• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bales of hay?

ChristyRose

Alpha Buck
I was just wondering what eveyone thinks about feeding their rabbits on hay from a bale.
At the moment I give them Natures Own Devon Meadow Hay but it is £4.25 for a big bag from my local agricultural merchants. A bale only costs £4 is is so much bigger. Apparently its not dust extracted whereas the stuff in bags is. Is this right? Does it matter?
Also, if I gave them a bale could I just give them the whole thing to just eat away at in their own time or will they sit on it and wee on it? Or do I need to keep it out of their reach and feed them abit at a time?

I feed by the bale and they love it, I would keep it out of reach and give a bit at a time though, because they will just pee and poop all over it:lol:

I use bales and they're great value for money, however, I wouldn't give them the whole bale, yes they'll do everything over it :lol::lol: just bag the 'slices' up and slice by slice pull it apart until you have a bin bag full then just keep topiing them up :D

I put a bale in my bun's avairy and with every fresh bale they'd dig a tunnel through it until they hit the twine and I'd have to bag it up and give to them daily. They never once wee'd or poo'd on it... until I got Benji :roll: Peeing machine!!

Mine have hay from a bale. I bought a hay bag from the local 'horse shop' , it's great for transporting and storing hay and has a drawsting top on it. I wouldn't give the bunnies a whole bale at once.:wave:

Back