• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it cruel...?

Pie

Warren Veteran
Is it cruel to get a rabbit om a rescue that is over 2 hours drive away?
When I get back to the UK I will be looking for a husbun for Pie and found some really nice ones but its over 2 hours away. I told this to a couple of friends and they thought it was abit cruel to put the bun through the stress of moving? :(

I can see where they are coming from, what do you guys think? Also would it be better to bond them there at the rescue and then take both back in the car (Pie is fine in a car, doesnt stress at all) or pick up the new bun and drive home with him and then bond at home?

I dont think so, I travelled with Mittens for 3 hours when I re-homed her and she was fine... I guess it depends how the bun copes with travelling.

I think if I had the option I would bond at the rescue then bring them home together so they can snuggle up together in the car. It would probably help the bond too for when they get home - you could put the carrier they have been in in their new space.

Oscar came from Fafluffs in West Midlands, I'm in northwest, I went to meet him on his bunny run in yorkshire then got stuck in traffic on way back for 2 hrs...didn't get home with him until nearly 3pm...he had been on his journey since early am but he is healthy this will probably vary if but is elderly or poorly....Oscar then went to Kay the day after to be bonded. :D

The nearest rescue to me is 3 and a half hours drive away and over a border. When Tilly died we needed to get a companion for Timmy and that rescue was our only option (other than a petshop.) We found Mimi there and she seemed perfect for us and for Timmy. After liaising with the rescue owner we decided to go ahead with it. Mimi coped surprisingly well with the journey, we just kept her very quiet for a few days afterwards :D
Im sure she wouldnt have it any other way now :D

I've rehomed four BARC bunnies and I live well over two hours away. The bunny run was done in stages. The buns seemed to travel well and just flopped in their carriers. I think it depends on their health and personality.

I don't think it's cruel - I certainly hope not:oops:

I've taken on one pair that was already bonded and then two singles who I later bonded myself - but not with each other.

Will you be able to leave Pie at the rescue to be bonded? If not, I think I would bring the new bun home and then bond them once the husbun has got over the journey. You can bond at your leisure then. Gemma and George took ages to bond, whereas Furby and Faye were very quick. Some buns can't be hurried - they don't want to rush into marriage!

I've rehomed four BARC bunnies and I live well over two hours away. The bunny run was done in stages. The buns seemed to travel well and just flopped in their carriers. I think it depends on their health and personality.

I don't think it's cruel - I certainly hope not:oops:

I've taken on one pair that was already bonded and then two singles who I later bonded myself - but not with each other.

Will you be able to leave Pie at the rescue to be bonded? If not, I think I would bring the new bun home and then bond them once the husbun has got over the journey. You can bond at your leisure then. Gemma and George took ages to bond, whereas Furby and Faye were very quick. Some buns can't be hurried - they don't want to rush into marriage!

Yes I would leave her if need be. She's a chilled out little thing, so long as she is getting food and hugs she's anyones best friend! :roll: :lol:

Thanks people. I have my eye on a couple of gorgeous chocolate dutch boys but whether they'll be available when I get back is another thing.

our friend had a piggie brought to him in hastings that had come from SCOTLAND?:shock: it had taken 12+ hours to get there and it was during the bad weather:roll::shock:
i think it would be fine...they soon get over the stress once they get into the pen/hutch etc plus food and hay:love:

Not at all, my nearest city is 2 and a bit hours away (by car), the nearest pet shop and rescue is there. So I had no choice when getting my bunnies. They travelled fine, even longer as we came by public transport.

So are you moving back to the UK? :)

Two of my latest arrivals came from 4 hours away and didn't even seem to notice the journey.

When I picked up Charlie for a bunrun for Kaths101 we were stuck in snow overnight together in a motorway car park!!!!! he was fine (I was a bit chilly though:lol::lol::lol:). It took about 12 hours in all!

However there will be the occassional bun that finds travel very stressful - our Parsley starts to chatter his teeth with fear (NOT pleasure) after 5 mins in the car - we had to give up taking him on holidays with us:(:(

Hmm ok thanks guys. Im thinking I'll take Pie and have her bonded at the rescue, that way at least I know it'll be done by people that know what they are doing and on neutral ground. Also because Pie is so good in a car she may help her husbun stay calm if he is of a more nervous disposition.

It is an hour and half drive to my vets, they dont enjoy it but they cope:) So a one off journey to a forever home seems ok to me:D

2 hours is absolutely fine, I bet there are folk that have travelled much further with bunnies and they'll have been OK.

Its not cruel Lola has done a 12 hour car journey twice and 6 hour train ride she was fine, best tip is to keep the carrier as dark as possible, if they cant see anything theres nothing to be frightened of:D:wave:

Def. depends on the bunnies...also sometimes the bun wont wee in its carrier ...so holding it can be a problem - just check new buns dont have this issue...cant be comfy travelling with a full bladder.
My girls seem ifne though - not stoked about it but they dont panic...then again Im driving so hard to see behind me...:oops:

i used to take bertie to see john chitty with his eye ulcer all the way to andover...like about one and a half hours animal transport away.
he coped very well..he was once a show bun.
he awlays coped with vet trips...but once he thought bif had died and he developed pasturella from the stress levels for months that a vet trip even locally is a weigh it up situation.

some buns like bertie hate to wee outside of their home so he holds on tilll he pees himself as he gets out the carrier...hes such a strange old bun cos hell pee on the floor if hes in a mood and wants to get me mad:lol:

most buns kept quiet and comfy..especilayy if they have something familair like a blanket or cuddly toy or best yet...aanother bun.

i recall donna..aka doncat a few years back doing i think it was an 8hr trip and by the time she got home the two buns had bonded together.
Have a word with her....:wave:

I think that sounds OK, might be worth stopping the car for a coffee and just let some air in, give a little stroke and a treat.:wave:

Ginger travelled for over 4.5hrs to get here :wave:

I think it depends on how the bunny travels in the first place though thats important. If a nervous traveller, then no, but if not, i can't see why not :wave:

Back