• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*video* Rainbow being ADORABLE

Oh wow! how cute!?!

Any tips fro taming Dec? he occasionally nips but i try and let him run over me and Ad,gently stroke him etc....i'm worried about him getting away and not being able to catch him again tho!

Oh wow! how cute!?!

Any tips fro taming Dec? he occasionally nips but i try and let him run over me and Ad,gently stroke him etc....i'm worried about him getting away and not being able to catch him again tho!

Does he nip when he's in the cage or out?
In all honesty I just forced Rainbow to be tame. I HAD to handle her from day one as I rescued her and she was in with her brother, so I just basically pick her up and she has no choice in the matter. If you're a bit nervy it makes them nervy, so I find it easier to just go straight to it and pick them up confidently and then reward them with a little treat or something

Does he nip when he's in the cage or out?
In all honesty I just forced Rainbow to be tame. I HAD to handle her from day one as I rescued her and she was in with her brother, so I just basically pick her up and she has no choice in the matter. If you're a bit nervy it makes them nervy, so I find it easier to just go straight to it and pick them up confidently and then reward them with a little treat or something

He only really nips me if i put my in the cage flat for him to walk onto - he doesn't do it as much if i just pick him up.He nips Ad when he is in his hands though,which like you say is making him nervy and not want to handle him as much atm.
What can i give him treatwise?
also i've read he can have a bit of hay to nest in is that true? (it's nearly as difficult as looking after bunnies this is!)

He only really nips me if i put my in the cage flat for him to walk onto - he doesn't do it as much if i just pick him up.He nips Ad when he is in his hands though,which like you say is making him nervy and not want to handle him as much atm.
What can i give him treatwise?
also i've read he can have a bit of hay to nest in is that true? (it's nearly as difficult as looking after bunnies this is!)

He might just be testing you to check you're not food, but I find it easier to just pick them up. Once they're used to it, they dive at the side of the cage to get your attention anyway so I don't think it's a bad thing to just take control :lol:

Millet spray is the best treat I've found. Rainbow LOVES it, it's a bit messy but well worth it for how happy she gets. I have to get it for the bird anyway so I just give her bits of that, but it's not expensive.
I dunno about the hay... Some people say its good for the teeth, some people say it can damage their pouches. I've personally avoided it but the rabbit was in my room for 2 years so the hamsters have probably got hold of some and never been ill... Not much help on that one :lol:

Back