• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit advice please

I have a almost 2 year old rabbit named Ellie who is spayed i am looking for a husbun for her the only rabbit i have found is a neutered male rabbit that is almost 5 years old, Now i can either adopt the almost 5 year old or get a 12 week old which i would have to neuter and vaccinated myself, what do you all think? I dont want this to sound grim but wont the 5 year old die alot sooner than the 2 year old and ill be left in the same position one single rabbit?

have a look round the rescues...there are lots of bunnies all different ages, breeds and sexes
imm sure you could find one that is close in age to your current rabbit.
alot of rabbits get put in rescues when they are about 1 yr old as their owners got bored of them. :(

Maybe you could try thinking of it as either a 2 year or a 3 year difference then its not as much. You could get a younger bun but age isnt necessarily an indication of how long anyone or anything will live. Id consider what chance either bunny has of finding a new home & take the one with less chance, but then thats only my opinion. How about letting your current bun choose

I dont want this to sound grim but wont the 5 year old die alot sooner than the 2 year old and ill be left in the same position one single rabbit?

Not necessarily, my gorgeous Molly had to be PTS at 3 1/2, and we have recently rehomed a 5 year old who is still going strong

Maybe you could try thinking of it as either a 2 year or a 3 year difference then its not as much. You could get a younger bun but age isnt necessarily an indication of how long anyone or anything will live. Id consider what chance either bunny has of finding a new home & take the one with less chance, but then thats only my opinion. How about letting your current bun choose

2 or 3 years isnt much of a difference but its still quite a difference compared to two the same age,really unsure of what to do

Where abouts are you? There are quite a few rescues dotted around. They would be more likely to be neutered and vaccinated for you.

the 5 year old could still have years left in it.
and at least you will give it a great life till the end.
and im sure age doesnt matter to bunnies
most females like the older men :)

would you all get the younger rabbit or the older one? I would like to get the older one as hes already vaccinated and neutered but i dont want to end up with a single rabbit!

to be honest i would prob get both lol .
but i have alot of space.
and i get guilty easily.. i will feel bad on the rabbit i didnt pick lol.
but if i had to pick one it wld be the older one

if i look at it this way....if you go on gumtree and places that sell rabbits...the baby rabbits get taken super quick. but the older rabbits hang around for ages. and its those rabbits that end up in the rescue becoz knowone wants them which is really sad.
i also think your rabbit would be more likely to bond with the older rabbit as rabbits under like 2 years old are really hyper and she might get annoyed.

I have made the mistake of going for the rabbit I wanted instead of the rabbit my rabbit wanted to be with. My personal choice from now on is to let the rabbit choose.

i think the rabbit would prefer the older rabbit though.
thats just what i think though, i have never put a younger rabbit with an older rabbit.

why not ask the resuce your getting it from what they think would be best.
they prob know alot more and can advise you better.

Back