• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with gummy bunnies

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I've seen a few of you mention that you have gummy bunnies on here, and it might sound like a silly question, but how do they eat???? :oops:

I have 3 gummie bunnies and they all manage to eat pellets without any trouble, the only difference is I have to cut up their fresh veg into smaller pieces:D

what about the hay? Can they manage?:?:)

You wouldn't know they'd had their incisors removed, I will have to video Dodger, he will try and tackle anything, he's bonded with a non dental bun, and he gives her a run for her money when the food arrives:lol:

Ours all eat pellets with no problems and have their veg grated and shredded. Some of ours can eat hay, but those who are elderly and also lacking a lot of their molars do struggle.:wave:

My Herbie can manage anything except chunky or large pieces of veg.

I have to cut the veg up for him into ribbon style strips for the greens and mouth sized chunks for everything else.

He manages hay fine, he kinda moves it along to the end with his wee lips then gets the end in his mouth.

its not a daft question!
Angels tootyless (well she has mouth disease so she has teeth but none that grind together) she can eat pellets but what we actully think she does is swallow them whole. We grate carrot and lumpy things and chop up cabbage and greens.
Angel cant eat hay or grass, so we break up hay cubes but she doesn't really bother with them. We feed her baby nuggets as they are smaller and more fattening this helps her maintain her weight as when her mouth started getting real bad and she couldn't eat hay and things she began to loss a lot of weight.

I am, at this moment breaking off the very top of broccoli with my thumb nail to get tiny pieces for gummy Henry and Uncle.:)
They pick up pellets very well with thier lips, but Henry has very few molars so can only manage junior excell and grated veg. Hay is impossible for both of them.
Somtimes Uncle forgets he has no inscisors and tries to gnaw his cardboard box, my heart goes out to him:cry:

Back