• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is farm hay really ok?

CharlieBabbit

Warren Scout
I see some of you recommend farm hay and by this, I assume you mean real hay direct from the local farm? Well, I was just wondering, is there no concern over contamination or pesticides or whatever. Even slight mildew or rat urine??

Is it safe to give Charlie the same hay I get for my goats from the local stables? Sometimes it's hay, sometimes it's haylage...are both ok or is haylage too rich?

Thanks for any help xx

Errrrrrrrrrrmmmm, where do you think the bags of hay Petshops sell comes from ;)

Haylage is NOT suitable for Rabbits x

I'm really not totally blonde :lol: I realise where petshop hay comes from but thought it may have been sterilised first! ;)

Last edited:
Farm hay is fine, my lot tend to like the thick stalks, especially when they are still green.

I know what you mean about trusting the bagged sort more, but since changing mine to a bale they are all fine wit it and I have saved a large fortune:oops:

Haylage is a definite no-no:)

I trust bagged more. I do wish I could find clean bales though. I've found all sorts of things in bales. Feathers, unidentifiable objects, dirt and dust. So check it over before buyng :)

I'm pretty much 101% sure that all bagged hay comes from farms?
My rabbits will only eat farm hay. It's not full of any nasties and is full of gorgeous extra like stalks and weeds... THEY LOVE IT!!

I was talking to one of the girls that works in the place I get my hay from. She said that they have a guy who comes in, buys several bales at £6 each then bags them up into loads of bags and sells them for a tenner each. SO makes loads of profit cos he can get loads of bags from a bale.

I usually have no problems with a bale although I get annoyed when I get out a 'slice' and the majority isn't hay as my current bale was at the beginning. Means it won't last me so long but bales save me a huge amount of money and the bunnies like it much much more.

Ive just opened a 6ft bale of wrapped hay bought for the horses and nabbed a bagful for the buns - its dust extracted and very soft :) The horses love it, so hopefully the buns will have a good nibble!

I get straw from the yard too.... although i have a confession to make... i chop it up so the strands arent so long:oops: Its much nicer than most bagged stuff and it gets a good shake out too!

I usually gett bagged farm hay - usually you can tell when its good as it has a lovely smell. The processed type hay from PAH has no lovely smell.

Even so I think you take your chances with any type of hay. Recently Honey got a piece of very fine hay in her eye (about an inch) which had got partly behind her eye. It must have happened overnight and I noticed in the morning and managed to remove it - however it still needed treating at the vets and she had an ulcer covering the whole of her eye. This was from a bag of speciality hay from PAH.

It cleared up after a week of eyedrops and anti-biotic cream, but it did give me a scare.

I have no choice but to buy farm hay!
Have found a good hay contractor who can supply meadow hay cut from an organic farm.
It is really very good & the buns seem very happy with it.

I think local farm hay is better, but you have to know a supplier that you really trust to be sure you're using good quality hay. Unfortunately I currently know none, so I am usually buying the ones sold at pet shops here, like Bunny from Germany or Oxbow from U.S.A.

I'm pretty much 101% sure that all bagged hay comes from farms?
My rabbits will only eat farm hay. It's not full of any nasties and is full of gorgeous extra like stalks and weeds... THEY LOVE IT!!

Snap my two will not touch bagged stuff!, they love the extra goodies they can forage. I have had no problems in the 8 months I have been feeding

Back