• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit castration...

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
I have booked my new bunny, Otis, in for a castration. He is being 'done' on Monday 13th December. :)

I have to drop him off Monday morning and then am not allowed to pick him up until the next day. However, due to work, I will be unable to pick him up until Tuesday evening. :(

Due to lack of care (and death) at my last vets, we have changed vets. I have been recommended this vet by Alice and Sal at Wind Whistle Warren - so I know it is good! :D

However, I was just wondering why he has to stay in for a full night after the op?? They said that a vet nurse goes in at night and checks on them but my baby will be alone. I thought castration was a very straighforward op. :?

I'm scared .... :oops::(

I have booked my new bunny, Otis, in for a castration. He is being 'done' on Monday 13th December. :)

I have to drop him off Monday morning and then am not allowed to pick him up until the next day. However, due to work, I will be unable to pick him up until Tuesday evening. :(

Due to lack of care (and death) at my last vets, we have changed vets. I have been recommended this vet by Alice and Sal at Wind Whistle Warren - so I know it is good! :D

However, I was just wondering why he has to stay in for a full night after the op?? They said that a vet nurse goes in at night and checks on them but my baby will be alone. I thought castration was a very straighforward op. :?

I'm scared .... :oops::(

My vets always do this as a matter of course - I don't think all do, but some seem to. I said to my vet before that I would be up several times in the night:oops: but he said that they like to keep them in and check on pooping and temperature, etc.

Ive never had to leave mine over night but I can understand why :wave:

The operation itself is very straightforward, it is the recovery as rabbits often stop eating and pooing. My vets have always sent them home because they think they'll come around better at home but often they need syringe feeding

With my first bun Kismo I was at the OP, and I could take him straight after he was fully out of his narcosis.
I brought my other bun to another vet. He had to be there in the morning and I could pick him up at the end of the day. They wanted to make sure he was fully out of his narcosis and made sure he was eating, pooping and acting normal.
But he was still a bit wibbly-wobbly.

Castration is a routine procedure, but it's always a risk to put an animal (or human for that matter) under narcosis.
I think it's a sort service your vet has, he wants to make sure your bun is allright before he wants to send him home. Because if there's any complication, he's at the right place.

But I'm sure your bun will be OK, your vet seems to know what he's doing.

Otis is home. He is still quiet but is eating, pooping and weeing. His poops are smaller than usual but the vet did say that he started eating at 4pm yesterday.

He enjoyed cuddles and nose rubs earlier. :)

I know that both of our buns were having smaller poops after their ops and the vet said that the metacam(pain meds) could impact the size/color of the poops. They quickly returned to normal after they were healed up.

I know that both of our buns were having smaller poops after their ops and the vet said that the metacam(pain meds) could impact the size/color of the poops. They quickly returned to normal after they were healed up.

Thank you! He is on pain killers - once a day! I have to remember to medicate him in the morning. ;)

Back