• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water bowls breaking in cold HELP

weeble

All my water bowls are ceramic and they have started to crack and break in the cold :shock: Just wondered if anyone can suggest a better material? Would plastic be any good or would that go brittle?

Plastic would probably be better in this cold - Wilkinsons sell them quite cheaply, then you can go back to your nice ceramic ones when the weather's better :)

I stopped using stoneware bowls a year or so ago because of the cold cracking them. All of our bunnies now have Pyrex. Whilst they are cold too, they are heat and cold resisitant (can be used in the freezer for home cooking and reheating human foods) so they don't crack or break. I use the souffle/casserole size ones, quite big, so take a while to freeze. They do still freeze but not so quickly.

I pick mine up in chairty shops for about £1 -£1.50 each

I stopped using stoneware bowls a year or so ago because of the cold cracking them. All of our bunnies now have Pyrex. Whilst they are cold too, they are heat and cold resisitant (can be used in the freezer for home cooking and reheating human foods) so they don't crack or break. I use the souffle/casserole size ones, quite big, so take a while to freeze. They do still freeze but not so quickly.

Oooo thats a good idea thanks I will have a look for them

Ooh - that's a good idea!

We have a metal one that sits in a ring but would that make the water freeze quicker if you didn't have a brick or snugglesafe under it?

Ours don't freeze as in shed with tubular heaters now.:D

We have a metal one that sits in a ring but would that make the water freeze quicker if you didn't have a brick or snugglesafe under it?

Ours don't freeze as in shed with tubular heaters now.:D

Show off :lol:

Yes it probably would I did think about metal and thought their lips might stick to it when it was really cold :shock:

:oops: I know.

We only put them in the main part this week as the water was freezing. I thought it may have anyway last night as it was sooooo cold but it was OK this morning.

I also heat their blankets up before putting them to bed :oops: They are just sitting on the floor though and not using the bed :roll:

I would go for cheap plastic ones. I've been using ones from wilkinsons for ages. They don't hold the cold like ceramic bowls do. They also have a wide base so aren't easily tipped over whilst they are full of water.

I haven't seen plastic rabbit bowls in Wilkinsons. Are they really dog dishes you just use for rabbits? Only breakage here was when I put a bowl on top of the hutch and forgot it was there until I pulled the cover down - crash! :shock:

Yay i got some off freecycle i can heat them up slightly to help stop the freezing too! Although its 2 degrees here today and someone has just walked past me in shorts

When I went out this morning both glass water bottles had broken during the night. :shock::shock::shock: They were only about 1/4 full too, I thought they would be safe enough like that... seems not.

Must have been mightly cold last night... poor buns! They hadn't even used their snuggles safes when I went out though! Crazy wabbits!

When I went out this morning both glass water bottles had broken during the night. :shock::shock::shock: They were only about 1/4 full too, I thought they would be safe enough like that... seems not.

Must have been mightly cold last night... poor buns! They hadn't even used their snuggles safes when I went out though! Crazy wabbits!

:shock: Dont say that now I have these! Mind you they are pyrex so should be a bit better

Back