• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had to leave Oscar at emergency vets :( U/D looking brighter

angeleyes

Warren Veteran
His neighbours Liam and Niamh have managed to bite through 2 layers of lino and a layer of wood to get into his and Izzy's enclosure, they made a gap big enough to stick their heads through :shock:

OH went out to feed them this morning and saw what they had done when Liam put his head though and snatched their breakfast, he covered it over straight away and said all the buns seemed fine all were running around and eating, I got dressed and went out to look at them all throughly and poor Oscars nose has been half ripped off by one of them :cry::cry::cry:

I just cannot believe this, its unreal, never seen anything like it, can't believe what they have managed to get through.

I have had to leave him there to be stitched up, and I am really worried, they were not exactly rabbit savvy and they didn't want me to leave Izzy there with him, she couldn't even hold him properly, please send him some vibes if you have any spare :cry:

Oh and the estimated bill is £400 for this :shock:

Last edited:
His neighbours Liam and Niamh have managed to bite through 2 layers of lino and a layer of wood to get into his and Izzy's enclosure, they made a gap big enough to stick their heads through :shock:

OH went out to feed them this morning and saw what they had done when Liam put his head though and snatched their breakfast, he covered it over straight away and said all the buns seemed fine all were running around and eating, I got dressed and went out to look at them all throughly and poor Oscars nose has been half ripped off by one of them :cry::cry::cry:

I just cannot believe this, its unreal, never seen anything like it, can't believe what they have managed to get through.

I have had to leave him there to be stitched up, and I am really worried, they were not exactly rabbit savvy and they didn't want me to leave Izzy there with him, she couldn't even hold him properly, please send him some vibes if you have any spare :cry:

Oh and the estimated bill is £400 for this :shock:

If they are not very rabbit savvy can it wait?
I know it sounds cruel but we have had two buns that had exactly this and in both cases the decision was made to staunch the blood, give painkiller, and let it heal up naturally as stitching it was so difficult as the nose is such a strange shape.

So sorry, poor Oscar.
I had a bun whos nose was deformed, after been ripped off by his brother, he did recover well.
Fingers crossed for Oscar
xx

Same thing happened to Bungle last year. Snowdrop bit his nose off through the bars of his cage.

He cost £200 at emergency vets to has his nose rebuilt and then another £150 3 days later when he pulled all his stitches out!

Well he is home now, I couldn't leave it the way it was it would not have healed together naturally, he had to have a GA and stitches. He is feeling very sorry for himself now, he has been in his tray on a heat pad, I have just taken some veg out to him which he is nibbling on but he wouldn't eat anything at the vets!
I cannot believe the bill, I was expecting around £200 but it came to £363 in the end. They have charged for absolutely everything!
Surgical gloves £3, shaving hair on face £10, consult alone £100, hospitalisation after GA £65, baytril injection £20, vets time for op 10 mins £105 and the rest was for a list of other drugs inc the GA. I am appaulled at those costs and will be searching for somewhere else to use in an emergency!!!

Well he is home now, I couldn't leave it the way it was it would not have healed together naturally, he had to have a GA and stitches. He is feeling very sorry for himself now, he has been in his tray on a heat pad, I have just taken some veg out to him which he is nibbling on but he wouldn't eat anything at the vets!
I cannot believe the bill, I was expecting around £200 but it came to £363 in the end. They have charged for absolutely everything!
Surgical gloves £3, shaving hair on face £10, consult alone £100, hospitalisation after GA £65, baytril injection £20, vets time for op 10 mins £105 and the rest was for a list of other drugs inc the GA. I am appaulled at those costs and will be searching for somewhere else to use in an emergency!!!

Was that the place over Molesey way ?

I hope Oscar recovers well xx

Thats a ridiculous amount of money. Bungles was emergency charge as it was a Saturday evening but it was only £200. Think I was charged £90 consult, about £40 for the GA and then about £40 for the op time. The rest was meds. We weren't charged for the hospitalisation as the vet was called away to another emergency but didnt want to leave him alone so took him on hsi call out with him! By the time he had pulled out of the car park Bungle was jumping about in the carrier so he brought him home for us to look after!

Back