• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has a trio??

Tasmin's MOB

Mama Doe
:wave:

Just wondering how many people have three bonded buns?

Did you have any problems with bonding etc?

Any advise/ opinions on having a trio would be really appreciated :)

Pics welcome :love:

thank you!

We have a trio- Snowy, Jessica and Milly, they get on fine although I think Jessica gets chased by Milly sometimes. I would probably go for a foursome given the chance again. Our first trio was Benji ( a wildie), Bramble and Clover ( dwarf lops), and Benji kept the girls in order ( neither of the girls were neutered, Benji was). All the bonds have been fairly easy, although I use a slow bonding method rather than the quick one generally prefered.

I doooo :D 2 boys and a girl. :love: Mischief and Tinkerbell are brother and sister who have always lived together. I then got Jasper who Tink liked but Mischief hated. :shock: After just under a year they are bonded but that's not constant trying. I did decide it would never happen but it has! :shock: :love: I just introduced the boys in the bathroom. First the bath, then the room itself. There was a lot of humping :oops: and fur pulling between the boys... :shock: but now they are best of friends! :D

This is them:
DSCF7797.jpg

I hope to introduce my other female rabbit to them next week! :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies :D

At the moment having four buns is not really an option but it may be something to think about for future.

Your buns are so gorgeous!!! :love:

Also halfpenny I think we will be using the slower method of bonding :)

I have two does and a buck.

No problems what so ever bonding. They'd been living next to each other for a few months while we got Eli healthy enough to be neutered and then recovery from neutering. Then we stuck them in a pen together and there were a few scuffles but nothing major. 48 hours later they went in to their shed and there's not been any problems since. :)

I had quite a few people advise that one bun would be left out and my local branch of the rspca told me that it couldn't possibly work :roll: but they work really well as a trio, I'd say they're closer than the girls were as a pair. :)

eta: one thing to bear in mind, if four rabbits isn't an option, is what will you do if the bonding fails? Leaving you with a pair and a single (not necessarily the original pair and single) or even three singles?

Had abit of problems with bonding and my trio bond actually broke up due to it, so now I have Blue and Honey together and Dizzee and Bracken together :roll:
Going to try again as ideally I would love them as a four.

Got to say though with my trio Bracken was left out abit Honey often gave her a chase hence Dizzee comeing so it would even up the group abit.

I have two does and a buck.

No problems what so ever bonding. They'd been living next to each other for a few months while we got Eli healthy enough to be neutered and then recovery from neutering. Then we stuck them in a pen together and there were a few scuffles but nothing major. 48 hours later they went in to their shed and there's not been any problems since. :)

I had quite a few people advise that one bun would be left out and my local branch of the rspca told me that it couldn't possibly work :roll: but they work really well as a trio, I'd say they're closer than the girls were as a pair. :)

eta: one thing to bear in mind, if four rabbits isn't an option, is what will you do if the bonding fails? Leaving you with a pair and a single (not necessarily the original pair and single) or even three singles?

Your right to ask this, we do have the room if all fails and we end up with a pair and a single and if this did happen then yes we would certainly not leave that bun on there own and would get a fourth.

The reason we are wanting three is because we have a buck and have found a doe to bond with him however she isn't available for at least another 4 to 5 weeks so we want to try and get him another friend now and then bond then bring the other girlie in when she can come to us.

(I hope this makes sense :lol:)

When I said four "isn't an option" I worded it wrong. :oops:

I have a trio, 2 does who came to me as a pair (sisters I think) and a buck. I didn't really have any bonding problems but they are not the happiest trio, there is a lot of squabbling and bullying, so I'm thinking about bonding them into a 5

I HAD a trio but Nutmeg never properly integrated with the lops. Maybe in time it would've got stronger but I felt that she needed a partner with a personality a bit more like hers. The lops are gregarious and friendly and outgoing. She is more reserved and will nip and is generally a little less unsettled, or she was then, she has come out of her shell a lot since, maybe that's because of Smudge. This is all due to not getting a lot of love for two years until she came here. She ended up being left out sometimes in the trio so I just decided to go for two pairs.

I know a lot of people find it does work, for us it didn't but I think that was more due to personalities than anything.

How do you know with personalities if it would work?
Often the new bun is an unknown in terms of character...or may change when with new buns....?
Im presuming its just trial & error.

Sometimes with my girls I think Arrabella is the dominant one - but then she will follow Indiana about as she is more adventurous...BU:?T Indiana will be submissive to Arrabella in most ways.
Its almost like Arrabella is "Im the boss", but actually she is a scaredy cat and abit nervous until assured. Indiana is less afraid & enjoys a fuss.

So - is Arrabella the dominant one?

I wonder about one bun being left out in trio's...:(

May sound silly but can you really tell a buns personality when you havent seen them with other buns or in new situations...can you base it on human interaction?:?

Last edited:
How do you know with personalities if it would work?
Often the new bun is an unknown in terms of character...or may change when with new buns....?
Im presuming its just trial & error.

Sometimes with my girls I think Arrabella is the dominant one - but then she will follow Indiana about as she is more adventurous...BU:?T Indiana will be submissive to Arrabella in most ways.
Its almost like Arrabella is "Im the boss", but actually she is a scaredy cat and abit nervous until assured. Indiana is less afraid & enjoys a fuss.

So - is Arrabella the dominant one?

I wonder about one bun being left out in trio's...:(

May sound silly but can you really tell a buns personality when you havent seen them with other buns or in new situations...can you base it on human interaction?:?

I think like you say it would be down to trial and error.

Not sure about who is the dominant one with your buns.

I don't think you can really tell a buns personality when you haven't seen them with other buns, I have no idea how Bernard (my male) will react to another rabbit.

We will just have to give it a go and hope for the best, if not we will have to have a back up plan! :)

I think like you say it would be down to trial and error.

Not sure about who is the dominant one with your buns.

I don't think you can really tell a buns personality when you haven't seen them with other buns, I have no idea how Bernard (my male) will react to another rabbit.

We will just have to give it a go and hope for the best, if not we will have to have a back up plan! :)

I guess so.....who knows how the buns will feel - maybe more the merrior or what the heck!:shock::lol:

I hope it works out for you! I think the worst would be if you ended up with 3 buns who didnt get on with anyone:roll:

I guess so.....who knows how the buns will feel - maybe more the merrior or what the heck!:shock::lol:

I hope it works out for you! I think the worst would be if you ended up with 3 buns who didnt get on with anyone:roll:

Thank you! Yes I hope it works too, and I think if that's the worst thing to happen I'm sure we can manage.

Just don't want three lonely buns as the only reason I'm doing this is so that Bernard isn't on his own for much longer!

I think if we are bonding Bernard with one bun we can make sure that goes ok before we bring the other girl home so hopefully the worst thing would be having one single and a pair.

I think the only way I will find out is by giving it a go!

Back