• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much rabbit waste do you have to bin per day?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
I was wondering this, based on a 6x2x2 hutch.....

How many bin liners worth of bedding do you put in the hutch and end up binning?

At the moment I'm pulling out four bags worth of hay, newspaper and auboise and emptying the litter tray. Most of what I'm pulling out is hay.

In the winter do you bed down the whole hutch ( as i do), with a large amount of bedding or just in the sleeping area?

Or do you use less? If so how much?
Thanks

p.s How many bin bags full of rabbit waste , hay , litter do you have per day/week etc? Please state hutch size.

Last edited:
5 large black refuse sacks a day (19 INDOOR centrally heated enclosures, not hutches). So 35 sacks a week.

In the Winter I would definitely put thick bedding down in ALL of the hutch if I had outdoor hutched Rabbits

I have four six foot hutches and two five foot doubles. In the summer I was filling about 8 massive garden waste sacks a fortnight. Now they are on thicker bedding I am doubling that easily. If my council didn't take it I don't know how I'd manage.

I have 3 indoor buns, so just one little grocery store bag of newspaper from the spot where they poo/pee.

For 6x2x2 hutch and 5x5 run filled with hay.

One large compost bin per week.

Half a refuse bag per day, cleaning poos and soiled hay from both the sleeping part of the hutch and from the run.

Half a slice of hay used per day, 1/4 to refill the sleeping part and 1/4 to refill the run.

Hay is put over the whole hutch but they only toilet in the sleeping part so only need to clean that part every day.

house bunnys, so its difficult to say...Their base is a 48" dog crate, but that doesnt really make any difference.

but roughly, i fill 2x BIG black sacks a week, just from emptying litter tray.

These have to go to our local recycling centre so i go once a week to take them, as the council refuse to take them as they are 'garden waste' apparently :roll:

Half a carrier bag a day of megazorb from their litter trays, and once a week i take all the straw and newspaper out of their sleeping area which fills a full black sack.

I can't afford to bin loads of hay! They just get it in a massive bowl that gets refilled twice a day.

I did toy with the idea of putting straw in their living room bit as well as the sleeping area but they spend all their time downstairs in the 6x4 run even when it's -7 and snowing :roll: and if i filled it with straw i wouldn't have anywhere "indoors" to put their water and food dishes, im not ruling it out entirely if it were to get even colder than it has been this week (if thats possible!) but they seem happy as they are for now.

I literally have no idea as all ours goes straight from litter tray to compost heap but roughly two bin bags a week for four bunnies.

Daily 1 carrier bag from 4 rabbits litter trays (can't say hutch sizes as they share an aviary with various hidey holes, hutch areas).

They are stuffed with hay at the moment, but I change that weekly (2 very compressed bin bags full) as they never pee in their bedding areas.

I separate out hay/straw from other stuff like newspaper. The hay and straw can then be composted easily or dumped in the garden waste skip at the local tip.

It's difficult to say exactly how much waste we have because I use extra large bin liners, but probably about 8 large sacks of hay/straw, and 8 large sacks of non-composible per week at the moment.

I pack the hutches with loads of hay this time of year (even the wendy house).
So I end up with alot of waste hay when I clean out. I usually have about 3-4 megazorb bags of waste each week in this weather. In the summer though, I use a lot less hay, so it can sometimes go down to just 2 megazorb bags.

I literally have no idea as all ours goes straight from litter tray to compost heap but roughly two bin bags a week for four bunnies.

^^^ this, mine mostly goes in compost from our zeke as his waste composts better! :lol::lol::lol: we have a proper compost bin now, but we've still got our half a compost bin/garden at the bottom. we're trying to burn some in the dark nights, in an incinerator. i wouldn't advise this as we got told off for it on here! :oops: but it's the only way we can go at the moment! but we need to clear the bottom of the garden as when we moved here it was full of branches and garden waste and we're just making it worse, we want to get proper fencing around the garden and when we get it a lot clearer, we'll be able to. then all the piggies and zeke can free range our whole garden, which will be such a bigger space then! so they'll be able to have at least 3-5 hours a day free ranging like crazy, imagine the binkies and popcorns! you could always stack it at the bottom of your garden in bin bags and rent a skip once every three-six months! my husband wont let me do that though :( but i think a skip would fit about 20-30 bin bags full? i dont know

I pack the hutches with loads of hay this time of year (even the wendy house).
So I end up with alot of waste hay when I clean out. I usually have about 3-4 megazorb bags of waste each week in this weather. In the summer though, I use a lot less hay, so it can sometimes go down to just 2 megazorb bags.

