• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

dirty paws - how to clean?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
My friend's rabbit does most of his toilet business at the bottom of the stairs in his hutch, and consequently has very dirty paws. I expect the only real answer is neutering and proper litter-training, but as I haven't had Spenser done yet I'm not really in a position to argue this. :oops: I have offered to help try to clean the dirty paws (we think it will be a two person job) and wonder if anyone has any tips?

I'm not sure ... frightened to ask. She did say she was going to do his corner more often now, but I still think he would be happier if we cleaned up his paws.

If this area is cleaned out daily he should be OK

I wouldn't want to wet paws as the fur is thick and drying it might be a problem. And walking on wet paws could cause sore hocks :?

He will clean them up himself as long as his bedroom area is kept clean. Are they matted? You can give them a gentle brush to get the muck out but if they're matted just leave them be, as you won't be able to get that out.

Noah's little white socks are a light green/yellow on the base from sitting in hay etc. I clean the litter trays regularly but his little feet don't stay white :roll: If this little fella's feet are really dirty, I agree with the others that she probably isn't changing them out as often as she should.

He will clean them up himself as long as his bedroom area is kept clean. Are they matted? You can give them a gentle brush to get the muck out but if they're matted just leave them be, as you won't be able to get that out.

They are not matted, just very, very dirty. :(

You can use a stiff brush gently or a very careful comb to get the muck out, but there's really no point unless his house is cleaned out regularly as they will get back to the same state. Unless he is a very calm bun it will probably stress him out too. I'd clean his house more often and leave him to do it himself, but obviously you have no control over the cleaning arrangements :(

chalk you can get from groomers is good for cleaning purposes and it means you dont have to get them wet either, which casper hates :lol: ill send you a link if you like =] you just sprinkle some on give it a little brush with a slicker brush and brush the excess chalk off this will take the dirt off with the chalk and there you go clean feet :) its for rabbits,dogs,cats and horses :)

but also regularly cleaning them would be the most important factor for health reasons too :)

Last edited:
I'm in two minds tbh, I have Dolly who is getting really dirty too, her hind paws and under her tail, their litter tray/enclosiure are cleaned everyday, and it's only her, other two are fine, they are litter trained so not walking around weeing everywhere, and they're cleaned out everyday, to me it begs the question is everything ok health wise, Dolly is booked in to the vet on Wed afternoon for a checkover, obviously this is my concern with Dolly as I know her kennel/trays are cleaned daily, can't speak for the other person who has the bunny though. :? would be worth trying to find out or could you pop round and ahve a brew and a peek ;).

I'm in two minds tbh, I have Dolly who is getting really dirty too, her hind paws and under her tail, their litter tray/enclosiure are cleaned everyday, and it's only her, other two are fine, they are litter trained so not walking around weeing everywhere, and they're cleaned out everyday, to me it begs the question is everything ok health wise, Dolly is booked in to the vet on Wed afternoon for a checkover, obviously this is my concern with Dolly as I know her kennel/trays are cleaned daily, can't speak for the other person who has the bunny though. :? would be worth trying to find out or could you pop round and ahve a brew and a peek ;).

It's a friend, which is why I can't say too much.

She doesn't have enough time as it is. :( I don't think the wee fellow is happy - rabbits are naturally clean animals, aren't they?

Why don't you try mentioning in conversation how often you clean Spenser out + describe your set up (inc litter bowl)? You could say "oh I was reading on the forum the other day & found out about litter bowls/training. It's so easy and Spenser has taken to it like a duck to water plus it saves me a lot of cleaning out time and is much nicer for him" :D

Sort of leading by example and so not actually telling her what she should do :D Paw cleaning shouldn't really be necessary and I doubt the bun would enjoy having it done :(

Regular cleaning is the best thing, and a thick layer of shavings/megazorb (or whatever you use) if the rabbit likes to dig.

You can also rub plain flour (or a mix of flour and water), which will absorb some of the dirt and encourage the rabbit to clean their own feet

Back