• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Veggies To Feed Pixie?

Hey all, brrrrrr its cold.

Just a quickie. I was wondering what veggies to feed Pixie. Currently she has a small cabbage leaf most evenings. I also give her a carrott top every other day. Once a week or so a slice of carrot or the core. I will also give her a little of the cauliflour leaves on Sunday which she likes.

Do you think this is ok and what else can I give her as she seems to be eating less hay? Also do you give veggies daily and when, morning or night?

A friend gives hers cucumber too?????

Thanks all. :wave:

Hi :wave:
I feed mine mostly herbs, parsley, coriander, basil, dill and in the summer they also get grass and dandelion leaves. I also feed them carrott tops and rocket and an occasional tiny piece of brocolli, carrot or apple as a treat.

How much pellets do you feed her?

i feed mine kale, spring greens, basil, rosemary, thyme, lavender, sage, apple, green pepper and the odd carrot as a treat. Most of the above grow in the garden so they help themselves when they want which is nearly everytime they are out!

Just a quickie. I was wondering what veggies to feed Pixie. Currently she has a small cabbage leaf most evenings. I also give her a carrott top every other day. Once a week or so a slice of carrot or the core. I will also give her a little of the cauliflour leaves on Sunday which she likes.

Do you think this is ok and what else can I give her as she seems to be eating less hay? Also do you give veggies daily and when, morning or night?

Before i even comment, how old is Pixie?

i feed mine kale, spring greens, basil, rosemary, thyme, lavender, sage, apple, green pepper and the odd carrot as a treat. Most of the above grow in the garden so they help themselves when they want which is nearly everytime they are out!

not too much kale i found out a little while ago that kale is too high in calcium for buns, i was so shocked as i fed mine kale, they have sprin greens instead nnow :)

I usually feed three or four of the following per day:

Spring Greens
Bell Peppers
Celery
Basil
Rocket
Watercress
Spinach
Carrots
Brocolli
Swede
Curly Kale
Parsley
Grapes
Apple
Corriander
Cucumber

Remember to introduce them slowly, one by one, a little bit at a time.

why is she eating less hay? does she not like it? maybe try a new hay to encourage her to eat hay, i think the most important thing is hay, mine get veggies daily but a small amount as casper is a dental bun and i encourage him to eat as much hay as poss, they have a spring green each daily and then herbs as a weekly treat, i never feed carrot as it gives casper diarrhoea, i usally rip up the greens and mix it with the hay so they can forage it out through the day :) cabbage is great, and herbs can be a nice different thing to give mine love mint!

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

I won't bother pasting the RWAF Safe Foods link now then :p

ah sod it, in case anyone wants to bookmark it;

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/safefoods.htm

(thats where VickiP got the info)

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

If bunny is <12 weeks old - don't start with veg

If bunny is >12 weeks, introduce one veg at a time, small amounts leave for a couple of days and see if runny poops or anything occur.

Continue with that etc.

Hey all.

Im sorry I havent been on for a while, with Christmas comig an all Ive been really busy!
hat she doesnt like her hay as to why she wont eat it cause she seems to eat everythin else and shes drinking/pooing/weeing etc wel and in last few weeks put on a nce amount of weight
WOW what a list. This is great.
I have bought two plants from asda for 50p each, mint and sage. Hopefully Pixie will like and Ill stock up on more.

Im so clad I can givee her such a wide variety.

Shes about 6-7 months old now. I think its just that she doesnt like her hay as to why she wont eat it cause she seems to eat everythin else and shes drinking/pooing/weeing etc wel and in last few weeks put on a nce amount of weight.
My local pet place only sells meadow hay and I was hoping to give her a good variety but seems Ill have to stick to that. I have tried her on another that I managed to get hold of, dont know name with out going outside (brrr!) but it has dried nettles etc in. Turns nose up at that too!

Thanks guys x

why dont you order some hay online? and have you tried timothy? its available in a lot of pet shops including pets at home, they do their own brand and the alfalfa king brand.

also just wondering, why do you feed just the core of the carrot?

why dont you order some hay online? and have you tried timothy? its available in a lot of pet shops including pets at home, they do their own brand and the alfalfa king brand.

also just wondering, why do you feed just the core of the carrot?

Hi

I dont just give Pixie the core, she does have the rest too, sorry must be my wording haha.

Shes loving her new herbs that I have boughgt for her, Im hiding them in her hey so she foreging for them, also she loves cabbage, its the first thing she munches on!

How much pelletted/vegetable feed are you giving her per day?

Hi

Im feeding her a handfull of pellets twice a day and the same with her veggies. She eats the lot too. I do top up her hay each time too but as I said shes not eating it so I remove every couple days with fresh in place of it.
I mix her veggies in hay too so she is foraging through it and put hay an veg out when shes in her run too so its not too boring for her with no grass to eat at mo!

Back