• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing food .. Excel Vs SS - The result! *shock*

kaths101

Warren Veteran
Well yesterday dutiful slave went out and bought a big bag of SS (well actually 2 bags - long story)....

I hand fed them a few each earlier in the day and they took it - So last night I excitably added about 6 pellets to each 3 portions of their bowl mixed in with the excel, take it out - cue - all 4 running round like loons as usual, put it down and all 4 turned their noses up!! :shock:
Charlie wanted nothing to do with it :shock: he had a few of the excel and then went on to the hay, Oreo pretty much did the same - Sooty and Mittens persisted a bit longer but avoided the SS at all costs so I took it away in the end as I didnt want Sooty and Mittens to overfeed on Charlies and Oreos portions - epic fail!!!

soooo have I just wasted £15? or will they get used to it... its got fenugreek in I thought they would rip my hands off for it - awkward bunnies!!!! :roll::roll:
They just looked at me as if to say slave - what is this you are feeding us??

Mine had no problems with any of the changes.Mrs was reared on Russell, dutifully went over to Excel like a good girl.Then when I heard excel had meat in it, the change happened so quick it was all a blur.I panicked about Lily as shes so little and has malloclusion and the bits being big but no,snarf snarf, snarf.

It took Radish a while to start liking SS when I tried to change her over from P@H nuggets but she loves them now and would take your hand off if you had any. :lol::lol::lol:

Well yesterday dutiful slave went out and bought a big bag of SS (well actually 2 bags - long story)....

I hand fed them a few each earlier in the day and they took it - So last night I excitably added about 6 pellets to each 3 portions of their bowl mixed in with the excel, take it out - cue - all 4 running round like loons as usual, put it down and all 4 turned their noses up!! :shock:
Charlie wanted nothing to do with it :shock: he had a few of the excel and then went on to the hay, Oreo pretty much did the same - Sooty and Mittens persisted a bit longer but avoided the SS at all costs so I took it away in the end as I didnt want Sooty and Mittens to overfeed on Charlies and Oreos portions - epic fail!!!

soooo have I just wasted £15? or will they get used to it... its got fenugreek in I thought they would rip my hands off for it - awkward bunnies!!!! :roll::roll:

:lol::lol: Why didn't you buy the small bag to try them first, I'd go with what they are saying, if they want their excel let them have it.

:lol::lol: Why didn't you buy the small bag to try them first, I'd go with what they are saying, if they want their excel let them have it.

I did :lol::lol: but the day before I asked OH to get them from the garden centre on his way home from work but he forgot so I thought well I will just get them myself so i bought the small bag and then he arrived home last night all pleased with himself with the big bag :lol::lol: so now we have 2 bags and they dont like them :roll::evil:

:lol::lol:

Might just take a while. Mischa turned up SS so much. We got to the stage of him getting it in his mouth and he spat it out immediately without barely tasting it. Then suddenly he actually proper tried it and loved it and now goes barmy for it.

Milo is not a big fan of the SS stuff either so I have bought some excel pellets today although I really wanted to switch him to the SS :(

Oh dear, I'm sorry. I do understand why folk want to change their buns to SS, but Spenser is a fussy enough nommer as it is so I think I'll stick with Excel. :roll:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? Mine would bite my hands off for it!! :eek:

Mind you, perhaps its because ss has far less sugar. Keep offering it for a few days, perhaps when they actually nibble a bit they will realise its nommy. ;)

Hmmm, maybe crumble some of it on top of their normal pellets, so they don't have to eat the whole pellets but still get the taste?

It's more what they are use to than flavour I think as buns will turn their nose up going both ways. Tr offering it as a hand fed treat and see if they take it.. some buns assume anything offered by hand will be yummy. You can also try adding water to a few of each type so you can mix them together and get them to try them that way. Sometimes it seems like its just getting them to taste it that's the issue.

It's more what they are use to than flavour I think as buns will turn their nose up going both ways. Tr offering it as a hand fed treat and see if they take it.. some buns assume anything offered by hand will be yummy. You can also try adding water to a few of each type so you can mix them together and get them to try them that way. Sometimes it seems like its just getting them to taste it that's the issue.

id keep trying and try what tamsin says, no harm in not giving it ago :wave:

Might just take a while- I'd keep offering it.

When I changed Mr Fluff onto Oxbow (which I understand is an even less yummy alternative) it took a good while, but I just stuck at offering it, eventually reducing the excel a little as he was still not taking the oxbow, so that he was just getting a couple of excel pellets a day. I felt really harsh, but few weeks later he was happily eating the oxbow like he used to eat the excel.

I just had to remind myself that the most important part of his diet was his hay, which he was eating, and his veg. I was also doing it for health reasons as he had a mucky bum problem and wasn't in such good condition on the excel (even though he thought it was yummy) so I guess that pushed me to keep going.

I have big plastic, air tight boxes for all my animal's foods, i mix burgess and science selective in the relevant variations for both zeke and the piggies. they like the mixture of tastes i think? their bowls are always empty at refill time!

Back