• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Chubby bunster...

cloughie

Banned
I got this lil lady on Wednesday...as you can see for a mini lop she is huuuuge! :shock: she is about the same size of my other 2 bun who are dwarf lops and it feels like she weighs more than them.

When I got her she had a lot of hard poo matted around her bum and back paws...this all came off eventually. She has had a messy bum yesterday and today...her poops are quite dark and are moist so they're just sticking to her butt...where she is overweight I'm guessing she can't quite get around that area to clean herself properly.

She didn't have a messy bum on wednesday night...I think this is because I kept her indoors and she ate quite a bit of hay...now that she is outside she doesn't seem to be eating much hay. Any tips on how I can encourage her to eat it?

Also...the lady who did have her was feeing her a big bowl of allen and page pellets a day!!! Definitely want to cut down on this...can I just straight away just give her small amounts of pellets?

Also any tips on how to help her to loose the weight?

You need to reduce it gradually otherwise I believe you can get problems with the liver.

Hay eating is going to be a difficult one to fix straight off whilst she's on so much commercial feed but hopefully as you reduce that the hay picking should pick up.

The best thing is to encourage her to exercise as much as poss.

Gypsy came to be overweight and it took a long time to get her down to a healthy weight for spaying but it was certainly worth it as she's now happily bonded and binkies like the rest of them.

Celery is a good veg for diet buns as its low cal. Avoid root veggies and fruit as they have a lot of sugar.

Thank for the advice :wave:

Will have to get her in a nice open space on her lead....she tends to just stay in one spot in her run

Back