• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is Binky a real word??

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
Simon's boss Chris stayed over last night and Bernard was binkying. When he asked "what is he doing?" I replied "binkying"

Chris found it hilarious and thought it was a wrod that I had just 'made up'.

I searched the dictionary to find a definition, searched my book on house buns and searched the internet. I found NOTHING!!

:shock:

Is just a term that 'rabbit people' like us use?

I think it is just a rabbit thing, and the boss probably thinks you are another crazy bunny women, welcome to the club :)

Neither can I find it in a dictionary, but Google gives 3 definitions, 1 of which is a rabbit at play. The term is generally used by many rabbit lovers.
Perhaps it's a jargon term used by lagomorphophiles. ;)

I saw it in one of my VERY old "Rabbits for Beginners" books that I was peeking through a few weeks back. Was a little taken aback to see in in text...besides the forums of course. I just figured us rabbit people all made it up!

So it's just us nutty bunny people making words up then :lol:

I was getting really frustrated when he wouldn't believe me :oops:

Thanks everyone for your replies it's interesting to know :)

Completely made up but has a certain pleasing onomatopoeia type thing going on doesn't it?
My OH always says the bunnies are jinking, which I kind of like too. :)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/binky
binky (plural binkies)

1. (informal, childish) A stuffed animal, blanket, or toy that a small child is more attached to than any other, and often sleeps with.
2. (rabbit behavior) A high hop that a rabbit may perform when happy.  [quotations ▼]
* 1996, "amy", "Re: What is a rabbitat?", in alt.pets.rabbits, Usenet:

He can have his litterbox, his carpet, his toys, and space to do a little binky in there even.

* 2003, Susan E. Davis and Margo DeMello, Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature, Lantern Books, ISBN 978-1-59056-044-0:

page 81: As he got to know Susan (and her food), he sometimes raced around on the grass when he saw her arrive, or leapt into the air, kicking his hind feet above him, then shaking his head goofily after he landed. This is the “shimmy” that Southern noticed, or the “frisk” that Lockley described. Among domestic rabbits, it’s referred to as a “bunny dance” by some and a “binky” by others. It looks sort of like an epileptic fit—but it’s an unmistakable gesture of joy.
page 94: […] a rabbit in a cage by himself doesn’t play much. He may flop on his side when he feels relaxed. He may run in circles when he’s excited—if the cage is large enough. He may even pop a binky if the cage is high enough.

* 2009, Trina Wiebe, Rabbits Don't Do Homework, Lobster Press, ISBN 978-1-897550-01-4:

page 41: “It’s called a ‘binky’,” said Crystal. “It’s a rabbit happy-dance.”
page 65: Binky did one of his famous binkies. He darted down the length of the run, then hopped and twisted […]

3. (US, informal, childish) A baby's pacifier. See Pacifier. In the U.S. (Reg. 0334946) and a number of other countries, BINKY is a brand of pacifiers, owned by Playtex Products, Inc. See [1]

Back