• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fifi is poorly! u/d She's gone :(

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Came home this afternoon to find little Fifi sat on a piece of vetbed with her head in the air and looked to be struggling to breathe. Took her to the vets straight away. She's had chest x-rays and an injection.Vet said its pneumonia possibly caused by pasturella. She's going back in the next two days for 2 more injections..hopefully she will improve :?

Last edited:
yeah she still seems to have an appetite. Hard to tell if she is drinking without sitting in the shed all night, but vet didnt say she was dehydrated. She had bit of apple and parsley when i put her back in her home and i sat her in a cat bed with snuggle safe under it and surrounded her with veggies. She nibbled on some hay too.

Just popped out to check on Fifi. The padlock on the shed was frozen so took a while to get in it!! :shock: Anyway when i went in all three of them were sat in a line on some vetbed with Fifi in the middle so hopefully they are looking after her. I tried putting her on the snugglesafe i put in there but she kept hopping off, hopefully the three of them will sit there instead once they realise its nice a warm. She didnt seem any worse than earlier so hopefully she'll be ok overnight.

Just popped out to check on Fifi. The padlock on the shed was frozen so took a while to get in it!! :shock: Anyway when i went in all three of them were sat in a line on some vetbed with Fifi in the middle so hopefully they are looking after her. I tried putting her on the snugglesafe i put in there but she kept hopping off, hopefully the three of them will sit there instead once they realise its nice a warm. She didnt seem any worse than earlier so hopefully she'll be ok overnight.

That is so sweet :love:

we have 3 outside with respiratory infections at the moment, the cold doesn't seem to be making them any worse. I hope Fifi is feeling better soon :)

Poor Fifi, please let us know how she is..

Dry cold is better than humid cold but if the shade is well protected against the wind, and humidity, in the warmth of the bedding it should be ok but when they are ill, they may need a bit of warming up inside ? How low is the temperature over there in England ? here we have minus 5 to minus 11, it depends on regions, and snow today.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. She wasnt really any different today. This morning she came over to me when i went in to feed them and was having a nibble of pellets, breathing still not great. This afternoon i went out again and she was still sat on the heatpad id sat her on in the morning, dont know if she'd moved off it, she was wet underneath and a few teeny weeny poos under her too. Brought her in and mushed up some pellets in warm water and tried syringe feeding her it, she literally tried to eat the syringe and when i put the bowl near her she was lapping it up like mad!! Guess she hadnt ventured over for water or anything. She went to vets again this evening for another jab, cant remember its name, began with a D. She's back out with the others on her heatpad again.
Dont know what temp is in shed but i would guess its not that much more than outside, obviously no wind though. They have several boxes of hay, 4 areas of carpet/vetbed and a catbed which is where the heatpad is. I havent kept her in for several reasons, the only spare room i have is now our nursery, if i bring her in id have to bring the others in, and, in this time of year how would i safely put them back out when she was better.
Im going to go out and try her with more mushy food, got some powdered food from vets for her., tried her with veggies but she wasnt interested, although i think thats probably because id filled her up with liquid feed.

We are back at vets at 4pm again tomorrow

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind thoughts. She wasnt really any different today. This morning she came over to me when i went in to feed them and was having a nibble of pellets, breathing still not great. This afternoon i went out again and she was still sat on the heatpad id sat her on in the morning, dont know if she'd moved off it, she was wet underneath and a few teeny weeny poos under her too. Brought her in and mushed up some pellets in warm water and tried syringe feeding her it, she literally tried to eat the syringe and when i put the bowl near her she was lapping it up like mad!! Guess she hadnt ventured over for water or anything. She went to vets again this evening for another jab, cant remember its name, began with a D. She's back out with the others on her heatpad again.
Dont know what temp is in shed but i would guess its not that much more than outside, obviously no wind though. They have several boxes of hay, 4 areas of carpet/vetbed and a catbed which is where the heatpad is. Im going to go out and try her with more mushy food, got some powdered food from vets for her., tried her with veggies but she wasnt interested, although i think thats probably because id filled her up with liquid feed.
We are back at vets at 4pm again tomorrow

Personally I think she needs to be indoors. I honestly dont think a Bun with pneumonia can cope outside in this extremely cold weather :cry:

It sounds as though she is on Depocillin. Has she had an anti-inflammatory too ?

Personally I think she needs to be indoors. I honestly dont think a Bun with pneumonia can cope outside in this extremely cold weather :cry:

It sounds as though she is on Depocillin. Has she had an anti-inflammatory too ?

I would have to agree with Jane. She does sound poorly if she is lifting her head to breathe and not self-feeding enough to keep her voluntarily eating and drinking. Buns in this condition really do need to be indoors i'm afraid. I too would be concerned that she would be unable to maintain her body temp. Pneumonia is extremely serious.

I realise you are expecting a baby soon and bringing indoors would mean an awful lot more work, especially as her companions would need to come in with her but a cool room in the house would be a lot warmer than the sub-zero temperatures outside tonight. Do you have any way of heating the shed as an alternative? Green house heater or tubular heater? Getting her over pneumonia is going to take a while, if you can't house them all inside you may need to bring her in on her own. I realise that separation from her bunny friends would be more stress on her immune system and far from ideal but unless you can heat that shed up I think she's going to struggle.

Use of Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories is going to be pretty crucial as well.
Lots of vibes for your little girl x

By the way we recently got a greenhouse heater for our greenhouse from B&Q. If there is any way you can run some electrics outside and have some sort of heater mounted up on a wall or shelf out of bunny reach then this may suffice. Cold air is only going to exacerbate her condition unfortunately. But if you can bring the temp in the shed up to 10 degrees say she stands a better chance of fighting this infection.

Yes, do keep her inside, otherwise she will get worst with the cold as I imagine you have the same weather as here...

Back