• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Danger...danger....fox Alert!!!

Your spot on. The prolonged cold and snow has left foxes very cold and hungry.

The fox who had Arnie last week keeps coming back and staring through my house windows in hope that more dinner will come outside.:evil:

I think extra care and vigilence will be needed as they may start trying to chew through the wooden posts of runs or through the sides of hutches if they feel hungry enough.

I do feed the birds but I use bird food hangers hung from a special metal pole way up my large wooded garden.

I dont think people really believe the foxes are in their gardens until they see it for their own eyes... I know I certainly felt "safe" until I caught one trying to get into the playhouses :(

It's strange for me when I read stories about foxes because I've only ever known them to be reasonably timid, yes I had to run at one in broad daylight that was sunbathing in the garden next door or it wouldn't have moved but, their rabbit was in a run and the fox wasn't making any attempt or showing any interest at all, my feeling was that this particular young vixen had been fed by someone as she appeared very tame.

I've never heard anywhere other than on here of foxes biting through wooden hutches either - I'm not saying it doesn't happen - just that the only real horror stories I've heard are on here. I think it's worth being really vigilant and taking all the precautions you can but, I am more wary of 'free-range' than when they are in their enclosure. I think outside lighting (sensor) is brilliant - it's a real put off to a fox if a bright halogen light clicks on, they don't know it's a sensor and I think it's scary to them to stay and have a go at a hutch if there is a light on them.

It's strange for me when I read stories about foxes because I've only ever known them to be reasonably timid, yes I had to run at one in broad daylight that was sunbathing in the garden next door or it wouldn't have moved but, their rabbit was in a run and the fox wasn't making any attempt or showing any interest at all, my feeling was that this particular young vixen had been fed by someone as she appeared very tame.

I've never heard anywhere other than on here of foxes biting through wooden hutches either - I'm not saying it doesn't happen - just that the only real horror stories I've heard are on here. I think it's worth being really vigilant and taking all the precautions you can but, I am more wary of 'free-range' than when they are in their enclosure. I think outside lighting (sensor) is brilliant - it's a real put off to a fox if a bright halogen light clicks on, they don't know it's a sensor and I think it's scary to them to stay and have a go at a hutch if there is a light on them.

My security lighting coming on did not scare the fox one little bit...

security lighting just helps you see the fox and the fox see where it is going!

It does not scare them one little bit - at least not in suburban or urban areas.

security lighting just helps you see the fox and the fox see where it is going!

It does not scare them one little bit - at least not in suburban or urban areas.

Well it worked for me, it worked with cats aswell and acted as a deterrent afterwards.:wave:

Early yesterday morning it was just getting light and i was in my garage getting hay, when I looked up a fox was going full speed down the main road before he took a right turn and went up the track directly opposite me into a field! We have quite a few living nearby and I often see them crossing rthe road going from one field to the next! This is another reason for having D&D inside!

Tracybeakerisland Im very sorry for your loss what an horrific thing to have happen :cry:

Maybe you have rural foxes who are not so used to human things.
I would not be surprised to see the fox family in my garden turn up wearing the sort of clothes worn by the lads who are postcode gang members.:roll:

This time it will be the zap fox electric fencing as well and as I muttered to Becky some kind of richot device to throw them back up the garden if they try clearing six foot panels.

I have never seen a fox before. I live in a small village and my house backs on the A1 so there certainly wont be any coming in from that direction!

I am sure they are about and I just havent seen them, however I still choose to allow my rabbits to free range due to how much they enjoy it and how good for Snowdrop it is.

before i got the rabbits we had fox's visiting the garden every night. we even used to leave food out for them and i loved watching them. :)
then when i got rabbits i didnt want them coming back (obviously) so i looked up on various websits and found one that said human urine detered them. :shock:
so i got my OH to do a wee where they came in and they never came again. well ive never seen them anyway.

ive not seen them round here, but know they are as it was mentioned in newspaper and dad hsa seen them when he picks mum up from work at night

If you ever do let me know.

Getting a bit fed up of opening my curtains in the morning to find Mr Fox staring through the windows licking his lips. :shock:

And everything is frozen so solid out there there is no way I could set up an electric fence at the moment either.

seriously ask a male friend or OH to wee where you think its coming in. :oops: it worked for us and we did used to feed it. :roll:
if you daren't ask anyone use a jug or bowl. :oops: :lol:
it might take a few times but if it works its pretty cheap. :lol:

Back