• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions about getting a 2nd Bunny! Help!

I currently have an unfixed male rabbit. I've had him since he was about a month old and hes now a few weeks away from being 2. He has never been in a cage but rather has full run of my (rabbitproofed) home, like a cat. Also like a cat he uses a litter box. Lately ive been thinking about getting another bunny for him to be buds with but I am unsure whether to get a fixed female, or a fixed male or if i shouldnt get another bunny at all because Clyde will be too territorial after having had the house to himself for 2 years. That being said I have 2 dogs he gets along with fine. I would have normally assumed a fixed girl but ive heard they tend to fight. Does anyone know the answer to my dilema? Any advice helps!

:wave: hello.
if you look on the threads you will find loads of info on bonding.
the best pairings are boy/girl, but not always.
he will need fixing even if the girl has been as otherwise it will drive him mad trying to hump all the time. :oops: having him fixed will take away the frustration and some of the territorial issues. :)
if you could get to rescue they would more than likely help you with bonding etc as it has to be in a completely neutral space.

I currently have an unfixed male rabbit. I've had him since he was about a month old and hes now a few weeks away from being 2. He has never been in a cage but rather has full run of my (rabbitproofed) home, like a cat. Also like a cat he uses a litter box. Lately ive been thinking about getting another bunny for him to be buds with but I am unsure whether to get a fixed female, or a fixed male or if i shouldnt get another bunny at all because Clyde will be too territorial after having had the house to himself for 2 years. That being said I have 2 dogs he gets along with fine. I would have normally assumed a fixed girl but ive heard they tend to fight. Does anyone know the answer to my dilema? Any advice helps!

Get your bun neutered first, will help with the territorial behaviour plus all his humping will either peeve a female off / hurt him. Once he's calmed down (usually a few months) you'll either need to sterilize an area to make it neutral or put them somewhere he's not been, I.e bath tub. That's my advice anyhoo, I know there's more experienced people on here who can advise you better

He'll definitely need fixing first other he WILL be territorial. A lot of rescues do bonding for you and Clyde can even maybe pick his own partner this way!

Back