• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sergeant's bid for freedom

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
Last night, I had a bit of a drama. At the weekend, I'd finally got round to clearing all the dead plants that the bunnies couldn't eat, so they finally had the run of the whole balcony for the first time. They went out for a while on at the weekend and then again last night. And then some time around 7:30pm, Sergeant disappeared. There is a teeny tiny gap between my balcony and next door's balcony, which acts as a gutter to drain rain water away. And Sergeant, who is much larger and lazier than his sister, managed to slip through. I could just about make out his little silhouette jumping around next door. I spent the next twenty long minutes calling to him, trying to entice him back through with food and shouting to the neighbours, none of which worked. He poked his little head back through to get to the tasty food and it looked like it filled the gap alone. He looked like he was trying to get back but couldn't squeeze through. Eventually, I hit upon the idea of using the bamboo cane I'd used in the summer to prop up the sunflowers to bang on next door's balcony door. I should mention that I had no idea what number they were and that they have a different building entrance to me. The cane didn't quite reach, but I banged on the wall near the door and eventually the door opened! I explained what had happened and asked if I could come and get him, she introduced herself and then I realised that the little rascal was back! He must have been frightened back over when she opened the door. I was so relieved but felt like a bit of an idiot. She did at least see them as they were scuttling by my doors, exclaiming "oh you've got two!", as I was frantically trying to stop them going back to the gap (believe me, they were trying!). I apologised and thanked her countless times.

Needless to say, they are not going back out on the balcony until I have plugged up the gap (and the similar one that goes straight out to thin air - surely they wouldn't be that stupid?). A friend has offered to give me some chicken wire that I can hopefully figure out how to attach somehow.

This is the gap he managed to get through:

photo-1.jpg

It looks bigger in the photo than it actually is, I think!

Blimey! :shock::shock::shock: I'm sure the relief was as great as the embarrassment. It's amazing how fairly large rabbits can squeeze into tiny places. My Spenser can make himself quite comfortable behind our piano when he is having indoor time.

I forgot to mention the woman walking by on the street below laughing at me and asking if it was a cat! I live on the third floor but was shouting so loud and madly to get the neighbours attention! Luckily it's a fairly quiet street though.

Back