• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you get your buns in after free ranging in the garden

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
Ive moved house and its a much bigger garden than my other house.. took me about half hour to get him in last night!!:roll: Lol.. I used to shake his food tin in my old house and it used to work.. any ideas?:wave:

Food is probably the only thing that works. Mine don't free range, as I can't be outside with them all the time, and the foxes visit during daytime, too.

Sorry i might have mis worded it.. if thats a word lol! I mean i leave him run in the garden while im with him...but just cant get him back in after that :wave:

I've got to a point with mine where if I put a few pellets inside and start herding them saying "everybody in please, go on, get in." that they do go in quite quickly and the pellets keep them there while I chase any stragglers.

It's taken several months of chasing them to get to this point though. I think they've just realised that resistance is futile!

my neighbours bunny free ranges & they clap & stamp their feet then the bunny leaps about & runs back to his hutch area....bless him - he does take you for a run if he doesnt want to go back in yet though...:lol::lol::lol:

I have a soft broom :oops::oops::oops:

They see me with the broom and know its time to go in :oops: :lol:
They have also learnt what time i go out to feed them and they are usually already in... :love:

Last edited:
I herd Riley around the garden and he eventually goes into the hutch. He has also worked out that if he goes in the hutch at a certain time his dinner will be waiting for him :lol:

My rabbits go back to their hutch when they have finnished having a run around, for me it is a case of how do you keep the buns out to free range.

I rattle their dinner dishes under their noses and say 'dinner' in a high pitched voice!! They run ahead of me and hop into the shed themselves. Long may it continue!!! :lol:

Mine are brilliant now.
I used to shake a pot of pellets but now I just say "come on then" and walk behind them and they go back in.
There's the odd cheeky one that likes me to give them a bit of a chase, and they binky like nutters as they run back to their sheds:D

Shaking the food only works occasionally . . . usually it's a case of 'You want me to go in, you pick me up and give me cuddles, you annoyin HOOOOMIN' :lol::roll: So usually carry him into his hutch :lol::D

We always give our bunnies their veg at night, they know roughly what time it comes, so when they see us at that time, they run excitedly for veggies and we close the door to the run when they are safely inside and engrossed!

The important thing is to establish a routine so they know what to expect. Make it rewarding for them to go back in by timing it with feed time. All our rabbits are fed just before dark no matter what time of year so that they get shut in when they are fed both pellets and veg. Also use a consistant verbal prompt. I tend to say 'Go to bed.' It also helps not to handle them after they go in so they don't get suspicious about what you are up to. All the rabbits here tend to dive into their hutches when I enter their runs except a few who have little rituals like running once around the hutch first.

I realised the other day how well they understand the verbal prompt when I needed to get the rexes in early for some reason. I chased them round and round until I remembered to say 'Go to bed'. Then they stopped playing me up and went right in, as if they were saying oh thats what you wanted:lol:

Back