• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best conditions for respiratory buns? Central heating?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello:wave:

Please can you advise me? My Herman bunsters respiratory problems have flared up badly again. Please can you tell me what the best conditions for him to be living in are to aid his breathing?

He is indoors and I have the heating on for him. I keep it between two and three, so it's not baking hot, just warm.

Is it best to have the central heating on or off? Is it best to have the window in his room open or closed?

I don't know what to do for the best? With it being so cold lately I didn't know whether he'd feel better with the heating on or not. I didn't know whether central heating may make his breathing worse?

I would be very grateful for your opinions please.

Best wishes,

Nicola x x x

Hello there:wave:

Thanks so much for replying!

How do I make it humid..? Bowl of steamed water?

Window open or shut?

Soz for all the questions! :oops:

x x x

when we had pooh bear ,she had snuffles, and we would run a bath ,door shut ,with her in there.... she always came out feeling a bit better:love:

Hello there:wave:

Thanks so much for replying!

How do I make it humid..? Bowl of steamed water?

Window open or shut?

Soz for all the questions! :oops:

x x x

Window shut, but I would air it and rewarm it once a day when he's not in it.
It doesn't need to be humid all the time, you can as above take him into a steamy bathroom once or twice a day, use a bowl of water, but otherwise just keep him warm. :wave:

Hello :wave:

Thank you x x x

I only have a shower but I could put a bowl of steamed water near him?

Is it best to have the heating on do you think, during the day and night? And should I be keeping a window open for him?

x x x

Hello :wave:

Thank you x x x

I only have a shower but I could put a bowl of steamed water near him?

Is it best to have the heating on do you think, during the day and night? And should I be keeping a window open for him?

x x x

He could go in the shower room after you've had your shower for a bit? As long as it's warm in there.

Heating on during day and on low over night too definitely, try and keep it constant and warm, but not hot. No windows open whilst he is in there, the very cold air at the moment will inflamme his mucosa. But do open it once a day to air the room, then rewarm before putting him back in.

Just remember that central heating on permanently is very drying to the air so bring in humidity will be very helpful. You could always hang up a wet towel to dry naturally in the room if his room is warm it will evaporate and make the room nice and humid for a portion of the day.

i have the heating on all the time for bisc and matt to keep them warm. in the day i have it on 15-16, and through the night about 16-17.

it's a struggle knowing what to do with the heating and windows and fresh air etc isn't it.

i do open the window sometimes, but usually only if i'm cleaning and moving dust around, then close it after.

in summer the heating is off, and i actually leave the window slightly open through the night if it's really hot. they seem to flare up more when it's too hot or too cold.

:wave:

:wave: I personally would have the window open on 'night vent or espag' where it's open a crack but, locked all the time, I would have the heating on 16c max and yes a bowl of water on the windowcill or radiator, I used a shot glass on my radiator to add moisture, the heat from the rad keeps it continually moist but, very subtle.

If you can, get a 'weather station', which are about £20 online. It enables you to keep an eye on temperature and humidity all the year round and monitor when the symptoms improve. It's an eye opener how drying central heating can be.

:wave:

Thank you for all your suggestions. It is very much appreciated!

It's good to get other peoples experiences and recommendations on these things.

I will definately try the humidity thing and make sure the air isn't too dry.

Thank you lovely people x x x

Back