• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freezing rabbit pee & water in hutches?

Ambience

Warren Veteran
Anyone have frozen pee cleaning out hutches in this weather?

I am going to have to clean down the edges when the ice defrosts where the buns have pee'd. At the moment it's just ice and there is no moving it.

Any other suggestions appreciated.... I'd rather not wait for it to defrost and i don't want to use too much water as it's icing over as i clean the lino .

p.s I have very messy buns who use there litter tray and everywhere else in the hutch.

Anyone have frozen pee cleaning out hutches in this weather?

I am going to have to clean down the edges when the ice defrosts where the buns have pee'd. At the moment it's just ice and there is no moving it.

Any other suggestions appreciated.... I'd rather not wait for it to defrost and i don't want to use too much water as it's icing over as i clean the lino .

p.s I have very messy buns who use there litter tray and everywhere else in the hutch.

Its been colder here And I have never had this.And some of mine isnt litter trained either strange

:? Me neither, I clean litter trays daily or every other day at a stretch which is usually fine as they are on lots of megazorb and I add fresh hay.

What are using as litter??

I think the only way really is to put blankets or vetbed down on top of the lino, and/or some sort of hay/straw type bedding. I've never had this before either! :?

I think the only way really is to put blankets or vetbed down on top of the lino, and/or some sort of hay/straw type bedding. I've never had this before either! :?

Or lots of newspaper topped with straw and hay?? Ambience were is the wee sitting to freeze??

I had to use a scraper to clean buns toilet corner today, thier litter was solid with wee:shock:
These temperatures are horrendous:(

I had to use a scraper to clean buns toilet corner today, thier litter was solid with wee:shock:
These temperatures are horrendous:(

For one day?? It must be the litter to freeze that solid, I can't imagine megazorb would do that unless it was soaking would need to be a lot of wee to do that.

I have 4 sheets of newspaper for every two foot square area. I've ran out of bedding so I've got auboise sprinkled on (literally). Then i've got about four bin bags full of hay on top of that.

The lino goes all the way round the base of the hutch. So it's stapled underneath. At the sides where the lino couldn't go, it's just wood- droppings drop down there and pee where the buns -it's a 1cm dip, not level with the lino on the hutch, so it forms like a little moat around the edge of the lino.

I think i could do with some megazorb about now. Auboise is freezing even when I'm putting new stuff in, to the doors of the hutch.

The hay is deeply bedded, but i think because there is nothing much to absorb, it's freezing up abit with the newspaper and auboise underneath.

I use wood pellets and lots of hay on top, they have an underbed storage box (large one) so far I haven't had any problems *touches wood*.

Rabbit wee definitely frozen here in Nottingham here. I emptied their litter tray here this evening and just banged and banged it over the bin until most it eventually came out & could obviously then just wash/ scrape out the remainder.

Mercifully mine seem to be doing well at weeing in the litter tray :) or else it would be really nasty in their hutch. Best temp today was -6, was -8 at 10am...feels v v cold tonight, colder than last night.

AND disaster! Despite following instructions, somehow managed to melt my snugglesafe tonight - eeek!

I also had sunny pee in his water bowl which froze over too- yuk!
I've never seen anything like this in winters before, i think the hutch design may have something to do with it also.

iv never had frozen wee but cleaning up after my dog aint easy:lol:

Oh I don't know frozen poo is easier I think ewww:lol: I think Ambience once you get your megazorb it will help - having said that it is really cold here at
-3/4 so it must be horrendous at -10 or more, I suppose it's a liquid and in those temperatures it's going to freeze, I'd be inclined to use lots of newspaper maybe shred it aswell.

Frozen rabbit pee.

If your rabbits pee is freezing then their surroundings are not warm enough. A warm rabbit environment is a wooden floor, four inches of sawdust covered by a large amount of sweet hay. The hutch should be insulated with a tarpaulin cover, this can be stapled on and the window should be covered with a clear plastic with a few small air holes. After all that the bunnies need a weighted drop down cover that cant be blown up in the wind. Hope this helps you and your buns. Etta :wave:

If your rabbits pee is freezing then their surroundings are not warm enough. A warm rabbit environment is a wooden floor, four inches of sawdust covered by a large amount of sweet hay. The hutch should be insulated with a tarpaulin cover, this can be stapled on and the window should be covered with a clear plastic with a few small air holes. After all that the bunnies need a weighted drop down cover that cant be blown up in the wind. Hope this helps you and your buns. Etta :wave:

Where on earth did you get that information from?

Sawdust is VERY bad for most bunnies, as they breath it in and it causes respiratory issues.

I think ettaariane does have a point though - sufficient deep absorbent bedding in a well insulated hutch cleaned as regularly as possible should prevent urine from freezing in the hutch.

Back