard would be the one we needed to watch but it was actually Tilly :lol:

Poor babies.

I'm surprised how easy it was to pin Bernard down when we have to, he's normally like Houdini.
He can get out of any hold!
:shock:

Tasmin's MOB
13-12-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm surprised how easy it was to pin Bernard down when we have to, he's normally like Houdini.
He can get out of any hold!
:shock:

I know but it was me that pinned him down ;)

SiStampie
13-12-2010, 09:36 PM
I know but it was me that pinned him down ;)

I had to as well at one point :cry:
Tillys strong!!

bunnymadhouse
13-12-2010, 10:19 PM
SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE BEEN HAVING AN EVENTFULL TIME ..

IVE BEEN WRAPPING PRESSIES SO ONLY JUST GOT BACK ON HERE ..

WHAT YOU DESCRIBE SOUNDS PERFECTLY NORMAL TO ME .. EVEN YOU PANICKING ;)...ALL THE BONDS WE HAVE DONE AND I STILL HATE IT :roll::roll:

i AGREE WITH WHAT JENOVA SAYS ... GOOD ADVICE THERE .. ;)

GOT LUCK FOR TOMORROW .. :wave:

Jenova
13-12-2010, 10:29 PM
You guys will be fine. Being nervous is a sign of being good owners. :)

pigsforlife
14-12-2010, 01:49 AM
Noah humped Charlee almost non-stop for 2 hours. After that it was on and off for a further 3 hours. 10-15 minutes is nothing :lol: :lol:

I agree that you should try again. Humping is normal bunny behaviour.

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Noah humped Charlee almost non-stop for 2 hours. After that it was on and off for a further 3 hours. 10-15 minutes is nothing :lol: :lol:

I agree that you should try again. Humping is normal bunny behaviour.

I think Simon was worried that Tilly might go into shock through being scared, he knew someone that kept a dog and a rabbit and the dog tried to play but the bun died of shock so he's very very cautious of it now. I know Tilly wasn't enjoying herself bless her but I think if we'd have left them to it he might have got it out of his system and then they could form a nice hump free relationship :lol:

Bernard keeps trying to leg it to the kitchen every time we open the door :lol: :shock:

Anyway today is a new day and we will give it another go :)

Wish us luck!

X

pigsforlife
14-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Yep Charlee was absolutely terrified. She sat there doing nothing. It was horrible and I was SO close to pulling her out as she looked unhappy. OH rightly told me that I was putting human feelings into a bunny relationship, and that humping was just a normal part of the bonding process.

Would you believe, that after those first few hours Noah has NEVER humped Charlee again! :)

Goodluck!

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Yep Charlee was absolutely terrified. She sat there doing nothing. It was horrible and I was SO close to pulling her out as she looked unhappy. OH rightly told me that I was putting human feelings into a bunny relationship, and that humping was just a normal part of the bonding process.

Would you believe, that after those first few hours Noah has NEVER humped Charlee again! :)

Goodluck!

At least you had one brave person with you not like us two couple of chickens :roll:

This has certainly ade e more confident that they will get on ok if we give the more time and space so thank you :)

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:01 PM
We have put them both in the pen again, Bernard keeps trying to hump Tilly and shes not having any of it.

Bernard keeps going back to his hay for a nibble and he seems to be getting frustrated with Tillys lack of co-operation.

Bernards thumping his foot and chasing, Tillys running away and has started banging her foot back at Bernard.

Any ideas? :(

ETA: Bernard is now eating hay and has drank some water, Tilly was flopped out a moment ago but has now just sat in the corner. when she had a nibble of hay bernard came over to her and she moved away.

At one point bernard went over to her and sniffed her, rubbed his chin on her and she stomped and ran off.

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Please help me I'm panicking

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Bernard is just trying to touch her nose and sniff her and she won't give him a chance.

She has just been washing so I don't think she is too disturbed by it all but she just doesn't like him

He was digging and she stomped at him for digging :(

Maybe she just doesn't like bernard as he isn't even trying to hump her he just wants to snuggle up to her.

