• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Waste

brodieleigh

Young Bun
Im not sure if this is in the correct section but i just wanted to let you know that as far as the local allotment holders are concerned you are sitting on gold.I was saying to my other half a few days ago about about the sheer amount of waste (straw hay shavings etc) that we are getting.the compost bins are full the small veg patch is covered and the local authority dont want it in the greenrefuse bins as it contains poo.
she said why dont you ring my dad and see if he wants it for the allotment. why i never thought of this i dont know.old dennis who runs the place looked at me in disgust when i said that i was throwing it away.
thay have an area where anyone can dump compostable waste throughout the year and they love the rabbit waste as it is one of the very best as regards soil improvement etc.. i think that 90% of us have an allotment near by so take it there it solves your waste problem and helps them out at the same time:wave:

Thanks for that. I have nine buns so end up having to drive to the tip frequently with my bunny waste. I have an allotment within walking distance so will go and ask if they would like the waste. Do you have to separate out the newspaper/hay/droppings?

Thanks for that. I have nine buns so end up having to drive to the tip frequently with my bunny waste. I have an allotment within walking distance so will go and ask if they would like the waste. Do you have to separate out the newspaper/hay/droppings?

i dont really know. i do know that newspaper will compost but i havent taken any over the allotments. i would ask them and if not it is still a lot less to get rid of. as a matter of interest one of the ladies called me over today and said that if i dropped the bags on her plot she would sort me out with veg etc in the spring. result :D

I wonder if it would help to keep wildies away too?
i dont know if it would or not.they have a fox over in the one corner and dont seem bothered about it as they apparently help keep the rat population down. i normally take a bag over when walking the dog who is a terrier and he goes mad to get to the fox den.

newspaper

Iwent over to the allotments this afternoon and i saw old dennis. I asked him about the newspaper and he said that it is not a problem as long as there is not too much of it and ideally it is ripped into small peices.Oh and trust me there is nothing like a cup of tea you could stand the spoon up in when you cant feel your fingers. :lol:

Back