• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

can rabbits have...

anaveragemuppet

Wise Old Thumper
...white bread?

I only ask as it's so cold and I've got lots of it, wondering if Zeke can have some?

Also, I noticed people give some of their buns porridge, is it cold and made with water or milk? or is it just the oats?

I would say no, it's full of E numbers & artificial stuff.

Porrage is ok & I think just plain oats with water is ok too, not milk though :D

I'd also of thought it was too starchy and could acuse tummy probs.

Ref the porriage its used to fatten skinny buns so don't feed to much if it isn't needed.

Someone here has pinched some before and it hasn't done any harm, I wouldn't actually give it to her though.

i just wasn't sure, i'd love to give him something to make him warmer from the inside. i'll keep the bread for the birds!

Oops, I missed the porridge bit, I give porridge mixed with water, I sometimes put bits of chopped fruit in or mashed banana goes down well. You can give oats dry but be careful as they swell up quite a bit and buns eyes are often bigger than their stomachs! :lol:

Rodge is obsesses with toast, I cant eat it in the same room as him as he goes bonkers. Its not good for them but that bun would kill for a nibble on my toast! :lol:

Rodge is obsesses with toast, I cant eat it in the same room as him as he goes bonkers. Its not good for them but that bun would kill for a nibble on my toast! :lol:

:lol: Same with me. I put my fingers in Ben's cage after I had eaten toast yesterday and he literally tried to swallow my fingers :shock:

Whenever I come home with a breadstick it has to go on top of the fridge or madam runs off with it :lol: My Vin (at the bridge) loved tiger bread, She was very ill with EC and therefore allowed to eat bread if it would put weight on.

Same with me. I put my fingers in Ben's cage after I had eaten toast yesterday and he literally tried to swallow my fingers

:lol: I have to admit, when Rodge refuses to come back in after his free range time in the garden.....I bribe him with the tiniest bit of toast. oh thats terrible isnt it, its just like a mum bribing a kid to quit crying with a bag of sweets! :oops:

I agree with everyone else on the bread. Pipkin goes mad for it when he pinches some though :roll:

With the porridge, I put a pinch of oats in a bowl and a little bit of water, then microwave it until all the water is absorbed (only a few seconds). Then I mix a little bit more cold water in to make sure it is a nice consistency. Wait for it to cool down before giving it to them too.
Pipkin loves porridge, but Ruby isn't really keen. Will depend on your buns!

I agree with everyone else on the bread. Pipkin goes mad for it when he pinches some though :roll:

With the porridge, I put a pinch of oats in a bowl and a little bit of water, then microwave it until all the water is absorbed (only a few seconds). Then I mix a little bit more cold water in to make sure it is a nice consistency. Wait for it to cool down before giving it to them too.
Pipkin loves porridge, but Ruby isn't really keen. Will depend on your buns!

i love the idea of making them porridge, something warm and filling before bed :D Might give it a go, they'll go nuts for it if it has some mashed nana in :love:

Bread is not good. It slows down the digestive system, but boy do they love it! :lol:
(Grim does have bread though)
Porridge should really be fed soaked so it doesn't swell up in their stomach. I have fed it dry though with no ill effect. I make porridge up with water banana and apple and puree it for ill buns and chinchillas who won't eat. That goes down a treat. :)

Bread is not good. It slows down the digestive system, but boy do they love it! :lol:
(Grim does have bread though)
Porridge should really be fed soaked so it doesn't swell up in their stomach. I have fed it dry though with no ill effect. I make porridge up with water banana and apple and puree it for ill buns and chinchillas who won't eat. That goes down a treat. :)

is it worth giving to outside buns in this weather in your opinion?

thanks for the quick reply!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb: i really wasn't sure!

:wave:

I tried feeding Dolly Oats when shes was on the skinny side, shed have a few pethetic mouthfuls and turn her nose up at it.

Now i feed it to the guinea pigs in the winter. They dont like it moist either, so they just have dry rolled oats :)

Back