• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chewed fairy lights!!

charl86

Alpha Buck
My new rabbit was having her free range time in the living room and she has managed to get underneath the christmas tree and chew the wire of my lights before I could get her out. Obviously they were off just incase this happened so no harm was done to her, but it's left me feeling really disheartened. Last year was out first christmas with our other rabbit Sooty so we spent ages bunnyproofing our decorations, bought edging to go round the tree etc and we never had any problems at all, however with the same precautions the new rabbit has managed to destroy a £20 set of lights with an hour of first seeing the tree (she had to pick the most expensive wire to chew). She really is a handful, the tree hasn't even been up 24hrs and everything is going to be taken down again to replace the lights with ones i'm going to have to go out to buy today. Anyway not much point to this thread I just dont know what i'm gunna do with her, if she's bonded with Sooty she'll be a free range house rabbit, but at the minute I cant leave her unsupervised for a second without her doing something she shouldn't.

I guess you just have to improve your bunny proofing...
Or get them a pen to use for when they cant be supervised.

Sorry to hear she has chewed your lights, but im glad they were off and she wasnt hurt.

George was also a chewer... so glad he is bonded outside with the others now :lol: He went from wires to wallpaper and anything else he could touch with his teeth :lol: My mum and i had to hide the damage from my dad until he was safely bonded outside :oops: Otherwise my dad would have got rid of him :roll:

How old is she? pearl was really a handful tbh but now she is getting a few months older and has been spayed she is settling down a bit.She is still a little madam but not quite as bad! i know what you mean though - sometimes it gets me down when everything seems to be getting destroyed :roll:

My others were chewers but never touched the tree or lights for some reason they just liked to look at it!
However they are outside now and this is pearls first christmas and she loves wires.Our tree has the lights already on so if that wire goes we've had it!
I am gonna put some cable protector around the wire across the floor (how attractive!)
Wish me luck,it's going up today!

Good Luck! Ive used the cable protectors and put somthing like this around the bottom to stop them actually getting underneath the tree which worked well for Sooty, just not my new girl!
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9374717&fh_reftheme=promo_161448252%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372012%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372019%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372069%7d&fh_view_size=10&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=prdAveRating&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372012%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372019%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372069%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9572019%7d&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=lister&ts=1292071183195&isSearch=false
I was thinking of painting it to go with the tree but it actually loooks really nice!

With reguard to making a pen for when I'm not there to supervise thats what I'm doing for my new girl at the min, but if she's bonded with Sooty then he is used to having the run of the house so I dont think it's fair on him to start keeping him in a pen, I suppose I'm really gunna have to get better at bunny proofing! I just hope she settles down a bit as she gets more comfortable in her surroundings, or as she gets older (she's only about 6 months) at the min she's like a naughty toddler, hyperactive and into anything!

I've gone a different way than planned - the wire for the tree is half way up the wall and then hidden by the sofa where it is blutacked on lol! lets see how long it takes for her to suss this one out!

Could you keep bunny out of the room where the tree is? Louie is only allowed in the loung if there is someone in there to watch him constantly, too many wires that can't be protected.

Alternatively. block off the whole of the tree area though it may not look very nice!

I've gone a different way than planned - the wire for the tree is half way up the wall and then hidden by the sofa where it is blutacked on lol! lets see how long it takes for her to suss this one out!

:lol: sounds like a good idea, hope it works!

Could you keep bunny out of the room where the tree is? Louie is only allowed in the loung if there is someone in there to watch him constantly, too many wires that can't be protected.

Alternatively. block off the whole of the tree area though it may not look very nice!

I was in the room when she did it I just couldn't get to her to drag her away quick enough (she's much faster than me :lol:) At the min as she's not bonded with Sooty so she gets a couple of hr's free range in the livingroom while Sooty is shut out of there, there's no other large rooms when she can get a good run to excersize. I suppose I can block off the tree with a run for the hour or so that she's in there everyday, but it's once she's bonded with Sooty that I worry about, as at the minute she has to go in a pen where she cant cause trouble unless I have the time to constantly chase her round keeping her away from wallpaper/wires/anything she can try to climb on and break her neck....

Back