• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We Had a Visitor in the Garden Today

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
004-42.jpg

A SW London Parakeet !! :love:

Awww we have loads of them near where I live in England - Dansen park in SE London. Arnt they gorgeous! :love::love::love:

Wow! I didn't know there were wild parakeets in London! If I saw one I'd assume it was someone's missing pet, try to catch it and call the RSPCA. How daft would I look?! :oops: How lovely to have them visit your garden :love:

Wow! I didn't know there were wild parakeets in London! If I saw one I'd assume it was someone's missing pet, try to catch it and call the RSPCA. How daft would I look?! :oops: How lovely to have them visit your garden :love:

That's what I would have thought :oops:

There are HUNDREDS of them, especially in Richmond Park and Bushy Park.

Lisa, we got rid of the snow last weekend thank goodness !!

Yeah, I would have done the same :p We could have looked daft together!

I nearly had a flock of those decapitate me in the garden here a couple of weeks ago, they're not just in London! Noisy beggers they are!

Apparently they only began breeding in the south east in the 1960s. They are found throughout the UK, but only usually seen in the south east and London, mainly because we're so densely packed down here!

Last edited:
We have one in our garden in Stockwell south east london, to be honest i thought someones pet had escaped, it sits in the cherry tree and looks in the window at us!! - I didnt know Jacks jane was based in london, Thats great to know:wave:

Lovely birds, I only found out a few weekends ago that they're wild when one perched itself on our bird table. Like others my first thought was that someone's pet must have escaped :oops:

The story goes that they started breeding and settled here by accident when a couple got free. Don't know how true that is.

I remember the first time I saw one, I came home and told Andy I had seen a parakeet. Cheeky monkey said "are you sure it wasn't a pigeon". :roll:

The story goes that they started breeding and settled here by accident when a couple got free. Don't know how true that is.

I remember the first time I saw one, I came home and told Andy I had seen a parakeet. Cheeky monkey said "are you sure it wasn't a pigeon". :roll:

:lol:

Back