Then they touched noses again and she let him but he tried to get closer and she ran away

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Both are eating hay it's calming down a little bit but Tilly is still Thumping and not giving Bernard much of a chance :(

All in all it's more settled than last night!

chloemurray
14-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Please don't panic:)
It all seems perfectly normal to me.

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Please don't panic:)
It all seems perfectly normal to me.

Thank you I'm pleased to hear this. Bernard now eating hay, Tilly has eaten but rolled over and has flopped out as if relaxed :shock:

She will allow bernard to touch her nose with his but if he gets any closer she runs away!

chloemurray
14-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank you I'm pleased to hear this. Bernard now eating hay, Tilly has eaten but rolled over and has flopped out as if relaxed :shock:

She will allow bernard to touch her nose with his but if he gets any closer she runs away!

Flopping and eating is good!:)

It's okay that she's running away at the moment. Some bonds take weeks! Just give them time:)

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Flopping and eating is good!:)

It's okay that she's running away at the moment. Some bonds take weeks! Just give them time:)

Yay! bernard stuffing his face at the moment and Tilly flopping out and relaxing.

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Bernard still chasing her and she still not enjoying it but both are still munching hay, Tilly nowhere near as much as Bernard.

Bernard doesn't seem too bothered by it all other than getting a bit fustrated that she isn't playing with him. Poor Tilly isn't enjoying being with him.

Going to stick at it. Do they usually calm down and give in after a while of chasing?

ETA:

A couple of pics, not very good ones

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1391.snc4/164353_1528175279981_1102661253_31246557_7094417_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1382.snc4/163456_1528177000024_1102661253_31246560_7187016_n .jpg

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 09:05 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs837.snc4/69751_1528186640265_1102661253_31246577_495768_n.j pg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs837.snc4/69766_1528181840145_1102661253_31246566_3781478_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1176.snc4/154825_1528191040375_1102661253_31246588_7523154_n .jpg

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 09:11 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs356.ash2/63637_1528193960448_1102661253_31246593_7011218_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1336.snc4/162808_1528193160428_1102661253_31246590_4270532_n .jpg

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Both buns have been wiggling tails, Simon has just read that that this is sexual behaviour but Tils is doing it too :?

ETA: also just read that it means 'extreme displeasure'

SiStampie
14-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Think its going ok so far though, might just be a very long night!!!

shay
14-12-2010, 09:27 PM
It's a very good sign that Tilly is washing and flopping. It means she doesn't see Bernard as a threat and is relaxed around him.

I spent last week bonding Pebbles and Barnaby and I'm guessing, like me, you want it to happen quickly and be all finished with (mainly cos you're so worried about them fighting!!).

Barnaby still tries to hump Pebbles, whereas last week she was having none of it, today she's sort of stayed still, then got bored and run off. Sometimes Barnaby does a 'half-hearted' hump and she runs off. :lol:

But the best sign for me is Pebbles grooming Barnaby. She's been with me longest and I know she sees herself as top-bun. So for her to groom Barnaby (and me today:D) is a very good sign.

I still worry about them fighting and constantly look for evidence, but they snatch food from each other and (touch wood) they're quite well-behaved buns.

So good luck, have loads of caffeine and don't panic :wave:

SiStampie
14-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Thought it was funny when Tilly was pulling the cover back then Bernard went to the same spot a bit later on and started pushing it back into the corner! :lol:

He likes things tidy and Tillys very messy

bunnymadhouse
14-12-2010, 09:30 PM
looks and sounds to me as if all is going well .. ;)

it took two days before cookie let nemo near her for more than a few seconds at a time .

It sounds like its going in a similar way to Cookie and Nemo . He wanted to be friends .. she did too but was nervous ..

thumping is nothing to worry about

SiStampie
It's a very good sign that Tilly is washing and flopping. It means she doesn't see Bernard as a threat and is relaxed around him.

I spent last week bonding Pebbles and Barnaby and I'm guessing, like me, you want it to happen quickly and be all finished with (mainly cos you're so worried about them fighting!!).

