• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cystitis Advice...

lildebs

Mama Doe
:wave:

Took Dolly to the vet just now as I've noticed under her tail was getting wet, thought initially she wasn't lifting her tail properly but then wondered about UTI, anyway vet thinks she may have cystitis, although she said it was more common in older rabbits as she's 9/10mnth old (so we think) and I have noticed she's in her tray a lot, more than the others. She said she was smelly too :(

She's been given Baytril 0.5ml x 2 daily and I have to take her back next week, if no better then they may do a urine sample and poss xrays c/o stones?
Couple of questions ...

How can I help her recovery?
Is there anything food wise I can give to help or food to avoid which may be making it worse.
How much fluid should she be having?

Thanks Deb :D

not sure if im on the right route here but here goes...

...does she have many calcium high foods, such as kale/spinach/watercress?

Just something which might be useful, when one of my buns had a UTI he was given Baytril to start off but it didn't touch it so the vet then prescribed Marbocyl and it worked a treat.

not sure if im on the right route here but here goes...

...does she have many calcium high foods, such as kale/spinach/watercress?

Very rarely she has these often as I tend to avoid them BUT she has had watercress lately, it's not usually foods I feed often infact it was a bag of watercress and spinach :?...what makes you say that Graham?

Just something which might be useful, when one of my buns had a UTI he was given Baytril to start off but it didn't touch it so the vet then prescribed Marbocyl and it worked a treat.

Interesting thanks...one o bare in mind then, thanks :wave:

Merlin had this and it is very painful for them. He stopped eating for over a week so I was syringe feeding him. Did they give any pain relief?

angel used to get it, she gets all sorts to eat foods aren't so much the problem just happens same as humans.
angel had metacam for pain as its very painful if you haven't had it yourself its burning sensation down below stinging pains in stomach and burning up. try and encourage drinking as this will dilute wee.
We love pineapple juice but not sure if this would be acidy.
my vet took wee sample straight away to ensure angel wasn't in pain and get her the right treatment as cystitis in humans if not treat spreads to kidneys and causes big problems i guess same for rabbits.
if any worse or blood in wee get her back you can take pee sample with you just pour into jam jar or something not the easiest thing to do.
if you have just one bun youll notice when you clean pooty out normally wet runny patch in bottom of potty pour that if you can otherwise trying to get sample is near on impossible

Merlin had this and it is very painful for them. He stopped eating for over a week so I was syringe feeding him. Did they give any pain relief?

No pain relief. She is eating all her food she is given, pooing and drinking, playing etc she's not hunched in a corner or anything

angel used to get it, she gets all sorts to eat foods aren't so much the problem just happens same as humans.
angel had metacam for pain as its very painful if you haven't had it yourself its burning sensation down below stinging pains in stomach and burning up. try and encourage drinking as this will dilute wee.
We love pineapple juice but not sure if this would be acidy.
my vet took wee sample straight away to ensure angel wasn't in pain and get her the right treatment as cystitis in humans if not treat spreads to kidneys and causes big problems i guess same for rabbits.
if any worse or blood in wee get her back you can take pee sample with you just pour into jam jar or something not the easiest thing to do.
if you have just one bun youll notice when you clean pooty out normally wet runny patch in bottom of potty pour that if you can otherwise trying to get sample is near on impossible

I read an article which says not to stop any veg (re calcium levels) but to stop pellets? feed hay and veggies, it's just if that's the case I'm mindful that I don't want her to lose weight, she takes the meds fine :D to try dried cranberry or cranberry tabs or a Vit C chewable tablet?

ETA She only wee's in the litter tray which is covered in wood pellets and hay and then turns to mush.

Thankyou, I'm really at a loss of what to do diet wise, searching the internet is so contradictory and confusing! :roll:

Just to let you all know (well 5 of you) :lol: Dolly has been dry all day today :D hopefully the Baytril is kicking in and I've given her/them vit drops in their water. Hoping for another good day tomorrow :D

Pleased to hear Dolly is doing well. We have a similar-ish problem with Muesli at the moment (different diagnosis at the moment though) and it is such a worry isnt it? No advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say that I am pleased she is doing better, whatever you are doing must be working! :)

Thankyou, yes it is such a worry knowing what to do best for them and I've never had a bun ill, so this is a learning curve for me, particularly giving her her medicine :lol: got the hang of it now :D

Sorry to hear Muesli is having problems too, hope things soon resolve.

Thankyou, yes it is such a worry knowing what to do best for them and I've never had a bun ill, so this is a learning curve for me, particularly giving her her medicine :lol: got the hang of it now :D

Sorry to hear Muesli is having problems too, hope things soon resolve.

Thank you. Yes I know what you mean about medicine, it is always difficult! Glad she is getting better, hope it continues :)

Back