• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

NIC cube advise please

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Where do you guys with NIC cubes buy them from? Is there anywhere online? Roughly how much are they and how many do you need for a very generous enclosure? How do you put different levels in?

Am thinking about Maxs accomodation at our new place. He currently has our kitchen and free ranges for about 5 hours a day which works well, but the kitchen at our new place is too small x

Any pics really appreciated :wave:

I used about 32 for a 5 foot by 2.5 foot enclosure with top. I got mine from Ebay - if you look around some places do reduced shipping for more than one box which means you may pay more for them but less overall. I only put one shelf in and just attached two extra panels and a piece of wood underneath for support.

Piccies...

First layout!

_IGP6272_CONV-vi.jpg

_IGP6271_CONV-vi.jpg

_IGP6273_CONV-vi.jpg

Second layout!

Photo0206-vi.jpg

Photo0204-vi.jpg

Photo0225-vi.jpg

Photo0228-vi.jpg

I have a huge condo. Each level is 2.5ftx6ft. The bottom is for the buns, middle has 2 guinea pigs and top has 3 guinea pigs. It is their home base only and they are never permanently shut up in it.

To build a cage of a similar size, it is 2 grids across, and 5 grids length ways, 2 grids high. That gives 8 + 20 = 28. I have a base of grids, and a top (which acts as the base for the cage above). So add on another 10 for base, and 10 for top brings it to 48 grids.

For the level, I cable tied two grids together. The grids were then cable tied to the cage. It is suprisingly sturdy and can hold at least 4kg of bun easily. On top of the grids, I cable tied some corflute (lino would do) just so that their feet don't slip through. On top of that I attached a fleece mat with bull dog clips so they have a bit of traction.

Here are some photos;

This is the cage. The buns bit is the bottom level.
032-5.jpg

You can see the level here;
010-7.jpg

And an old photo of the actual cage;
014-2.jpg

The base is wooden, so that we could attach wheels. This makes the whole condo fairly easy to move.

Thanks guys, both set ups are fab :D Are they fairly sturdy?

Thanks so much xxx

Not as sturdy as a dog crate - you can see what I have piled on top but I would never have been able to put any more on than that - but sturdy enough for bunnies.

mybuns091-1.jpg

Not NIC cubes but something similar bought from B&Q unfortunately i cant remember what theyre called but were cheaper. My 6ft son caused the dent in the top. Ive 3 of these cages in my front room

I got Seville storage cubes from Costco - about £9 plus vat for a box of 16 panels. Exactly like the ones in the other posts. If you have one near you and think you will buy other stuff, it may be worth joining Costco. It's about £25 a year. We don't do food shopping there but reckon we save what it cost to join. This weekend we bought loads of real travertine floor tiles which were £15 a metre - other places charge about £40 a metre so we have saved the joining fee already.

The Seville cubes from a re-seller on Amazon are £22 - well overpriced - so I think the Costco ones are a very good deal. Ours are outside rabbits but I used the cubes when bonding and when it's very cold I make a big pen and bring them inside.

Back