• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pellets question

Georgeypudding

Wise Old Thumper
Should I swap my two over from Junior and Dwarf to adult pellets :?

My two are nethies and just over a year old, I dont know which kind they should be on. I have a whole bag to finish but wondering what I should get for next time :wave:

what brand would you reccomend? :wave: currently they are on P@H ( I know :roll: but Mae lost weight when I switched her to excell) oh and Mae is a gummy bunny :wave:

what brand would you reccomend? :wave: currently they are on P@H ( I know :roll: but Mae lost weight when I switched her to excell) oh and Mae is a gummy bunny :wave:

hmm....did she loose weight on the junier or adult excel pellets?
I would think that science selective, or excel would be good and if she has a weight problem, then barley rings might help her to gain/ not loose.
You could always use the junior types, but it may make your other rabbit a bit podgy, depends how you feed them.

I also like Allen and paige breeder grower, but you have to buy that in big 20kg bags.

then barley rings might help her to gain/ not loose.

There was a feature in the current Rabbiting On magazine warning about feeding barley rings. The gist was the odd one if the bun is needing to improve their condition is ok but don't make it a regular thing as they will get fat adn are full of carbs so could upset their tums :wave:

In answer to the original question I would consider moving to adult pellets. I personally prefer mature pellets for mine as they are not as rich and have less calcium. Adult should be fine for you and if you want a cheap but decent, readily available one go for Excel but look out for sticky bums.

There was a feature in the current Rabbiting On magazine warning about feeding barley rings. The gist was the odd one if the bun is needing to improve their condition is ok but don't make it a regular thing as they will get fat adn are full of carbs so could upset their tums :wave:

yup, your right, i should of put a few extra, I didnt mean just barley rings :lol:

barley rings as in the horse things :?

i THINK they were on adult excell pellets, it was a green bag :lol:
Im pretty sure she was on Allen and Paige when she came to me, will have to check. Will SS be easy for her to eat with no front teeth?
Sebastian is a little on the podgey size :oops: will be putting him on a diet come spring :lol:

barley rings as in the horse things :?

i THINK they were on adult excell pellets, it was a green bag :lol:
Im pretty sure she was on Allen and Paige when she came to me, will have to check. Will SS be easy for her to eat with no front teeth?
Sebastian is a little on the podgey size :oops: will be putting him on a diet come spring :lol:

yeh they are for horses.
As I said, i depends how you feed them. If one has trouble keeping weigth on, then maybe it would be an idea to feed them seperatly?
Giving one the higher protien food.

I dont know how she will find SS , the pellets for the normal foos are pretty large.

Ive found some Allen and Page natural pellets which have 20 something % fibre :thumb: only problem is I dont want to buy a huge bag and them not eat it :roll: (although its less than £10 )

Been to look at what Mae came to me with and she was on A+P Natural so will probably go back to that :wave:

Ive found some Allen and Page natural pellets which have 20 something % fibre :thumb: only problem is I dont want to buy a huge bag and them not eat it :roll: (although its less than £10 )

Been to look at what Mae came to me with and she was on A+P Natural so will probably go back to that :wave:

If you can get hold of it then A+P is a great pellet. They will be fine on it :wave:

I would watch as im not sure you will get through a bag before it goes out of date.
The natural pellet has been said to cause loss in condition by somepeople, as you say your rabbit easily looses weight, i would of thought the breeder and grower pellet would be better for them.

This is an interesting thread. :? My friend's mini-lop is on Excel Junior and Dwarf, I believe on his vet's recommendation. Are they a more concentrated form of calories then that smaller as well as yound rabbits do better on?

I was wondering this too, Oscar is on Excel junior and dwarf at the moment (he's a nethie), would you recommend changing him to an adult pellet or not? If so, what age?

I dont know what to put Mae on now, I wont get through a sack of A+P in time, Im worried SS wont fit in mae's mouth and excell didnt agree with her :? what to doooo!

I dont know what to put Mae on now, I wont get through a sack of A+P in time, Im worried SS wont fit in mae's mouth and excell didnt agree with her :? what to doooo!

Could you try Oxbow Bunny Basics / T?
I know its a bit dearer, but may be smaller for her to fit in her mouth and also is very high fibre...
Im sure that Indiana (who got messy buns & battled to put on weight) has gained weight and has alot less messy bums since I changed her over. And she was on P@H...then Excell, now on Oxbow. I substitute the pellets & hay with dried herbs/plants/flowers etc.

I havent weighed her - its just by sight - she seems abit plumper...unless its winter fat....:?

:)

Back