• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded groups squabbling since a death

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Since Waffle has died, the dynamics of the other 7 have changed.

I understand they may be re-instating hierarchy and trying their luck at upping themselves in the hierarchy number, but Shadow in the past 5 days has been lunging at others, and starting squabbles with others, resulting in her being bitten, and her own fur being littered in the kennel.

Will it settle down?
She is on Baytril for one of the bites as a precaution, and I don't want to end up taking her in again. She has never done anything like this before.

She had a check up Monday as she had her VHD booster and nothing was found to be wrong with her.

She is 4.5 years old.

Thing is, she even chased and boxed a few of the group at the ark event when all 7 were in a 48 inch dog crate (to my disappointment at her!) so I don't think space is a main issue :?

It is so wierd as it is very out of sorts behaviour for her. :(

I would be really worried about leaving her with the group if there is fur all over the kennel :(

Can you start rebonding them from scratch or would it be possible to separate her and get her a partner of her own?

Thing is, when I decide to take her out, she will then go and snuggle with them and let them groom her :? . I could try re-bonding, but where my mum has circulatory problems, even if I have the radiator off in my room, she will keep the others on. Would that be a problem?

It isn't really possible financially to have another setup like they have anytime soon, as I am saving towards a 16 x 12 aviary for their kennel :(

If it were me I wouldn;t want to risk leaving her over night with them with fur being pulled out and biting. Goodness only knows what you could wake up to :(

One cold room in the house would be OK for her :)

I'll get mum to keep a close eye on them today and through the night, as I am back first thing in the morning so can bring them all indoors. (mum can't catch them in the kennel very easily!)

Could it be to do with Waffle, or something more sinister?

Back