Barnaby still tries to hump Pebbles, whereas last week she was having none of it, today she's sort of stayed still, then got bored and run off. Sometimes Barnaby does a 'half-hearted' hump and she runs off. :lol:

But the best sign for me is Pebbles grooming Barnaby. She's been with me longest and I know she sees herself as top-bun. So for her to groom Barnaby (and me today:D) is a very good sign.

I still worry about them fighting and constantly look for evidence, but they snatch food from each other and (touch wood) they're quite well-behaved buns.

Thank you,
Can I ask are you bonding them none stop/Continually? or separating them and trying again the next day?

Tasmin's MOB

Thank you for your reply, Keep repeating the same routine, Bernard chasing her, then going back to his hay and Tilly going and flopping out in the corner. This then happens again. Sometimes Bernard just has a sniff and she runs round in circles and he watches her not even attempting to chase her.

At one point she went up to him, sniffed his nose but when he moved towards her she ran away!! Talk about a little tease!

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 10:12 PM
looks and sounds to me as if all is going well .. ;)

it took two days before cookie let nemo near her for more than a few seconds at a time .

It sounds like its going in a similar way to Cookie and Nemo . He wanted to be friends .. she did too but was nervous ..

thumping is nothing to worry about

Thank you!!

We have had a break through! Tilly has let him near her, she keeps going to sniff him!

Then he bowed his head and she sniffed him :D

shay
14-12-2010, 10:46 PM
They were bonded in the 'dating' method. As they're outdoor buns this was the only way to go as I couldn't bring them in the house as no room is cold enough.

Basically, I put their hutches next to each other in Pebbles' aviary enclosure (9ft x 6ft). This way they could get used to each other. The enclosure was split into 2 so both could free-range.

One morning (Friday 3rd) I came down to find Pebbles had got into Barnaby's section and they seemed perfectly happy. So I left them out together (in non-neutral territory) whilst I cleaned / fed them. Then separated them again as I had to go to work. I then made sure that Pebbles (aka Houdini) couldn't get into his enclosure again.

The bunny-dating method was used over the weekend (4th/5th) and they got on well. I did put them in the greenhouse on the 5th (neutral) as I had to clean out both hutches and there was lots of humping and chasing but by this stage Barnaby had already groomed Pebbles on the 4th (big positive !)

Then, on the 7th, I came down to find her on top of his run, she was stuck as it's wire and couldn't move. I have no idea how long she'd been up there and she had to jump quite a distance. At this stage I let them stay together as they were getting on very well, with no aggression and she was in more danger of getting hurt from trying to get to him, rather than being with him.

It was far from the ideal bonding situation and I certainly don't recommend it. I'd intended on using the neutral greenhouse for the bonding but Pebbles just refused to wait for me!

The only time there was any aggression was the first day Barnaby came home and that was Pebbles feeling insecure and biting me. But I'd rather it was me that gets hurt that either of the buns.

So they've been living together 24/7 for a week now and I've seen grooming from both sides and they snuggle up together.

shay
14-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Thank you!!

We have had a break through! Tilly has let him near her, she keeps going to sniff him!

Then he bowed his head and she sniffed him :D

Sounds like he's asking to be groomed. Barnaby did that loads and I sat there saying 'just groom him Pebbles'. My neighbours probably think I'm insane :roll:

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Sounds like he's asking to be groomed. Barnaby did that loads and I sat there saying 'just groom him Pebbles'. My neighbours probably think I'm insane :roll:

hehehe I can just imagine the neighbours listening to you and laughing :lol:

Poor bernard just wants to be friends but Tilly is being a bit slow. I think she's ok with him now tho as she is acting normal and eating hay, drinking water and occasionally going up to him.

I'm soooo pleased that I have RU to help us out!

Really happy with the progress they are making.

Would you recomend us leaving them together then? they both seem pretty happy at the moment so wouldn't like to split them incase they go through the same thing the next time they meet :?

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Bernard is now getting a bit fustrated about being in such a small space, he is used to being free range and has spent the last few hours stuck in a 3 foot space chasing Tilly.

He is now chewing through the cardboard that is enclosing them to try to get out.

They are making steady progress and she will let him closer to her every time. I have put some toys in to stop them from being as bored.

