• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit and deer welfare in Clissold park

karen1980

Mama Doe
I recieved this from a contact last night

This is about the state of a herd of fallow deer in the Clissold Park
(Hackney) animal enclosure. On top of chronic neglect, they have been left
in their pen while 10 months of building works, which began in February, surround it. The pen has been reduced by over a half, from 0.6 to 0.2 -0.3
ha. Cover has been torn away. The deer were left with just unscreened insecure fence panels between them and the works.There are large plastic
bags containing rubble strewn around the enclosure. The refurbishments are part of a Heritage Lottery £8.9m renovation. The "new" pen will be
barely larger, with new "Regency" fencing you can climb over, even less cover and a new footpath cut through the pen.

The temporary perimeter is insecure and the pen is plagued by vandals. A deer was fatally injured following a "break-in" in August. A couple of
weeks later a dog got in and bit a deer on the mouth. On 1st October intruders set fire to the brand new aviary next to the deer pen and
released 3 deer. I have seen kids climb the fencing in less than 10 secs. I told the park and police but the fencing wasn't changed.

The neglect is long-term. They no longer have the tick-off feeding etc rota that used to be on the noticeboard. A top deer vet who treated the
herd 3 years ago (vasectomising the Master Buck) has publicly stated that the pen's unsuitable for deer. He should have been called back by the park
to rehome two young males but they didn't bother. As a result they grew into fertility and a fawn was born into this hell on 3rd Sept. Then the
young males were rehomed. There are now 8 deer in the compound.

Another top deer vet, Peter Green, was called in to inspect the herd after the deer was shot. His damning report (Clissold Health and Welfare Report)

There are also 4 rabbits are domestic: 1 lion head, 1 brown californian and 2 californian.
They are within the building works as I understand.
Maybe ask them to hand them over as they're suffering during the building works. Try john.wade@hackney.gov.uk .
I also have emails of hackney council and the national lottery who are funding this.

Please can anyone assist with helping these bunnies by writing emails?

There is also a facebook page to find out more.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Help-free-the-Clissold-Park-Deer/141484865898035?v=wall

Add not much mention of the bunnies but I think they need some help...

Would it not make sense to offer Hackney help in trying to rehome the four bunnies?

Is Rabshan still in the East End? Does she know anything about this and the bunnies?????

Last edited:
Rabbit and deer in clissold park

Hi raine:wave: Yes i am still here in the lovely east End although not really near to hackney and no i havn,t heard anything about this before:cry:Hackney is not an area where i would venture alone i,m afraid:shock: (hope i have not upset any hackney dwellers by saying this but there are places where you just don,t go and this is one of them although i m sure there are safe parts:)if you are not sure it,s best to stay away) I have only ever been to Clissold Park once a long time ago:) certainly wasn,t aware that they had deer there:shock:poor bunnies:shock:have the RSPCA been made aware of this situation? not that they are likely to do anything but it might be worth a try:cry:

Thanks Rab,

Can the OP go onto the facebook page, I dont do facebook, and ask what conditions the four rabbits are in?? You might also want to contact Hackney and ask if they would like some help in rehoming the four bunnies whilst these extensive works are underway. If they say yes, then we have something as a board to help with.

PS Sorry about multiple posts, screen freezing:roll:

Last edited:
Rabbit and deer welfare in clissold park

I have just mailed Animal Aid (I am a supporter and member) and asked them if they could check this out:cry:and if there is anything that i can do to help :)there is a deer sanctuary not far form me in Epping Forest (I used to ride past it )they may be able to take them :)I said there was concern about the 4 rabbits living there so hopefully they may be able to help:)

This is really awful - I hope something can be done to help. I can't believe they're kept in such poor conditions. :evil::evil:

Thanks Rabshan,

The issue I am led to believe is the public support to keep the deer as they are pretty.

I emailed to offer help home the rabbits and have not yet had a response.

A Hackney MP has said she'll look into it for me.

rabbit and deer in welfare in Clissold Park

I have had a reply from fiona peirra (sp) at Animal Aid:)they have contacted the council to try to get the deer out of there:cry:she has asked for everyone to sign the petition and to contact the council to protest about this poor treatment of the aninals kept there:cry:hope thats a help :)

Rabbit and deer welfare in Clissol Park. UPDATE!!!

There is going to be a demonstration at Clissodl Park on 19th.March (saturday) at 11 am.
In the last six months 3 deer :cry:4 rabbits and 10 birds have been killed at this park:evil: Animal Aid are trying to get the council to let the remaining animals be rehomed:)they have sanctuary places for the remaining deer:)goats and birds:)
I deer was killed by a dog on 14thfeb.:cry:another died from stress related infection on th 20th.feb. the feences that have been erected are not suitable to keep out vandals/predators:evil:
If you can come along and give your support it would be appreiciated:)let,s hope that these poor animals are soon freed:)

How terribly sad. I'm not able to get to the March but I hope it gets some good support and makes a difference. Good luck. Do I sign by clicking on the facebook link?

Back