• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How many rabbits could you look after?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
What would you say the maximum number of rabbits one person could care for in an eight hour day?

p.s with the right setup. Unlimited space and money ,but just limited manpower :)

Last edited:
Dis many!!! I couldn't cope with any more than this pair!!! :lol:

DSC01092.jpg

I'm such a lightweight!!

How long is a piece of string??

It depends on the persons ability, there set ups, the bunnies health and numerous other possibilities.

However it is important for people to know their limitations and not take on so many that they can't give all the buns the care that they need.

We know how many buns we can cope with and never go over that, but that number is totally different for someone else

Depends what kind of person they are. :) I'm 14 but I easily manage to spend time with my 4 and to be honest if I doubled my numbers then that would be ok too, just expensive. ;)

For someone who works full time, I'd say about 2 or 3? But then again, everyone's different. If I was rich, my limit would be 20. :lol: How many gorgeous bunnies do you have? I see lots in your siggy. :D

How long is a piece of string??

It depends on the persons ability, there set ups, the bunnies health and numerous other possibilities.

However it is important for people to know their limitations and not take on so many that they can't give all the buns the care that they need.

We know how many buns we can cope with and never go over that, but that number is totally different for someone else

How many do you have at the moment just out of interest?

Ah yes, meds take some time, compared with ordinary care- then there is excursions to the vets taking up more time.

Realistically right now 6 is our limit. Ideally though I would love to have 20! :lol: But I wouldnt have the energy and time to do that and work as well.

6 is the most we can practically manage to properly look after - but it doesnt stop me looking! :lol:

Aww so cute :)

That's the trouble with them!!! I just wanna spoil them all the time. If I had more (which I'd love) then I couldn't keep these two in the way they have become accustomed to - moneywise, time wise etc. If I was independently wealthy, could leave work and rescue bunnies full time, I think I could cope with maybe 4 pairs??

Depends what kind of person they are. :) I'm 14 but I easily manage to spend time with my 4 and to be honest if I doubled my numbers then that would be ok too, just expensive. ;)

For someone who works full time, I'd say about 2 or 3? But then again, everyone's different. If I was rich, my limit would be 20. :lol: How many gorgeous bunnies do you have? I see lots in your siggy. :D

I have 14 at the moment :) I have 12 hours a day 7 days a week that i can spend with my buns though, so I'm quite lucky in that respect.

Your buns look lovely. I had a cat called Jasper- he was my first kitty. Four is a good number of rabbits to have i think to be able to give them the right amount of attention and so on.

Realistically right now 6 is our limit. Ideally though I would love to have 20! :lol: But I wouldnt have the energy and time to do that and work as well.

6 is the most we can practically manage to properly look after - but it doesnt stop me looking! :lol:

Your 6 are amazing. I know what you mean about working then having 20 bunnies and working at the same time.

I work full-time, so for me, 2's the limit at the moment. I spend around an hour with them in the morning. If I can, I pop home at lunchtime but only get 30 mins, 16 mins travelling to/from work and the rest with the buns. Then when I get home, I spend around another hour-ish, cleaning/feeding/grooming/being ignored.:roll:

I always go out again at 8.30pm and normally spend 30 mins with them, but just came back in after 50 mins because I forgot my watch and it wasn't too cold for once :lol:

I finished work early today and I spent an hour just cleaning/sorting out their stuff, so today I've spent longer with them than a normal working day (and do they appreciate me.......................only if I've got food :lol:)

How many do you have at the moment just out of interest?

Ah yes, meds take some time, compared with ordinary care- then there is excursions to the vets taking up more time.

We have 37 at the moment.

Vet trips take a lot of time, we can often take 10 or more every week. we have been lucky this week and only have 6 booked in :)

I work three jobs and I have nine buns - but am single, with no family and not much of a social life. I never go away overnight and do have to take time off work if the buns are ill - or like this afternoon when the vet came out to give six of them their myxi jabs.

My jobs are fairly flexible - I could never cope if I had to work strict set hours. I can pop home throughout the day too - invaluable when I have a sick bun who needs regular meds or checking on. If I was really stuck I would probably take the bun into work with me:oops:

I probably don't clean them out as often as many on here do. Most of my buns are litter trained and I only do the trays, the whole hutch gets done once a week, with any escaping 'raisins' swept from the carpet when I do the trays.