Think we may put them back in seperate areas and call it a day for now. Try again tomorrow and aee how they get on.

We were considering leaving them and sleeping on the kitchen floor but I think Bernard might get too bored :?

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 11:23 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1231.snc4/156355_489002990072_512365072_6007171_7566593_n.jp g

shay
14-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't leave them overnight 'unsupervised'. But if you are prepared to sleep on the kitchen floor it's an option :lol:

Will you be supervising them tomorrow too? It all depends on whether you're doing the bunny-dating or the non-stop bonding method (can't remember the proper name for the second method :oops:)

If you're trying to bond them in one go, then they have to be together supervised for at least 48 hours.

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't leave them overnight 'unsupervised'. But if you are prepared to sleep on the kitchen floor it's an option :lol:

Will you be supervising them tomorrow too? It all depends on whether you're doing the bunny-dating or the non-stop bonding method (can't remember the proper name for the second method :oops:)

If you're trying to bond them in one go, then they have to be together supervised for at least 48 hours.

To be honest I have no idea what method we are using, we have just thought it would be better to see how they are with each other before we decide.

Not too sure. Think we may do the dating method as then they won't get bored stuck in the 3 foot space ALL the time.

Funny thing just happened, gave them both a piece of broccoli and Tilly finished hers first so went over to bernard to steal some of his! Whe he then tried to lick her she ran away! cheeky monkey! :lol:

Thanks again for your help xx

shay
14-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Trying to steal food already ? :lol:

I think the dating method is easier as it doesn't require the constant supervision. You just increase the amount of time they're together. They've spent a good while together tonight with no friction, so it's looking really good.

Tomorrow may be even better, you never know, you may have some grooming :D

Keep us posted :wave:

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Sorry if I'm boring everyone now with all these posts and pics but I'm so excited about the progress

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1380.snc4/163210_1528356444510_1102661253_31246942_5765490_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs754.snc4/65493_1528358604564_1102661253_31246948_5529102_n. jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs355.ash2/63489_1528358924572_1102661253_31246949_2275995_n. jpg

I'm soo happy, don't really want to split them up again now!

Tasmin's MOB
14-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Trying to steal food already ? :lol:

I think the dating method is easier as it doesn't require the constant supervision. You just increase the amount of time they're together. They've spent a good while together tonight with no friction, so it's looking really good.

Tomorrow may be even better, you never know, you may have some grooming :D

Keep us posted :wave:

Ye I really hope we do have some grooming, Tilly is very happy for bernard to sniff her head and her ears but if her moves past the top of her head she panicks. He seems to be doing it with care and very slowly as if he's trying not to frighten her.
I'm so so pleased with the way bernard has been with her tonight, I think he had the humping thing last night and now he just wants to cuddle up. Think Tilly just needs to get used to him and trust him a bit more and they should be fine together.

Like you say, no aggression so it's a really positive sign.

I think we will do the dating method as I suppose we have already started it like this as they met last night and then again tonight.

I'd like to thank you shay (and bunnymadhouse, pigsforlife, jenova, chelle, chloemurray, becky963) for all of your support, we couldn't have done this without you all :)

Loxxy
15-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Just read through your 7 pages of bonding diary :D It sounds like all is going well (tiring, but well :lol:). Hopefully they'll be settled down happily ever after really soon. Keep us posted :bunny:

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Just read through your 7 pages of bonding diary :D It sounds like all is going well (tiring, but well :lol:). Hopefully they'll be settled down happily ever after really soon. Keep us posted :bunny:

Thank you for taking the time out to read our diary! :D

They are both back in sperate beds now Bernard is binkying all over the living room and Tilly is in her cage nomming hay in the bedroom.

