PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit advice please

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 01:36 PM
I have a almost 2 year old rabbit named Ellie who is spayed i am looking for a husbun for her the only rabbit i have found is a neutered male rabbit that is almost 5 years old, Now i can either adopt the almost 5 year old or get a 12 week old which i would have to neuter and vaccinated myself, what do you all think? I dont want this to sound grim but wont the 5 year old die alot sooner than the 2 year old and ill be left in the same position one single rabbit?

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
have a look round the rescues...there are lots of bunnies all different ages, breeds and sexes
imm sure you could find one that is close in age to your current rabbit.
alot of rabbits get put in rescues when they are about 1 yr old as their owners got bored of them. :(

Kipper
11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Maybe you could try thinking of it as either a 2 year or a 3 year difference then its not as much. You could get a younger bun but age isnt necessarily an indication of how long anyone or anything will live. Id consider what chance either bunny has of finding a new home & take the one with less chance, but then thats only my opinion. How about letting your current bun choose

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
thats so true...the younger bunnie is more likely to get a home than the older one.

molly35
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I dont want this to sound grim but wont the 5 year old die alot sooner than the 2 year old and ill be left in the same position one single rabbit?

Not necessarily, my gorgeous Molly had to be PTS at 3 1/2, and we have recently rehomed a 5 year old who is still going strong

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Maybe you could try thinking of it as either a 2 year or a 3 year difference then its not as much. You could get a younger bun but age isnt necessarily an indication of how long anyone or anything will live. Id consider what chance either bunny has of finding a new home & take the one with less chance, but then thats only my opinion. How about letting your current bun choose

2 or 3 years isnt much of a difference but its still quite a difference compared to two the same age,really unsure of what to do

molly35
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
I am fostering a beautiful 1 year old male, neutered, vacc'd.

Justine
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
Where abouts are you? There are quite a few rescues dotted around. They would be more likely to be neutered and vaccinated for you.

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
thats so true...the younger bunnie is more likely to get a home than the older one.

ye thats true

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Where abouts are you? There are quite a few rescues dotted around. They would be more likely to be neutered and vaccinated for you.

Im in plymouth

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 01:47 PM
the 5 year old could still have years left in it.
and at least you will give it a great life till the end.
and im sure age doesnt matter to bunnies
most females like the older men :)

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 01:47 PM
would you all get the younger rabbit or the older one? I would like to get the older one as hes already vaccinated and neutered but i dont want to end up with a single rabbit!

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 01:49 PM
to be honest i would prob get both lol .
but i have alot of space.
and i get guilty easily.. i will feel bad on the rabbit i didnt pick lol.
but if i had to pick one it wld be the older one

Justine
11-12-2010, 01:51 PM
I would get the older one. If you got a baby, you would have to keep them seperate until neutering anyway.

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
to be honest i would prob get both lol .
but i have alot of space.
and i get guilty easily.. i will feel bad on the rabbit i didnt pick lol.
but if i had to pick one it wld be the older one

Same i get guilty easily but theres no way i can have both

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 01:56 PM
if i look at it this way....if you go on gumtree and places that sell rabbits...the baby rabbits get taken super quick. but the older rabbits hang around for ages. and its those rabbits that end up in the rescue becoz knowone wants them which is really sad.
i also think your rabbit would be more likely to bond with the older rabbit as rabbits under like 2 years old are really hyper and she might get annoyed.

molly35
11-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I have made the mistake of going for the rabbit I wanted instead of the rabbit my rabbit wanted to be with. My personal choice from now on is to let the rabbit choose.

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 02:01 PM
i think the rabbit would prefer the older rabbit though.
thats just what i think though, i have never put a younger rabbit with an older rabbit.

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Really hard decision, I really dont know what to do:(

kk_kayla
11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
why not ask the resuce your getting it from what they think would be best.
they prob know alot more and can advise you better.

