• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Weights?

Livi

Alpha Buck
My pair were born approx March 2010, so a good 7/8 months now and dont seem to be growing much more....

Pip is a Dwarf Lop and weighs 1.91kg and Rusty is a Dutch and weighs 1.98kg.

Pip looks massive compared to Rusty to the eye....The problem is when I looked up their breeds I am pretty sure they should weigh more?!

They eat loads, have an egg cup full of pellets a day and lots of veg, get through loads of Hay too & the vet was happy with them on Monday when they had their Myxi booster...

Do these weights sound ok? Bit worried?!

Last edited:
Weights sound absolutely fine for their breed. Much better to have a slim rabbit than a tubby one, it is far better for their general health.

Many of these suggested breed weights are based on pure breds who are fed a diet high in commercial feed (and tend IMO to be a little on the fat side anyway)

My dutch weighs 1.7kg but he is very small, and our dwarf lop weighs around 2.3kg BUT yours are not yet fully grown - they will bulk up as they reach 1yr of age, but ideally you want them to bulk up with muscle not fat - so plenty of exercise. Their diet is fine. :D

Thanks a lot :) Was a bit worried, but feel better now! I am hoping to bunny proof the top section of the garden when the weather gets better, and it is about 20x20 foot which they will be allowed to free range in – so should manage to get plenty of muscles from charging round there :D

Back