• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bowl help?

jenjen01

Young Bun
:wave:
my maggie got a thing for throwing plastic bowls around so put a big pyrex dish in last night for her with all the veg and pellets for her and her daughter.

went out to change it this morning and she compleatly burried it with her bedding ontop of it :roll: she does the same with her ceramic food bowl. she also does this with all the toys.

if you look in the hutch it just looks as tho theres just straw in there but everything gets burried and she flattens the bedding ontop:lol:

her poor daughter looks lost all the time bless her. when i dig the bowl out from under all the bedding its full of straw. anybody got any ideas or do i just let her get on with it? is this normal?

Could you get a holder for it similar to the water bottle ones? Or maybe make a wooden platform with sides for it to sit on?

Do you need to use a bowl for the food? My boys have bowls upstairs in the hutches, but most of the time they are happiest when I scatter the food around for them to forage for it.

It sounds like Maggie is determined to bury everything! Do they manage to eat enough, or is digging out part of the fun for her, do you think? What layout is their accomodation - could you put the food dishes somewhere there is less hay to throw on top?

she throws her bedding anywhere and everywhere (shes not a tidy bun:lol:)
its a 2 tier hutch-well will be when we finnish the bottom half in two weeks so might try putting it downstairs but even then she will probably kick it all down the stairs knowing 'miss moody' :lol:
im thinking when we have maggie spayed in the next few weeks things will start to calm down (fingers crossed)
they both seem to eat enough and i know maggie forages for the food but never see pebbles so been giving her dinner outside the hutch and they always have unlimited hay but poor pebbles just sits in her hay box looking fed up of her toys getting hidden from her:(
will have a look on the internet see if i can get maybe something that i can attatch to the wire on the door for the food. thanks everyone

Getting her spayed may well help, and keeping the dishes is a good idea. My friend has a very hormonal minilop who is always kicking food and bowls downstairs. Some of bowls are quite big and heavy, but he manages to move them. :shock:

I hope you manage to sort out something that suits both bunnies. Most bunnies quite like rooting about for things, so I am slightly surprised Pebbles doesn't just dig her toys out if she wants them. My Spenser has a habit of putting his toys in his water bowl. :roll:

Do you need to use a bowl for the food? My boys have bowls upstairs in the hutches, but most of the time they are happiest when I scatter the food around for them to forage for it.

This is what I do too, or we play games with it (I have an indoor bun). It keeps them occupied for a while and is closer to natural behaviour.

She will most likely quit it when she's been spayed, with most buns (not all!) it calms odd and destructive behaviours.

Back