• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Laural

brodieleigh

Young Bun
Having searched the site and the net i cant seem to find anything on laural. I know it is dangerous to humans but i dont know how it would affect my little girls new rabbit. The problem we have is that my entire garden is surrounded by the damn stuff. Does anyone know about this ?

this website says its poisonous to rabbits

http://www.petwebsite.com/rabbits/rabbit_plants_flowers.htm
also see VickyP's post (post no 6) which includes LAUREL in list of poisonous plants
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=223681&highlight=poisonous+plants

though I have no personal experience of this plant -
maybe others can advise?

we have fir tress which aren't suitable for rabbits so we cut the branches off the lower parts to a height that bunnies can't reach-maybe you could do the same for your laurels if its impractical to dig them out?

For smaller bushes that are unsuitable for rabbits I surround the bush with mesh.

Other than that perhaps build a large run area for the bunny?
sue:wave:

Laurel is a poisonous plant as far as buns are concerned BUT I would be very surprised if your bun touched the leaves. As an evergreen they rarely fall off, and when they do they taste so bitter I think I would be surprised if a bun ate one. We have (well had, we cut it down this Autumn finally as it was very old and woody) a laurel in the borders of our garden and the buns NEVER touched any of the leaves that had fallen to the grass. Of course you mustn't rely on bun knowing what is good for them and what is toxic, so must be very vigilant, but ours have gone for several things they shouldn't, but laurel was never one of them. :):wave:

However, false laurel (I don't know it's real latin name) is quite different, the buns LOVE the leaves (we had one of these too) but it is not toxic as is a completely different species and unrelated. That's not to say we didn't pick up any fallen leaves we saw before letting the buns out to play, but if they did eat the odd one it wouldn't cause any harm.

Poisoning in rabbits is actually very rare. Small amounts ingested can be diluted by bun eating other food stuffs alongside so unless they ate a substantial amount of any poisonous plants (except for the most poisonous such as yew, deadly nightshade, foxglove etc) it is unlikely to cause too much harm. That said, removing or fencing off any toxic plants from the garden is always the safest course of action. :)

laural

thankyou for your replies.i think that a larger run is the answer. she already has a run but i would have liked to have given her the run of the garden but removing or fencing off the laural is out of the question due to the sheer area involved.i have 3 weeks off as of friday so guess what im doing over xmas. once again thankyou for your comments.:wave:

Back