• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rest In Peace Dixie - 4 1/2 month netherland dwarf

Dixiee

New Kit
I recently lost my gorgeous little bunny, she was a happy, seemingly healthy indoor bunny, she got free run of my room (and became the boss!) one day, with no signs of any problems she had what i can only describe as a seizure, it was asif she was being thrown around her cage, hitting the sides and even the top then she flopped onto her side and started shaking, once we picked her up she calmed down, but she needed atleast 2 hours of cuddle befpre she perked up, unfortuantly she stopped eating and sleeping after this and the next night she had another, this time she really wasnt herself afterwards, she became very affectionate and hopping onto my knee to sleep (where as before she wasn't interested in cuddles!) i sat up nearly the whole night with her and the poor little girl really didn't want to go back into her cage :'( anyway we took her to the vets the next day and they gave me something to help feed her and something for parasites (as they didnt know what could have caused the fits) all friday night she was very weak and in need of constant affection and hourly feeding but i felt hopefull because she didn't have a fit that night, the next morning she hopped out of her cage seeming much perkier, i tried to feed her but she hopped away, i let her thinking she might want too have a little hop about first. However she suddenly took off around the room fitting again making horrible squeeking noises, i was distraught, paniking and crying, my boyfriend told me to leave my room but before i left i saw her on her side, she had started to stiffen and i could see the life draining from her gorgeous eyes. She was gone :'(

I feel like there should have been more i could have done, like it might have been my fault, she was given to the pet shop, alone, by a breeder who breeds for show, other breeders i have spoken to believe that breeder may have known something was wrong with her otherwise he wouldn't have given her away. Has anyone experienced any of this before?
My mam got her for me as an early christmas present and feels guilty and wants me to get another one but i can't ever replace Dixie and i'm too afraid of loving another pet so much and having her taken away from me in just over a month :(

:( I am so very sorry for your loss.

If you do feel you want to get another bunny at some time, it will never replace Dixie. They all hold a special place in our hearts.

I know you may not want to think about it yet, but if and when you do there are lots of rescues on here who may have a bunny you can help give a caring, loving forever home to.

You can never replace something you love so much, and Dixie is at the Bridge knowing that her Mummy will love her always.

Of course it wasn't anything you did, it is just so very lucky that Dixie got to have a happy and content month with you before becoming poorly.

I am so sorry for your loss :( Sleep tight Dixie.xx

I'm very sorry to read this sad story. :( It would be good if at some point in the future when you feel ready you could give a rescue bunny a loving home, maybe you could even see it as a tribute to Dixie rather than replacing her.

So very sorry for your loss. :cry:

I lost Tinker very suddenly from stasis and it broke my heart, still does after 9 months. (I had a little cry this past weekend).

But I now have Pebbles and Barnaby. They will never, can never, replace Tinker.

Dixie probably had health issues that you would have had no control over, so please don't blame yourself. When your heart has healed a little, there a thousands of bunnies that would love to share your life.

Binky free Dixie.

I'm so sorry for your loss. This really is a sad story and I'm sat in tears having read it, I know that you will never be able to replace Dixie but I'm sure you could give a very loving home to another bun who is really in need of a good and kind home- perhaps you could see it as a tribute to Dixie rather than replacing, after all every bun is very different and special in their own way.

Truly sorry for your loss xxx

She was like my baby, I never felt lonely when she was here, she used to do the funniest things, like hopping into the wardrobe but she would slide all over and even do the splits! I wish i could have done more, she never cuddled me but at the end i think she knew and i hope that was her way of telling me she loved me and good-bye, it's only been just over a week, i've never been so attatched to a pet before but like i said she was like a baby too me, so spoilt and loved :(

Some photo's of my little angel <3
(If you clicked on them you can see them larger)

Last edited:
Back