I reckon I actually use more in summer having indoor bunnies cos I change the boxes 3 times a week instead of twice.

^^^ this, mine mostly goes in compost from our zeke as his waste composts better! :lol::lol::lol: we have a proper compost bin now, but we've still got our half a compost bin/garden at the bottom. we're trying to burn some in the dark nights, in an incinerator. i wouldn't advise this as we got told off for it on here! :oops: but it's the only way we can go at the moment! but we need to clear the bottom of the garden as when we moved here it was full of branches and garden waste and we're just making it worse, we want to get proper fencing around the garden and when we get it a lot clearer, we'll be able to. then all the piggies and zeke can free range our whole garden, which will be such a bigger space then! so they'll be able to have at least 3-5 hours a day free ranging like crazy, imagine the binkies and popcorns! you could always stack it at the bottom of your garden in bin bags and rent a skip once every three-six months! my husband wont let me do that though :( but i think a skip would fit about 20-30 bin bags full? i dont know

Ha! We don't do it in our garden, think my Mum and Dad would be concerned about rats and stuff so we do it over the allotment. I have about 4 boxes per pair and rotate them, once three are full and one in use Dad or I take them up there. :thumb: Works for us. Though Dad has two LARGE compost bins and we are steadily filling them up and running out of room! He'll have to start using it soon!

I have an idea now! Cos I've had to bag up the rubbish cos we can't get over the allotment. Well, we could walk but I'm not walking with 6 full and heavy boxes of bunny waste!!

Anyway - 6 boxes, which is about a week and a half of rubbish for my four, has three quarters filled two megazorb sacks. I can't fill them right up cos I have to have space to put the box right in the bag otherwise it goes everywhere. :oops: So for us approximately one full megazorb sack a week. 80L.

2 indoor bunnies - not much at all -just a tesco bag size each day....thats just from the litter tray & left hay.
When they were outdoors though it was much more - i think if they were in their hutches & it was all filled with hay they would possibly toilet everywhere....so would be a good bun bag or more each week for sure.
1 outdoor bunny - just the daily litter tray - he is very clean & doesnt toilet in the hutch at all so I just add more hay now & then....will clean out the hay & do all fresh after 1 week.:D

I have a 6x2x2 hutch two buns...normally put out 3-4 binbags a week, most goes in the brown bin for compost collection though. A lot of that is newspaper (I double up in winter), they have a carboard box in the bedding with a hole and LOTS of straw in the box and around it with towels covering up cracks and holes etc.

More towels in the main area with a snuggle safe and their litter tray which gets cleaned out about 3-4 times a day and filled with hay.

I guess I have the same in summr too as they both like to wee a lot :roll: and especially after they've eaten celery... and I get OCD about fly strike as well as she gets mushy poos in the summer.

My 2 have 60sqft during the day and 24 on a night.

I get 1/2 a bin liner every 3 days. :) clean bunnys...but theyre indoors too so thats probably why :oops:

We fill about 2 sacks a week with 6 hutches and the shed.

Although they are bedded completely on Hay with a litter tray, they've often eaten everything by bedtime each night :love:

I have two playhouses full of hay and bedding at the moment and I put out about six big liners full a week of hay newspaper megazorb etc.... oh and lots of bunny poop :lol:

Ive got a 5 1/2 feet double hutch and take out a small carrier bag every day... One is completely bedded on straw and the other has woodchip and straw in her bed. One is fairly tidy and the other is an extreme bog goblin!

Im not taking all the poos out of the little ones hutch at the moment though as im flinging them in a corner to try and litter train her.... its not working so far!

Back