I don't spend that much time with the outdoor buns in the winter either. I make sure they are handled regularly but don't interact with them for as long as when I am out in the garden with them in the summer. They all have bunny company though - I have no single buns - and so are never lonely.

I spend more time with my indoor two. That's why I bonded Faye with Furby so quickly after I rehomed her - I hated Furby being an outdoor single bun. I thought it was unfair because I am at work during the day.

It does take a lot of juggling. I have nine cats too but the buns are much, much more time consuming - but their litter trays smell a lot nicer!!!

Last edited:
We have 37 at the moment.

Vet trips take a lot of time, we can often take 10 or more every week. we have been lucky this week and only have 6 booked in :)

Wow that's a fair few. Do you do all the work yourself associated with them or do you have help. You say you have 6 booked in, do some go out them for re-homing rather than stay with you or do they remain with you?

I work full-time, so for me, 2's the limit at the moment. I spend around an hour with them in the morning. If I can, I pop home at lunchtime but only get 30 mins, 16 mins travelling to/from work and the rest with the buns. Then when I get home, I spend around another hour-ish, cleaning/feeding/grooming/being ignored.:roll:

I always go out again at 8.30pm and normally spend 30 mins with them, but just came back in after 50 mins because I forgot my watch and it wasn't too cold for once :lol:

I finished work early today and I spent an hour just cleaning/sorting out their stuff, so today I've spent longer with them than a normal working day (and do they appreciate me.......................only if I've got food :lol:)

aww that sounds like a nice routine though - im sure they appreciate you really :)

I agree that everyone will be different.

I think I could look after a lot, but I think to have enough time to spend with them, not feel pressured and still enjoy keeping them as much as I do I wouldn't like to have more than a bonded group of 6.

I always said that if Eli wouldn't bond with the girls I'd get another bun and have two pairs but I'm so glad they did bond because two pairs is twice as much time and effort than a group of four.

I work three jobs and I have nine buns - but am single, with no family and not much of a social life. I never go away overnight and do have to take time off work if the buns are ill - or like this afternoon when the vet came out to give six of them their myxi jabs.

My jobs are fairly flexible - I could never cope if I had to work strict set hours. I can pop home throughout the day too - invaluable when I have a sick bun who needs regular meds or checking on. If I was really stuck I would probably take the bun into work with me:oops:

I probably don't clean them out as often as many on here do. Most of my buns are litter trained and I only do the trays, the whole hutch gets done once a week, with any escaping 'raisins' swept from the carpet when I do the trays.

It does take a lot of juggling. I have nine cats too but the buns are much, much more time consuming - but their litter trays smell a lot nicer!!!

wow i can imagine- i have 3 indoor cats and i certainly know when they have been to the loo!! I know what you mean about the buns being more work, cats are not so time consuming at all. Although meal times at yours for the kittys must be fun:) I have biscuits down 24/7 but i still get nibbled in the morning by trudy asking me to get up and feed her meat. I love it though.

Wow that's a fair few. Do you do all the work yourself associated with them or do you have help. You say you have 6 booked in, do some go out them for re-homing rather than stay with you or do they remain with you?

I do everything myself. Steve my hubby does a lot of the running around while I stay at home and do everything else. Its not just looking after the bunnies,, its all the paperwork, finances, sponsorships and answering emails etc that takes loads of time. We have no practical help at all.

None of ours go for rehoming, they are all elderly or special needs. Many are terminally ill and on average we loose around 2 bunnies a month sometimes more.

This weeks appointments are fairly straight forward, one acupuncture, 2 VHD, and 3 health/ dental checks.

Where as last week, we had 2 respiratory infections, one pts, 2 in for tests including x-rays and ultra sounds, more acupuncture, I can't even remember the rest it has been so hectic :oops:

aww that sounds like a nice routine though - im sure they appreciate you really :)

Yep, they appreciate the food I give them after begging and making me feel guilty :lol: I should make them thrones really as they're treated like royalty, my colleagues think I'm a loon. :lol:

I agree that everyone will be different.

I think I could look after a lot, but I think to have enough time to spend with them, not feel pressured and still enjoy keeping them as much as I do I wouldn't like to have more than a bonded group of 6.

I always said that if Eli wouldn't bond with the girls I'd get another bun and have two pairs but I'm so glad they did bond because two pairs is twice as much time and effort than a group of four.

A bonded group of six sounds fun, do they have squabbles now and again? My max i have together is 3. Glad that your lot finally bonded.

Back