I'm so pleased with how it is going so far :love:

victim
15-12-2010, 03:13 AM

Ha lol me too!

sounds just like the problem weve been having when we got a 2nd bun, i was told i had 3 more weeks before i needed them fixed then found out theyre both ready from as little as 10 weeks (both around 12weeks when we got them!)
and they had been running around the same room together for a whole day before i stumbled on theis site (great help btw) suffice there was alot of humping (this is what made me seek advise) and hair pulling, so i split em up got another cage and kept em in diffrent rooms but still play and go out the back together (and ive just been told it takes only a few seconds off humping to get pregenant! (ive been a total fool!)

anyway my point was, jess is the newer bun and frank just humped the life outta the poor wee girl! i kept pushing him off and saying no but nothing was stopping him, then i was told about stress threapy (sounds horrible i know)

one was putting them both in a high top box (like the one you might have got when you bought them) and sitting in the back seat of a car with them on your lap while driving around for 20 mins, theyre supposed to huddle together and bond, i also read that if one bun doesnt mind driving then do not do this, they both have to be scared.

but i used this one, a bath! lol i got bunny shampoo and 30 mins before i started i put them both in the bath with a towel under them and closed the door for 10 mins (lol your supposed to leave but i couldnt:roll:) then back in their cages for 20 mins then bath time! i ran luke warm water with em both in the tub and let it fill to just about an inch of water, then got the shower head and washed em while keeping them both close together.
then i let the water drain then left the room for a min or 2 (dont let them freeze!! just a little shiver) and came back with a big fluffy warm towel n scooped em both up and on to my bed and dried and kept them warm and huddled together, i dried them for a solid 10 mins and used 2 towels then put them in franks cage with loads of hay and they huddled together for ages while eating then we caught them grooming! lol i felt so mean when they were shivering but theres been no humping since and theyve been great with each other, altho from this afternoon theyve been totaly kept apart untill after frank gets the "chop" :( im praying shes not pregenant as i now know its very dangerous at that age! ive never prayed for anything in my life before lol!

i hope all goes well with your babbits!

here is a pic they posed for today!
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/615/sam0036c.jpg

Jenova
15-12-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm sorry I missed most of this. It sounds like it's going amazingly. Tilly sounds like she's playing and getting Bernard to chase her...

Keep it up you'll have snuggle buns in no time. :)

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Victim I'm really pleased your buns are happy together now, and I'm glad you have found RU because I bet like me you thought you were prepared to be a bun owner when really it's surprising how unprepared most people can be!
I have heard of bonding in a bath tub but only because it is a neutral area, never heard of actually washing them but great news that it worked for you! (and you will now have nice,clean and shiny buns ;))
Thank you for sharing your story with me, it's a shame I don't have a bath tub! :lol:
I would get them both neutered (once you know that jess isn't pregnant) and then there is a lower risk that either bun will become hormonal and aggressive. It also prevents uterine cancer in females (which I think happens to about 60% of females so I have read on here)
sorry if you already know this I just thought I'd share incase you didn't :)

Jenova you have cheered me up this morning, I thought she might be doing this too but to have it confirmed is great. I was worried that as Tilly has only been here a few days she may be hating it but I'm with her this morning and she has been binkying around pretty happily and is now nomming hay! :love:

bernard keeps trying to get out to her and just wants to come and play but we are waiting until tonight when Simon finishes work and then we will hope for some grooming.

Grooming vibes please :love:

pigsforlife
15-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Great progress! Sorry I wasn't around earlier when you were worried. It was 3am here :lol: Hopefully it continues to go well.

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Great progress! Sorry I wasn't around earlier when you were worried. It was 3am here :lol: Hopefully it continues to go well.

:lol: that's ok! I hope it continues to go well too! praying that they have some grooming and then i will feel like it is a real success!

SiStampie
15-12-2010, 06:12 PM
i hope all goes well with your babbits!

here is a pic they posed for today!
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/615/sam0036c.jpg

Hi thank you,
I think we're a lot more confident about the whole thing now, they both seem much more relaxed and we can't wait to move on to the next step.

