• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Storing bales of hay

chelle

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

As far as Im aware storing a bale of hay - lifted off the ground & covered is fine. So keeping it in a shed in the garden is ok from what Ive been advised....
There is a chance though it could get damp or cold I guess.
Also keeping it as a bale ensures it matures & last longer than if you broke the bale up - and it keeps it fresher.

Now Ive just been told by a hay suplier - an online one - that it would be best to break the bale of hay up & perhaps store it in a box & keepp it in my loft...or indoors somewhere it wont get damp or too hot.
They said it probably would get damp if left i the shed outdoors....
They also said you could then put the box into a black bag to make sure the coldness doesnt get to the cardboard box in the loft.

Would this not cause the hay to sweat?

Please advise anyone - as my 2 bales of hay are sitting in the shed and yes its cold out there & the windows have frosted up with ice etc - so can imagine it is abit damp - but again there is air ciculation....Id hate to lose my bales of hay - any advice?

I thought they would be ok...:?:oops:

Would keeping them in hessian bags be ok?
So save mess.

thanks all!:wave:

Lots of people use duvet covers. :thumb:

I'm planning on getting an extra bale and am going to store it in the garage up off the floor in a duvet cover. I usually store one at a time in a garden cushion cover box in the garage - the box is plastic but it doesn't sweat in there. I go through then about one every 6 weeks so it doesn't have time to go off really.

Lots of people use duvet covers. :thumb:

I'm planning on getting an extra bale and am going to store it in the garage up off the floor in a duvet cover. I usually store one at a time in a garden cushion cover box in the garage - the box is plastic but it doesn't sweat in there. I go through then about one every 6 weeks so it doesn't have time to go off really.

Thank youz! I thought about a duvet cover...but worried it may go mouldy...:?

The bunnies are now drawing up plans to get the bales into the loft...best go tell them it may all be A OK!:roll::lol:

I know that the hay people who told me to bring it in are right in what they saying but again most famers and everyone else stores theirs outside...:?

:D

I'd be a little worried about storing it in the loft personally. Would it attract mice and rats? :?:

when I get a bale of hay, I break it up straight away and put it in plastic bags. I know you are advised not to, but we use it up in 2-3 weeks before we get another bale and I've never had a problem with doing this. The plastic bags are left open, and they are kept in the shed.

mine are laid on tarpaulin and concrete floor in the shed. They are dry, but it is cold. They are okay though.

I wouldn't fancy going up in my loft to get hay ... there is no ladder for a start. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, our loft is probably just as cold as the shed. :?

We keep ours in the old coal shed; the bale goes inside a duvet and then raised off the floor. We've not had any problems with mould, damp or anything like that from keeping it in the cold.

Thanks guys! I think they should be fine!
They can stay in the shed - and perhaps I will get another bag for them as naughitly Ive left them in the plastic bags they came in! as Ive been abit rushed....:oops:

:wave:

I have mine stored outside in the shed too, however, I have a binbag that I fill and store in the house so the hay is nice and crisp, fill it up as it's getting low. a carrier bag will do the same :D

I wouldn't fancy going up in my loft to get hay ... there is no ladder for a start. :lol::lol::lol:

Seriously though, our loft is probably just as cold as the shed. :?

We keep ours in the old coal shed; the bale goes inside a duvet and then raised off the floor. We've not had any problems with mould, damp or anything like that from keeping it in the cold.

Our coal shed has coal in it :lol:

I have mine stored outside in the shed too, however, I have a binbag that I fill and store in the house so the hay is nice and crisp, fill it up as it's getting low. a carrier bag will do the same :D

This is what I do too. Only I use Rhinotubs. A full one lasts about 3-4 days for a pair (I have one per pair) so I usually fill them up on litter change days.

Thanks guys - i do have a mahoosive carrier bag but half the time hay drops out & Indiana is always jumping onto where ever its placed to help herself:roll::lol:
She certainly tells me when its time for a fresh handful thanks you very much!:love::lol:

I also have a black bin which I did use - but OH was getting slightly mad as each time I filled it up from the hay bale bag hay went all over the patio & blew in the wind all over the place:shock::roll:...so now the aubiose is in the black bin. I dont mind the black bin but the carrier bag can go into the bale bag whilst I fill it up - so less mess - just more mess as it falls out indoors!:roll::lol:

Have to sort the bales of hay out soon as they still in plastic bags..but as there is a bunny in the shed currently dont want to have anything he will pee on and wets all the hay...will have a little think:?:D

Back