• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a thorn in Spenser's Morrison's hay!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I found it when I was out at the hutch just there, checking Spenser was OK. He was sat on his blankie in the corner, so I pushed one of his hay piles a bit nearer and jagged my hand on what turned out to be a twig with jaggy bits - maybe not throns but they looked and felt very similar. :shock::cry: The hay is really for his bedding, but he likes nomming it sometimes.

We get a sharp prickly thing in our hay bales sometimes. The buns love eating it even though it hurts my hands. Have no idea what it is :?

I wouldnt worry, my last bale was very prickly, every day i got a thorn in my finger, but the buns are fine with it! they love it in fact

Used to find those when I bought hay in a bag. I buy a bale now and havent found any in that! So the bunnies can eat it then!! I'd have been going through the hay strand by strand to pull any more out!! :roll::lol:

Thanks - that's reassuring. :) I have noticed Spenser seems to seek out twiggy bits and eat them with particular relish, but the jaggy nature of this piece upset me. I took it away, thinking it might damage his insides, and topped up his hay pile with some oat hay. :oops: I can still feel where it pricked my fingers.

My latest bale has loads of thorny twigs i too - must be the season. I picked them all out after hurting my hand, but then the buns went mad eating it - so now just leave it in for them:roll::lol:

I feel quite bad now - as if I have deprived him of a tasty treat (like when I picked the nasty brown-looking leaves out of his run before I realised he liked them best).:oops::roll::lol:

I feel quite bad now - as if I have deprived him of a tasty treat (like when I picked the nasty brown-looking leaves out of his run before I realised he liked them best).:oops::roll::lol:

You were just trying to be a good bunnymommy. You know now what they are. I'd do the same if I wasn't sure of something.

Back