BunnyMummyToEllie
11-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I have they said it was my decision :(
If only i could have both :? 100% cant though, need to choose one

shay
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Pebbles is 9 months old and I really wanted another rabbit around her age, for obvious reasons.

However, I went to view Barnaby at a rescue and couldn't leave him there (although obviously I had too!) He's around 3 years old, so much older than Pebbles, but he has been neutered and myxi vaccinated.

To me it was a no-brainer. I could easily have selected a baby bun from a pet shop or I could have waited until February when the rescue would have had babies ready.

But Barnaby tugged at my heart-strings. He'd been in the rescue for 8 months and is an unpopular colour (agouti / wild rabbit). I knew he'd stay there if I didn't offer him a home. So although he wasn't the age I was after, I gave him a forever home.

No-one knows what the future holds, he may outlive Pebbles, you cannot predict these things.

If you really can't choose, flip a coin. If you're disappointed with the result or go for 'best out of 3', there's your answer.

Good luck :wave:

BunnyMummyToEllie
12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I still cant decide? Someone help me decide:cry:

Sayrah82
12-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I'd definitely get the older one.

If you go for the baby, you'll have two singles until its old enough to be neutered and they can be bonded, which seems a bit silly. :)

BunnyMummyToEllie
12-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I'd definitely get the older one.

If you go for the baby, you'll have two singles until its old enough to be neutered and they can be bonded, which seems a bit silly. :)

True i still dont know though:roll:
its frustrating:shock:if i dont hurry up neither will be there

sdf76
12-12-2010, 02:24 AM
I would take the older bun as he's less likely to be rehomed than the younger one.
sue:wave:

molly35
12-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I would take your bunny to the rescue and let them pick their partner

BunnyMummyToEllie
12-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Still cant decide :shock:

dizzyg
13-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I would take your bunny to the rescue and let them pick their partner

^^^

This.

Let your bun decide for you!

:love:

chul
13-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I'd go for the older one

BunnyMummyToEllie
13-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Majority of you have said the older one.. which i agree with as he will be neuterd but then :?

i am USELESS at decisions

Aurora
13-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I'd say older, the older bun may well live longer than your current bun or vice versa, you never can tell.

Grin
13-12-2010, 02:02 PM
^^^

This.

Let your bun decide for you!

:love:

^^^^ I'd say this too. :wave:

blue_vix
13-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Have they done any bunny dating with your bun to assess how well either of the pairings will work? Have you tried any other rescues? there are plenty on here and I'm pretty sure there is no shortage of neutered boys. Have a look on rabbit rehome, rescues like hunnybunnys rehome nationally.

The disadvantage I would say to a baby bunny is that you dont know what their personality will be like once theyre sexually mature and there is every possibility that the babby will start humping the female and there be fights break out BEFORE he is old enough/ big enough for an anastetic and then you will have to seperate them and rebond later if that happens. Also, with an older bun not only do you pretty much know their personallity but also any health problems are likely to have already shown up by then. Getting a baby doesn't garrentee long happy healthy lives.

blue_vix
13-12-2010, 02:07 PM
example

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=255813

BunnyMummyToEllie
14-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Have they done any bunny dating with your bun to assess how well either of the pairings will work? Have you tried any other rescues? there are plenty on here and I'm pretty sure there is no shortage of neutered boys. Have a look on rabbit rehome, rescues like hunnybunnys rehome nationally.

The disadvantage I would say to a baby bunny is that you dont know what their personality will be like once theyre sexually mature and there is every possibility that the babby will start humping the female and there be fights break out BEFORE he is old enough/ big enough for an anastetic and then you will have to seperate them and rebond later if that happens. Also, with an older bun not only do you pretty much know their personallity but also any health problems are likely to have already shown up by then. Getting a baby doesn't garrentee long happy healthy lives.

No bunny dating has been done Well i still havent decided its really hard :? id have both if i could:love:

BunnyMummyToEllie
15-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Hmm i wonder how hard it would be to bond a female with two males? :?

jenjen01
15-12-2010, 04:34 PM
let your bun decide x