• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grrrrr, rubbish hutch!!

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
I bought Rose Cottage for my 2 little lionheads from Pets at home. They've been in it since monday and it's all chewed away inside!! I mean completely, all the edges inside have gone!!

I'm really disappointed, I thought it would be better quality then that!!!

I've just sent a letter of complaint to them today cos you would think a rabbit hutch would be better quality wood and be able to withstand bunny chewing for longer than 5 days!!! They'll be nothing left of it by next week at this rate!!

Anyone else have this hutch???

No, I dont have this hutch. Pets at home arent the best for quality, you kind of get what you pay for really.

How about providing some toys and knaws for distraction? This might prevent them chewing the hutch..... sadly, some buns are just hutch chewers.....

Branches from Apple trees, willow/hazel sticks, wooden chews, sisal toys, cardboard boxes.......toilet roll tubes are all types of things you can give them as a distraction.

My fave is those small cereal boxes.... once they have been used, stuff with hay and a few treats and close.... they throw it around for ages :D

Good luck! :wave:

They've got a couple of small toys, but I think they do probably need more distractions.

I can't get them to go downstairs either, I've tried food trails but they don't seem interested in following it.

No, I dont have this hutch. Pets at home arent the best for quality, you kind of get what you pay for really.

How about providing some toys and knaws for distraction? This might prevent them chewing the hutch..... sadly, some buns are just hutch chewers.....

Branches from Apple trees, willow/hazel sticks, wooden chews, sisal toys, cardboard boxes.......toilet roll tubes are all types of things you can give them as a distraction.

My fave is those small cereal boxes.... once they have been used, stuff with hay and a few treats and close.... they throw it around for ages :D

Good luck! :wave:

pm'd u :wave:

Yep, got this hutch and have had to cover the wire panels upstairs with additional wire as Pebbles chewed away the wood and I was worried the screws would injure her.

She's just a chewer, as are yours. Not much you can do really and doesn't matter what hutch or wood you use, they'll have a good old nibble :lol:

I was really annoyed at first, but then again, think positive as it'll help keep their teeth down, so it's either purchase a new hutch every few years, or pay the dental bills :roll:

If it's any consolation, she's had a go at the support beam for her roof :shock:, the fence panel (after she'd managed to get on top of the hutch) and the shed.

I've also got a second-hand hutch (from p@h) that I used when Barnaby first came home and that's in an even worse state. There isn't a part of it that hasn't been nibbled. Part of the problem is that it's soft wood so easily destroyed.

To encourage them downstairs, try padding the ramp with a layer of hay. Pebbles shoves half of her hay from upstairs down onto the ramp and then just jumps over it :lol:

I have a 6ft hutch and run from the rabbit hutch shop. It is brilliant and theyve been in it for about 3 weeks and only chewed a very small amount of the timber holding the bedroom wall in. Its brilliant and is waterproof.

it was a year old when i got it 3 weeks ago :wave: only cost me £50

Yep, got this hutch and have had to cover the wire panels upstairs with additional wire as Pebbles chewed away the wood and I was worried the screws would injure her.

She's just a chewer, as are yours. Not much you can do really and doesn't matter what hutch or wood you use, they'll have a good old nibble :lol:

I was really annoyed at first, but then again, think positive as it'll help keep their teeth down, so it's either purchase a new hutch every few years, or pay the dental bills :roll:

If it's any consolation, she's had a go at the support beam for her roof :shock:, the fence panel (after she'd managed to get on top of the hutch) and the shed.

I've also got a second-hand hutch (from p@h) that I used when Barnaby first came home and that's in an even worse state. There isn't a part of it that hasn't been nibbled. Part of the problem is that it's soft wood so easily destroyed.

To encourage them downstairs, try padding the ramp with a layer of hay. Pebbles shoves half of her hay from upstairs down onto the ramp and then just jumps over it :lol:

LOL!!
Yes they are definately chewers!!
I've just given them some toilet rolls with hay stuffed inside and it seems to be keeping them busy for now :D:D:D:D

is that the 5ft double one? My ramp has been nibbled but the rest is fine :wave:

Id also put them in the bottom level, my two got the hang of going up and then realised they could go down to :lol:

Yes, the 5ft one and the 'orangery' coloured one.

The ramp on the second-hand one has been practically halved in size from chewing. It makes me wonder just how bored the previous rabbit must have been. Either that or scared as the outside of the hutch on the upper part is also 'chewed'. Took me a while to realise, it wasn't the rabbit that did that, but the owners dog scrabbling away :shock:

Yes, the 5ft one and the 'orangery' coloured one.

The ramp on the second-hand one has been practically halved in size from chewing. It makes me wonder just how bored the previous rabbit must have been. Either that or scared as the outside of the hutch on the upper part is also 'chewed'. Took me a while to realise, it wasn't the rabbit that did that, but the owners dog scrabbling away :shock:

oh no mines the brown one sorry :wave: ooer :shock:

PAH hutches tend to be very poor both in design and quality. My first hutch came from there and while it did last longer than yours, after a year it did need replacing.

I bought a locally made one after that which 5 years later is still in very good condition.

If its any consolation, my all-singing-all-dancing meeeeega expensive hutch has a huge leak from the aftermath of the snow. My pets @ home one is sat there perfect :roll: Seriously though, defo complain, Thats dreadful XX

Back