Your Buns are lovely and look really happy together can't wait for ours to be as like that.

shay
15-12-2010, 09:02 PM
It's great that you're now feeling more relaxed about the bonding as this will help Bernard and Tilly too, they can sense our feelings which would make them anxious too. All signs are that your bond is going really, really well. I think they'll be loved up very soon :love:

Good luck for tonight's date :wave:

And don't worry about boring people with your story, keep posting pics as we love looking at bunnies :lol:

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 09:17 PM
It's great that you're now feeling more relaxed about the bonding as this will help Bernard and Tilly too, they can sense our feelings which would make them anxious too. All signs are that your bond is going really, really well. I think they'll be loved up very soon :love:

Good luck for tonight's date :wave:

And don't worry about boring people with your story, keep posting pics as we love looking at bunnies :lol:

Thank you, we have just started tonights date and it couldn't be going better. Tilly is going up to Bernard and they are sniffing each other, she seems really happy with him at the moment and they are both just nomming hay together like a happy couple.

Tilly seems to be copying what Berard does it's really cute! :love:

More pics soon :)

ETA: both buns seem very relaxed and content

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Well no massive changes, they see to be getting on fine together and Tilly is being much more friendly with Bernard tonight. What do we do now?

Leave them for a few hours tonight and split them up again and do the sae thing tomorrow?

or

Should we try introducing them into the hall together?

Not sure if the hall might be a bit of a rush but as they both see really happy it seems like it might be ok?

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 10:08 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs447.ash2/72043_489477635072_512365072_6014092_6386514_n.jpg

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Tilly just let Bernard hump her!!! I think we need to stay put in the kitchen for a while.

shay
15-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Yes, don't increase the space too quickly. I'd keep them in the kitchen tonight and see how it goes.

The humping is basically Bernard trying to assert his dominance. He wants to be top bun :lol: Ideally, Tilly needs to accept that and groom him, even if it's just a little. But if I were her, I'd want to be top bun :D

Just progress at their pace :wave:

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes, don't increase the space too quickly. I'd keep them in the kitchen tonight and see how it goes.

The humping is basically Bernard trying to assert his dominance. He wants to be top bun :lol: Ideally, Tilly needs to accept that and groom him, even if it's just a little. But if I were her, I'd want to be top bun :D

Just progress at their pace :wave:

I would certainly like to see some grooming, that would be lovely but will see how it goes. thank you for your reply :) more pics in a mo

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 10:53 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1238.snc4/157081_1529484832719_1102661253_31249198_6763784_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1357.snc4/162943_1529484232704_1102661253_31249197_4605593_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1389.snc4/164183_1529483592688_1102661253_31249195_6986209_n .jpg

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Bernard just got scared as he heard a loud noise and shot over to Tilly who let him and they sat cuddled for a few seconds :)

Then Bern moved away and heard something else so edged towards her and (as she wasn't scared) she came ovver to him and was sniffing him on the head, he closed his eyes and they did this for a few moments.

It's so cute :D

Loxxy
15-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Glad to hear all's going well still (am reading with interest as am paying a little visit to a local animal rescue on Saturday ;))

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Glad to hear all's going well still (am reading with interest as am paying a little visit to a local animal rescue on Saturday ;))

We are really pleased at the moment. Was stressful to begin with but now it's really lovely seeing them together :love:

Tasmin's MOB
15-12-2010, 11:54 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs604.ash2/155661_1529551434384_1102661253_31249312_8205420_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1374.snc4/164633_1529550554362_1102661253_31249309_5095345_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1236.snc4/156837_1529567114776_1102661253_31249405_1545278_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1214.snc4/156650_1529569034824_1102661253_31249406_2611827_n .jpg

shay
16-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm glad to hear all went well last night. It's good that Bernard sort comfort in Tilly when he got scared.

You're well on the way to having 2 happily bonded buns.

Good luck at the rescue on Saturday. It's your turn next for a bonding diary :wave::lol:

Tasmin's MOB
16-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm glad to hear all went well last night. It's good that Bernard sort comfort in Tilly when he got scared.

You're well on the way to having 2 happily bonded buns.

Good luck at the rescue on Saturday. It's your turn next for a bonding diary :wave::lol:

Thank you. I am really happy with them both. Later on in the night both buns seemed to seek comfort in each other and they both stuck together. Simon and I are working today which is a shame as we won't be home until half 8 otherwise I would have put them together a bit earlier and for a bit longer today.

Good luck Loxxy I will look forward to reading your bonding diary, and you never know I might be able to offer you some advise now that I am quite the bonding expert :lol: