• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Muesli - Urine Problems and Other Things....U/D post 42

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Poor little Muesli. Muesli has not really got the hang of using his litter tray since he came to live with us, and has been urinating on the carpet and sofa (and even on our bed, even though he was only on it for seconds!). He does use the litter tray too and we give him a little treat when we catch him doing it so he associates going there with good things.

We've been scratching our heads and put the loss of litter tray habits down to his new environment, marking his territory and being excited about things. But we noticed he was drinking loads and loads too - we put that down to him being indoors and us having the heating on with the cold weather, even though in their room the radiator is turned right down. But last night he drank a whole bowl of water within about 10 minutes :(

I'd noticed he had a funny strong smell but couldnt work out what it was. Well, last night we did bum checks, and noticed he was completely soiled in urine on his underside and he seems to have a small bit of urine scalding too. He definitely didnt have this when he came here as we've had lovely cuddles with him so it can only have come on this last week.

We've been to the vets, the vet seemed worried there may be kidney problems. She couldnt feel any stones or sludge. She was also concerned that he felt 'thin' - but he is not underweight, he just has loose skin.

As our usual vet wasnt there she has advised us to treat for E.C. with a 28-day course of Lapizole, we have enough to treat Starbuck too. We did ask if we should treat the outdoor rabbits - but we are taking Kenco back next week for EC blood tests so if will discuss with R, our usual vet then. We also have antibiotics for Muesli in case of UTI.

He also has a little crusty sore eye on the RH side, she looked as his teeth and said that he may have some spurs just starting to form, but doesnt think there is enough to take anything off yet... we will discuss this with R but in the meantime he may need a tear duct flush.

Please if you have any advice about E.C. please let me know, also about the potential kidney problems he may have, also the best way to keep him clean. :( And any spare vibes that it is something treatable and not kidney damage. :(

Thank you.

Last edited:
Given that his wee is very smelly I'd put money on it being a UTI rather than EC.

If it is you should see a marked improvement after about 48-72 hours on abx.

Sorry to be a pain but I just have a couple of questions.

Do we need to do a certain cleaning regime on days 7 and 21 or whatever it is as vet suspects EC? Please can someone tell me what that is?

Also would it be a good idea to give Muesli any probiotics while he is having the antibiotics or is that unnecessary?

Thank you.

As from my post, he does sound like Dolly, she was always in the tray, wet, smelly, as you know vet said Cystitis, gave antibiotics and said if it didn't do the trick urine sample and xrays should be done, however, 2 days since meds commenced and she's not wet today. So hopefully Muesli will respond to the meds, I've also been looking at foods high in calcium which I can avoid.

I don't know whether the pro biotic is needed but as Dolly is also 'thin' the label says it can help buns with poor health or recovering from illness so I'm trying it...started giving it yesterday in water.

As for cleaning, I rubbed her down with an antibacterial wash and blow dried her on a cool setting as she's an outdoor bun, didn't want her to get sore/cold with the bad weather and changed the litter daily.

Thank you Lildebs. Was Dolly always going in her tray? Because Muesli has been going anywhere - the vet thinks because he doesnt have time to hop in the litter tray as his bladder is so full, so it just all comes out where he is.

Thanks for the advice about cleaning. The vet has clipped back a lot of his fur tonight around that area and has cleaned him. We will probably have to go out tomorrow and buy him some antibacterial wash too so we can keep him clean.

Thanks also for info about probiotic, may see if we can get some of that for him too. :wave:

Muesli has had some excess cecals this morning, could the antibiotics have upset things already? He's only had 0.5ml last night, and was already having excess cecals by the time we gave him his second dose this morning.

Will probiotics help this? Anything else?

Sorry to hear Muesli is poorly. I don't have any experience, but sending vibes that the treatment will sort things out for him. :wave:

Thank you Lildebs. Was Dolly always going in her tray? Because Muesli has been going anywhere - the vet thinks because he doesnt have time to hop in the litter tray as his bladder is so full, so it just all comes out where he is.

Thanks for the advice about cleaning. The vet has clipped back a lot of his fur tonight around that area and has cleaned him. We will probably have to go out tomorrow and buy him some antibacterial wash too so we can keep him clean.

Thanks also for info about probiotic, may see if we can get some of that for him too. :wave:

She's always gone in her tray, there may be at odd times a wee, but who from is another matter as she's with two others who also always wee in their tray, could have been Dolly.

I have a giant 1lt water bottle and the water is going down well (with the vits in), checked her again when I gave her meds and another dry day so far :D, I haven't noticed any excess specials though whilst on meds. Have you increased pellets or veggies?

I heard you could apply sudocreme on the skin area where the fur has been cut down to help prevent soreness from being wet, kind of a barrier.

Hope the meds kick in soon.

Hi sorry Muesli is poorly :(
I cant comment on the daignosis. Just wanted to say that when my Mimi was on abx she also had a few excess caecotrophs. It makes them taste funny to the bun so they're less inclined to eat them. Abx also can mess up the intestinal flora so Id definatly advise using a probiotic whilst Mueslis in them.
Also when Mimi was ill she had mobility problems so would offen sit in her own urine :( I used to gentky wash her underside with a flannel and warm water twice a day, dry well and apply a thin layer of sudocrem to any exposed areas of skin or anywhere it looked as though was getting sore.
Vibes for Muesli xxxxxx

Thank you Lildebs and Gemmapookie.

We will get a probiotic/vitamin to add to their water - we havent changed the amount of veggies or pellets so can only think it is the antibiotics that is causing the cecals.

We will get some sudocrem as well to protect him against getting sore.

Thanks.

Just looking to see if there is any more news on Muesli. Hope the cream helps. How is Starbuck reacting to Muesli being poorly?

Just looking to see if there is any more news on Muesli. Hope the cream helps. How is Starbuck reacting to Muesli being poorly?

Thank you Susie :) Starbuck is being totally fine with Muesli being poorly, maybe its because he is deaf and has dental issues so he knows what it is like to be poorly. I havent really seen Starbuck grooming Muesli, but he loves the grooming he gets from Muesli and I think he is just loving having company of his own kind at last. Bless them, they are so cute together.

:wave:

Only just come on and seen this. Sorry to read about Muesli being a bit poorly :cry: I haven't had time to read your thread properly or all the answers but hope Muesli feels better soon and let me know if there is anything I can help with. :wave: x

Is sudocreme safe to use on bunnies butts? My little girl "Cleo" is a "Gutty" bunny at times and has been at the vet a few times with urine infections.. stasis etc sigh ! She is three and a half and has been at the vet at least six times costing me nearly £400 all in.Big old boy "Rio" is nearly seven and has been at the vet once, nearly five years ago with stasis. Give me a man anytime...:roll:

:wave:

Only just come on and seen this. Sorry to read about Muesli being a bit poorly :cry: I haven't had time to read your thread properly or all the answers but hope Muesli feels better soon and let me know if there is anything I can help with. :wave: x

Thank you Vicky. He seems to be doing a lot better today. There has only been one accident in the last 24 hours.

There have also been no more excess cecotrophs, but there are giant poos that are squidgy in texture so we have added some probiotic to their water today. Fingers crossed that this all clears up. He will be going back to the vet this week to see our usual bunny vet.

Is sudocreme safe to use on bunnies butts? My little girl "Cleo" is a "Gutty" bunny at times and has been at the vet a few times with urine infections.. stasis etc sigh ! She is three and a half and has been at the vet at least six times costing me nearly £400 all in.Big old boy "Rio" is nearly seven and has been at the vet once, nearly five years ago with stasis. Give me a man anytime...:roll:

Sorry to hear Cleo has had a few problems :( May be worth starting a thread in the health section as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who may be able to give advice on her symptoms. :wave: Is your vet a rabbit-savvy vet? May be worth getting her insured, if she may need ongoing treatment or investigations? Its best to insure them before they reach 5 years old as most insurance companies wont insure them after that.

I cant tell you definitively if Sudocrem is safe for bunnies but I have seen it mentioned on here a lot and people on here are very knowledgeable so I trust the advice but if you arent sure ask your vet when you next go :)

Back